The Student Room Group

Slightly confused what UMS I need in my modules to get A* in Further Maths

Hi guys, title says it all, I need a bit of help.

I have 521 UMS in A-Level Maths, the modules being the normal Core modules and S1 + S2. I got 96 UMS in S2.

I have 253 UMS in AS Further Maths, the modules being FP1, D1 and M1.

I'm doing Further Maths A Level this year, and I'm taking these modules: FP2, S3 and M2.

I understand that because I have 96 in S2, it means that I need an average of 87 in both FP2 and S3 to get the A* in Further Maths. Does that mean I can put my M2 module into my normal Maths A-Level? Or does M2 have to be stuck with my Further Maths modules? In which case, I'll need to with my D1/M1 into my Maths modules?

I want to put M2 into my normal Maths A-Level, because obviously my UMS is a lot higher than the 480 UMS limit.

Hope you guys understand, thanks.
Reply 1
anyone?
What ever happens, you won't get a say at what goes where. They will be put in the best places for you to get the overall highest mark.

If it comes to it your A levels could even end up as:

Maths: C1-C4, M1, M2

Further: FP1-FP3, S1-S3

That's a possibility.

However, "they" will sort it out so you get the best possible marks.
Reply 3
The marks are arranged automatically to maximise your overall grade for maths primarily but also to maximise your further maths grade as long as this doesn't reduce your maths grade.

I'm on my phone at the moment but I can try and look up the exact rules for this.

If you want to post the UMS marks you have so far for all of your modules then it would be possible to look in to the different scenarios of what could happen.
Reply 4
Original post by ttoby
The marks are arranged automatically to maximise your overall grade for maths primarily but also to maximise your further maths grade as long as this doesn't reduce your maths grade.

I'm on my phone at the moment but I can try and look up the exact rules for this.

If you want to post the UMS marks you have so far for all of your modules then it would be possible to look in to the different scenarios of what could happen.

Alright, here goes:

C1 (86), C2 (91), C3 (87), C4 (78)

S1 (83), S2 (96), M1 (90), D1 (88)

FP1 (75)

Re-sitting C3 and C4, and I will be taking FP2, S3 and M2 in Further Maths A-Level.
Reply 5
Original post by AnharM
Alright, here goes:

C1 (86), C2 (91), C3 (87), C4 (78)

S1 (83), S2 (96), M1 (90), D1 (88)

FP1 (75)

Re-sitting C3 and C4, and I will be taking FP2, S3 and M2 in Further Maths A-Level.

Out of those modules, C1/C2/C3/C4 must count for maths, and FP1/FP2/S3 must count for further maths.

When they allocate modules, they use a method where they first allocate them to give the best possible grade for maths, then re-allocate them to give the best possible grade for further maths (maintaining your maths grade), then re-allocate them to give the best UMS marks for maths, maintaining your maths and further maths grades.

From the marks you have already, you're guaranteed at least an A in maths so the combination of modules must be one that gives you at least an A in maths.

If you end up having M2 count for maths then M1 must also count for maths so that you have a permitted combination of modules.

There are a few scenarios here, depending on whether or not you do well in M2. I won't go through all of them as there are so many things that can change. I'd recommend that you try out the likely scenarios in a spreadsheet to see what grades you might get. These figures could all vary depending on the results of your other modules and your resits.

If you do well in M2 (81 or above) then it would be in your interests to have S1/D1 count for maths, then you can use M2 to increase your further maths average which would make it easier to obtain an A or A* for further maths.

If you do less well in M2 then you could have M1/M2 count for maths then your S1/D1 marks can be used to help boost your further maths grades.

If you do even worse in M2 (below 48) then you could have S1/D1 count for maths (so you maintain the guaranteed A/A*) but unfortunately take a hit on your further maths marks.

Quick Reply

Latest