The Student Room Group

CIE A Level Psychology! p3 discussion thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey,you know how to answer section part b. (Suggestion one)?.I am having problem with that one.
Section C? The one where you come up with your own study? What I do is first think about if its going to be longitudinal or short term study. Then i think how ill gather my data. Either by self reports or observations etc.

Have an specific question in mind?
Original post by Twinkle_07
Section C? The one where you come up with your own study? What I do is first think about if its going to be longitudinal or short term study. Then i think how ill gather my data. Either by self reports or observations etc.

Hi, I am also doing A2 psych, can anybody give me an model answer of one past paper, I am really confused, I don't know how to attempt it. Please help me soon.
Yeah, it's the same with me. I need to look at model answers, especially for section B
Reply 24
Section C? The one where you come up with your own study? What I do is first think about if its going to be longitudinal or short term study. Then i think how ill gather my data. Eithhier by self reports or observations etc.

That helped a bit somehow xD
hmm.e.g there's this question 'suggest how you would investigate whether the data from one case study applies to other people with schizophrenia?' (May/june '13/33)
Reply 25
Original post by ali,naqvi
Hi, I am also doing A2 psych, can anybody give me an model answer of one past paper, I am really confused, I don't know how to attempt it. Please help me soon.

Dude,that would be a GREAT help for everyone.Too bad we don't have those :P
Original post by behappy20
That helped a bit somehow xD
hmm.e.g there's this question 'suggest how you would investigate whether the data from one case study applies to other people with schizophrenia?' (May/june '13/33)

This is what i would write. Im in no way saying that this is the right answer. Im sure there are better answers than mine.

Firstly it s hard to generalize results from case studies when the sample is not statistically representative of the whole population. But my gathering very accurate an detailed description about the case study, will allow me to properly compare the findings to other individuals. Also not full relying on qualitative data, as it is harder to compare and analyse, but also quantitative data. I would have a minimum of 30 patients, and compare all the basic details, such as are hallucinations present? By doing this it will help me to narrow down my 30+ patients to a lesser number. Then by again screening them for different symptoms, causes and the appropriate treatments. Finally i will make up all my results by a ratio to get a fair idea of if data from one case study can be generalized.

I would obviously go into detail, depending on the amount of marks allotted.

Please let me know how you would investigate it so i can get an idea where i stand.
Reply 27
This is what i would write. Im in no way saying that this is the right answer. Im sure there are better answers than mine.

Firstly it s hard to generalize results from case studies when the sample is not statistically representative of the whole population. But my gathering very accurate an detailed description about the case study, will allow me to properly compare the findings to other individuals. Also not full relying on qualitative data, as it is harder to compare and analyse, but also quantitative data. I would have a minimum of 30 patients, and compare all the basic details, such as are hallucinations present? By doing this it will help me to narrow down my 30+ patients to a lesser number. Then by again screening them for different symptoms, causes and the appropriate treatments. Finally i will make up all my results by a ratio to get a fair idea of if data from one case study can be generalized.

I would obviously go into detail, depending on the amount of marks allotted.

Please let me know how you would investigate it so i can get an idea where i stand.

This is the question I got stuck on badly,so I'm not gonna try answering this one.Maybe another :P
This is the question I got stuck on badly,so I'm not gonna try answering this one.Maybe another :P

Okay cool. Show me how you answer the other one, so i can understanding where im going wrong :smile:
Reply 29
Okay cool. Show me how you answer the other one, so i can understanding where im going wrong :smile:

umm..ok.
q-Suggest an alternative way in which obsessive-compulsive disorder can be measured without using a self-report questionnaire? (8)

-A person with OCD experiences obsessions and compulsions.Obsessions include recurrent and persistent thoughts,impulses or images that a person attempts to ignore and suppress or try to neutralize them with compulsions (which are irresistible,repetitive physical and mental actions carried out to reduce anxiety produced by obsessions).

It can be measured through behavioral approach by using an observational technique.People close to the patient e.g family members or friends can be used as observers as they can gather data quite easily by either talking with the patient to assess obsessions and observing them behave.Two or more members can observe obsessions and compulsions in the patient which will ensure the inter-rater reliability, using a rating scale designed to measure the symptoms of OCD.
It can include the types of obsessions and compulsions,frequency of compulsive acts e.g washing hands,and the amount of time spent on those acts.Any unusual observation can be noted down.This will help gather both quantitative and qualitative data.
The study should be carried out for at least 2 weeks since that is the minimum time of o-c carried out to classify someone's behavior as being OCD.
The mean values should be calculated and compared with results from a control group/normal values.

Cannot think of more points right now :P
Original post by ali,naqvi

Are you doing A level in CIE?
I have a doubt.

If the question is describe the models of abnormalilty what do we include? Just the models and their treatments? And include the 4 definitions of abnormalilty?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 32
I have a doubt.

If the question is describe the models of abnormalilty what do we include? Just the models and their treatments? And include the 4 definitions of abnormalilty?

Yes,that's about it.You don't need to evaluate in the description question.You'll just describe them and a little detail on treatment.
Yes,that's about it.You don't need to evaluate in the description question.You'll just describe them and a little detail on treatment.

I have to include the 4 definitions of abnormality also?

Thanks!
Reply 34
I have to include the 4 definitions of abnormality also?

Thanks!

Well,according to my study of past papers and mark schemes in questions like 'describe what psychologists have found out about models of abnormality?',you can include the definitions. But in a question like 'describe the models of abnormality' ,you don't need to include the definitions but only descibe the models.
Soo, You may or may not include them.You can still gain full credit without including them and just deciding the models in detail :smile:
Infact it's a good decision to describe few points in detail rather than including a long list of points without explaining them.

Hope that answers your question,as I myself am not experienced enough :smile:
Well,according to my study of past papers and mark schemes in questions like 'describe what psychologists have found out about models of abnormality?',you can include the definitions. But in a question like 'describe the models of abnormality' ,you don't need to include the definitions but only descibe the models.
Soo, You may or may not include them.You can still gain full credit without including them and just deciding the models in detail :smile:
Infact it's a good decision to describe few points in detail rather than including a long list of points without explaining them.

Hope that answers your question,as I myself am not experienced enough :smile:

Thanks man..
How's Health going?
Reply 36
Thanks man..
How's Health going?

Health's good too :smile:
what about education?
Health's good too :smile:
what about education?

Its good, its good :smile:
Reply 38
:smile:
I have a question. Suggest how you would gather data to test the ‘deviation of social norms’ explanation of abnormality

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending