The Student Room Group

200 mile motorway journey at night, how fast would you go?

Assuming a clear road, and you have 4 passengers to split the fuel bill with, it's 10 pm at night, what speed would you set the cruise control of your BMW 320d to and why?

Scroll to see replies

Depends, are the passengers hot girls?
Reply 2
If there are average speed cameras then I'll stick to the speed limit or just under. Why get a speeding ticket/points on licence to save a few minutes?
Original post by dhr90
If there are average speed cameras then I'll stick to the speed limit or just under. Why get a speeding ticket/points on licence to save a few minutes?

Or just over? You're allowed to go over by 10% :smile:
Original post by Dusky Mauve

OK, so you're doing 77MPH down the motorway. How sure are you that your speedo is 100% accurate and doesn't read 2 MPH short?

Well if you are I've yet to see any police officers recognising that. :tongue:
Original post by scrotgrot
Depends, are the passengers hot girls?

Unfortunately not. Not even hot men
Original post by dhr90

No speed cameras
Original post by mikeyd85
OK, so you're doing 77MPH down the motorway. How sure are you that your speedo is 100% accurate and doesn't read 2 MPH short?

You don't. Just saying there is some leeway. The higher the limit, the bigger the leeway.

Original post by Genocidal

I think it's more for overtaking to be honest, not for more than a few seconds :')

It depends on the car too.

I have a high performance diesel, so it's perfectly safe at 100 mph where it's ticking over at 3000 rpm :smile:

But a teenager in a 10 year old Corsa ragging it at 90 is less safe

As far as I'm aware no speedo reads 2mph short, so if it was saying 77 then you wouldn't be going 79. I'm pretty sure all speedos over estimate your speed. In my car, I have to be travelling at 33mph to actually achieve 30mph. I don't know why all cars don't have an accurate speedo, I find it annoying as it gives people an excuse to speed even more.

In answer to the original question I would set the cruise control at 75mph which would be about 72mph, would be a mean copper to give you a ticket for travelling at 72mph.
Original post by Robbo-92
As far as I'm aware no speedo reads 2mph short, so if it was saying 77 then you wouldn't be going 79. I'm pretty sure all speedos over estimate your speed. In my car, I have to be travelling at 33mph to actually achieve 30mph. I don't know why all cars don't have an accurate speedo, I find it annoying as it gives people an excuse to speed even more.

Whilst I completely agree with what you're saying, that is kinda my point. :yep:
I may or may not do 100+
Original post by The Jargen
I may or may not do 100+

why would you and why wouldn't you?
Hypothetically, 95, because if I remember rightly risking immediate ban 100+ correct me if I'm wrong?

Realistically 70, I have a tracker

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by MissoniMissoni

No speed cameras

I'd probably still sit at 65-70. The engine in my car gets very noisy above 3000RPM which is where it sits at 70mph thus making conversation more difficult with the passengers you say I have to be driving. The ride becomes quite choppy and it starts to drink fuel like a drunk given a let loose in a Stella Artois factory which is just too expensive given what I earn.

I'm starting to think this is traintracks under a different username, or someone trying to copy. Oh well, thought we had got rid of that troll...
Original post by MissoniMissoni
why would you and why wouldn't you?

There's no reason to do or not to do it. However hypothetically if I were to do over over 100 it's because I have a need for speed.
Original post by The Jargen
There's no reason to do or not to do it. However hypothetically if I were to do over over 100 it's because I have a need for speed.

Well on a 200 mile journey there is a very real need for speed as it reduces the amount of time that 3 people are squished onto the back seat and leaves time for other activities at the other end :smile:
Original post by Robbo-92

Simple - because there are a number of factors that affect the rolling radius of your tyres, and therefore your speedo. The two most obvious are tyre pressure and wear. One of my friends had a car that over-read on new boots, but after a few thousand miles started to under-read.
Reply 18

Original post by Genocidal

The actual guidelines are here, page 8 on this link.
My needle would sit around ~80, which would translate to a speed between 70 and 75.

Quick Reply

Latest