The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

4 full weeks for me :frown:

So annoying that the maths exam is one of the last ones as well!!!

Year 11s only go one week before me so I don't get as much free time as I thought.

Year 10s double on Tuesday is cancelled though though due to some mocks which is nice. Year 8s have an exam on Thursday so the week should go quite nicely. 3 day break to Budapest booked during half term, something to look forward to.
What were you doing before you started your PGCE? Working? Studying?
Didn't get the job at my school direct main school. Devastated doesn't even cover it.
Original post by TraineeLynsey
Didn't get the job at my school direct main school. Devastated doesn't even cover it.

I'm so terribly sorry. It's no comfort to you now, but there's nearly always an agenda the candidates are unaware of in these things - there may be a slot on a timetable needing filling in a particular subject and one of the candidates can offer that, for example. It's very rarely a simple 'They hate me!' scenario. I'm a massive believer in 'What's meant to be won't pass you by' and there are definite advantages to starting somewhere afresh after your PGCE year. For a start, your future new school hasn't seen you making mistakes and they won't come back to haunt you!

Chin up, chuck. Onward and upward. There's a job out there with your name on it, and you'll find it soon. :console:
Original post by carnationlilyrose
I'm so terribly sorry. It's no comfort to you now, but there's nearly always an agenda the candidates are unaware of in these things - there may be a slot on a timetable needing filling in a particular subject and oone of the candidates can offer that, for example. It's very rarely a simple 'They hate me!' scenario. I'm a massive believer in 'What's meant to be won't pass you by' and there are definite advantages to starting somewhere afresh after your PGCE year. For a start, your future new school hasn't seen you making mistakes and they won't come back to haunt you!

Chin up, chuck. Onward and upward. There's a job out there with your name on it, and you'll find it soon. :console:

Thanks.

I know they value me and have given me a glowing reference. I felt myself that I didn't interview as strongly as I had elsewhere the day before and both the head and deputy said they've been in the same situation in the past and acknowledged that it's very difficult applying for a job in a school you already work in.

It came down to the decision of the governor*and it's some comfort to know the candidate they selected has 1 term of her nqt year under her belt. Apparently there was a huge difference in her interview compared to everyone else (more in depth answers etc) which they put down to her additional experience.

I've got another interview on Thursday which*I'm feeling quite positive about and a list of 9 or 10 other schools I'm getting ready to apply to.

That said, I was told today that there's a teacher at my current school who had an interview today and that if she goes the governor is 'leaving it up to the head what to do'. I don't know exactly what they mean by that, but I suppose time will tell.
Thanks.

I know they value me and have given me a glowing reference. I felt myself that I didn't interview as strongly as I had elsewhere the day before and both the head and deputy said they've been in the same situation in the past and acknowledged that it's very difficult applying for a job in a school you already work in.

It came down to the decision of the governor*and it's some comfort to know the candidate they selected has 1 term of her nqt year under her belt. Apparently there was a huge difference in her interview compared to everyone else (more in depth answers etc) which they put down to her additional experience.

I've got another interview on Thursday which*I'm feeling quite positive about and a list of 9 or 10 other schools I'm getting ready to apply to.

That said, I was told today that there's a teacher at my current school who had an interview today and that if she goes the governor is 'leaving it up to the head what to do'. I don't know exactly what they mean by that, but I suppose time will tell.
Well, there you probably have it - a term of NQT already done is a third of the bother already out of the way for them. Something will turn up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for Thursday.:smile:
Thanks.

Big hugs. I recently had an interview at my old secondary school, and I didn't get it. Was absolutely devastated but afterwards when I did get a job at another school, I felt like I would much rather start somewhere afresh. :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Half term......In 3.... days.....

This term has dragged!!!

Absolutely dragged, slower than a snail.

Getting observed officially on Friday from University just to piss me off.
This week is indeed dragging, knew it would do! I'm only one day ahead in lesson planning now but had a really good day today with my 3 lessons - even though at times I still feel like what am I doing, this is awful etc the end result seems to be positive and I am enjoying the teaching now it's so close to the end and there's not that much pressure.

So tired now, was going to mark the rest of year 9 assessments but will do it in my frees tomorrow I think!

Half term is going to be so sweet.
Was contemplating how awful one might need to feel to be unable to go to school. From teacher's side, of course.
Well, the rising fever answered it for me. The timing is the worst though! I don't think half-term is going to be even a tiny bit of fresh air. Too many things to do.

And I thought getting a job would put some weight off my shoulders...

Rant over!
Original post by lantan
Was contemplating how awful one might need to feel to be unable to go to school. From teacher's side, of course.
Well, the rising fever answered it for me. The timing is the worst though! I don't think half-term is going to be even a tiny bit of fresh air. Too many things to do.

And I thought getting a job would put some weight off my shoulders...

Rant over!

I did the same today and realised I couldn't go in like this... One of my fellow trainees commented it could be stress related as I haven't had the easiest term.
Was meant to have my two observations for the week today too and there are limited lessons left to do that now :/
Original post by Shelly_x
I did the same today and realised I couldn't go in like this... One of my fellow trainees commented it could be stress related as I haven't had the easiest term.
Was meant to have my two observations for the week today too and there are limited lessons left to do that now :/

For the first time in my life I had physical manifestations of stress this past week. I was waiting to hear about the job I really wanted and was sick to my stomach - cramps and everything. I've barely eaten since Friday.
Original post by Shelly_x

I think the job hunt and double stress of it + usual school did it. I am now down with the heaviest flu I've had for a loooong time and I just don't know what to do. The end of my course and the Assessment is looming over me and now I am more and more stressed about it.
I've been off the last couple of days and probably won't be back tomorrow either, I've got a kidney infection. I was supposed to have my Assessment Point 2 meeting and find out what I'm teaching next half term this afternoon too, and I haven't had any observations this week either. Can't believe this is happening now with only four weeks to go! Supposed to be at uni Friday but I'm thinking I'm going to have to go in and have this meeting, hope this doesn't affect my grading :frown: If i got a 3 or 4 now I think I'd loose the will to live.
Had another interview this morning. Now completely freaking out and waiting for the phone to ring. Aarrgh!
Had another interview this morning. Now completely freaking out and waiting for the phone to ring. Aarrgh!

Argh good luck!! Fingers crossed :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone have any idea how successful agencies like Reed are in finding permanent positions??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got the job!! Ecstatic!
Got the job!! Ecstatic!

Woah, well done! Super happy for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
Woah, well done! Super happy for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Third time lucky I guess. Makes the utter devastation of not getting the job at my School Direct place on Monday all worthwhile!

Best of luck to those still looking - it'll happen for us all soon enough!

Quick Reply

Latest