The Student Room Group

How do you organise your book/film/music collection?

Poll

How do you organise your book/film/music collection?

Personally I'm a person who likes my books to be organised alphabetically by author, but then films I do by genre (so my disney stuff stays together, then my teen movie kinda things, adventure movies etc. etc.). My music on iTunes is sorted alphabetically by artist but the CDs I have are just randomly shoved into a box once I've put them on the computer.

How do you guys organise things? Or do you not? Is it all just a mess.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Personally I'm a person who likes my books to be organised alphabetically by author, but then films I do by genre (so my disney stuff stays together, then my teen movie kinda things, adventure movies etc. etc.). My music on iTunes is sorted alphabetically by artist but the CDs I have are just randomly shoved into a box once I've put them on the computer.

Windows explorer organises all of my Videos into alphabetical order for me.

And all of my music is done by Artist, Which is again alphabetical.

I find it easier with my 400+ films in one giant folder to just have it alphabetical as then i know i'll find Frozen under F-r-. If i did genre sub folders i'd have to check animations, kids films and Aweosme musical films before i finally found it.

My real life CDs/Games/DVDs are all still in a box from when i moved a year ago.

Videogames were always organised with most recently played at the top to not played in ages at the bottom.
If it's electronically, from A-Z then a New Folder at N for when I want to play current stuff. When current stuff simply get's older I put them into their respective artist folders.
Books are arranged by colour but my CD's are arranged alphabetically by band.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All music is on computer. Any cds I still have are in glovebox of car.
Don't have any films or dvds.

Books are on bookshelves. I have about 2000 books spread over 10 large shelves covering the living room wall, each shelf has a particular genre. One for economics, one for science, one for cricket etc. etc. They're arranged very roughly in size order with the bigger books on the outside leaning against the divider.
music: alphabetical by artist, then chronological.
Books: alphabetical by genre, then alphabetical by writer, then by release date
DVD's: by genre, then alphabetically.
I colour code.

not particularly practical but more aesthetically pleasing.
Original post by Georgie_M
I colour code.

not particularly practical but more aesthetically pleasing.

Ooo interesting! Actually that's true, I do non-fiction books by height for aesthetic reasons!
Ooo interesting! Actually that's true, I do non-fiction books by height for aesthetic reasons!

Haha yes that's true I do non-fiction by height as well, some of those books would be too tiny next to a massive text book!
Original post by Georgie_M
Haha yes that's true I do non-fiction by height as well, some of those books would be too tiny next to a massive text book!

Exactly, don't want books to get lost in the bookshelf!!

What really annoys me is when you have a book that's too tall and you have to flip it so it isn't spine out to fit it in the shelf.
Geographically. :russia:
Original post by superwolf
Geographically. :russia:

I'm confused! Examples?
I'm confused! Examples?

All the books from Russian authors go together. All the books from Irish authors go together. All the books from Chilean authors go together. Repeat until run out of books. :tongue:
All the books from Russian authors go together. All the books from Irish authors go together. All the books from Chilean authors go together. Repeat until run out of books. :tongue:

Woah that's awesome! I don't think I've got a massive spread geographically of authors!

You should get a bookcase like this but for the whole world and arrange like that

Woah that's awesome! I don't think I've got a massive spread geographically of authors!

You should get a bookcase like this but for the whole world and arrange like that

:yy: Would be a significant improvement on my current 'piled into cardboard boxes' storage system. :tongue:
:yy: Would be a significant improvement on my current 'piled into cardboard boxes' storage system. :tongue:

You should do it!!!
Original post by cole-slaw
All music is on computer. Any cds I still have are in glovebox of car.
Don't have any films or dvds.

Books are on bookshelves. I have about 2000 books spread over 10 large shelves covering the living room wall, each shelf has a particular genre. One for economics, one for science, one for cricket etc. etc. They're arranged very roughly in size order with the bigger books on the outside leaning against the divider.

Sound cool!

I've noticed there is a tendency (though it's not exact) for a lot of my collections of books, films etc to get better as you go along and down the shelves but I guess that's just because as I've got older and acquired more, my taste has improved and I've just put newer stuff at the end after the last one I got. I've never really put much thought in to it - i'm not an organised person by any means.
Reply 18
If i tried to organise it would look horrendous and i would get lost :smile: I just tend to know where everything is... I used to be really strict and used to alphabetise everything but that got hard to keep up :smile:

The bulk of my collection is fiction and I organise in the date that I've read them, so they form a diary of memories from what I was doing at the time I read them.

The exceptions are non-fiction like text books, art books etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending