The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thevasil
Did they say why they rejected you? If they reject you once and you apply again do they treat you any differently? Such as giving you a higher priority or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fairly certain the LSE never gives feedback, and I doubt they give special consideration for re-applicants. Btw, it doesn't matter what your predictions are if you receive an offer - if you achieve its conditions, you are in.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Got an offer for a single room en suite at Bankside on a 40 week contract but would have preferred Rosebery or Carr-Saunders. Any offers for a swap PM me
Original post by sroberts1234
Got an offer for a single room en suite at Bankside on a 40 week contract but would have preferred Rosebery or Carr-Saunders. Any offers for a swap PM me

How do you know that it's a single ensuite? Did they state that in your hallpad? I was given an offer for a room at Bankside as well, but they didn't tell me what type of room I'm gonna be having. They told me that I won't find out the type until later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Proper panicking me.

I (really stupidly) didn't realise that you had to pay the deposit within 7 days of getting an offer. I got an offer on Tuesday, was such a busy week I couldn't accept it till Friday.

Found out on Friday night when I accepted that the deposit was due by Tuesday...sheeeet. Don't get paid till this coming Friday and def can't afford it until then.

Meanwhile, accommodation office is closed on weekends so I sent them a couple of emails. No replies yet, and I've been periodically trying to ring them for most of today with no luck - just going to a voicemail that I've left messages on.

Soooo, my offer expires tomorrow and I don't think I'm guaranteed accommodation if I apply again!
Anyone else heard back from accommodations?

Whats the wait time?
Original post by StretfordEnd
Proper panicking me.

I (really stupidly) didn't realise that you had to pay the deposit within 7 days of getting an offer. I got an offer on Tuesday, was such a busy week I couldn't accept it till Friday.

Found out on Friday night when I accepted that the deposit was due by Tuesday...sheeeet. Don't get paid till this coming Friday and def can't afford it until then.

Meanwhile, accommodation office is closed on weekends so I sent them a couple of emails. No replies yet, and I've been periodically trying to ring them for most of today with no luck - just going to a voicemail that I've left messages on.

Soooo, my offer expires tomorrow and I don't think I'm guaranteed accommodation if I apply again!

Overdraft? How much is the deposit?
Original post by NedStark

I dont have an overdraft - I was a financial idiot from 18-22 to say the least!

I think I may be alright - I sit on the governing body of the college I attend and the absolutely legendary colleagues I have on the board have done a whip around to front me the money!

Also, desposit is £250, for Rosebery. Not sure if this is true for all Halls though
Guys would they accept you if your offer was AAA but you got A*A*B or A*AB?
I applied for history.

I think I may be alright - I sit on the governing body of the college I attend and the absolutely legendary colleagues I have on the board have done a whip around to front me the money!

Also, desposit is £250, for Rosebery. Not sure if this is true for all Halls though

Wow, that's pretty cool of them.

£250 for Northumberland House as well

Original post by Caecilius
Wow, that's pretty cool of them.

£250 for Northumberland House as well

£250 jesus christ, I might have to save a bit then, thanks for the heads up though. Was planning to go crazy after the exams.
£250 jesus christ, I might have to save a bit then, thanks for the heads up though. Was planning to go crazy after the exams.

Can't you ask your parents to cover it? It is just a deposit, after all - you can repay your parents when you get your student finance.
Original post by arminb
Guys would they accept you if your offer was AAA but you got A*A*B or A*AB?
I applied for history.

Probably A*A*B, doubt they'd accept A*AB.
Original post by Caecilius
Can't you ask your parents to cover it? It is just a deposit, after all - you can repay your parents when you get your student finance.

Yeah I'll probably do that if it comes to it, but first I need to find out where I've been allocated. If it's the intercollegiate ones then I'll probably commute.
Hey,guys, I'm taking the AS exams this month plus next month, LSE is really my dreamy school ever since I started learning IGCSE, but the truth is I don't think I did well on my exams.... so I'm wondering, if by any chance that I would be qualified to apply LSE if my further math gets 95+, Economics gets 90+, Physics 90+? And how much the exam results of IG matters? well, I'm basically all A* and A, but I got two very embarrassing grades too, will it be an obstacle?
(edited 9 years ago)
Proper panicking me.

I'm delaying applying for accommodation purely on the basis that I'm saving up money to pay the deposit as I can't risk receiving and offer only to have it rescinded by not paying on time. The worst possible things is moving to London with guaranteed accomodation, would be a nightmare.

I emailed my query - can payment of the deposit be delayed for those relying on Student Loans? - to the Accommodation Team and they referred me to the Fees Team only for them to refer me back to Accommodation Team. I'm royally pissed off and can imagine you're in a tricky situation pal. How have things turned out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doppelgänger
I'm delaying applying for accommodation purely on the basis that I'm saving up money to pay the deposit as I can't risk receiving and offer only to have it rescinded by not paying on time. The worst possible things is moving to London with guaranteed accomodation, would be a nightmare.

I emailed my query - can payment of the deposit be delayed for those relying on Student Loans? - to the Accommodation Team and they referred me to the Fees Team only for them to refer me back to Accommodation Team. I'm royally pissed off and can imagine you're in a tricky situation pal. How have things turned out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally unimpressed with them to be honest.

Sent them an email on Sunday 18/05 informing them of my situation.
Rang them twice on Monday 19/05 with no response, left 2 voicemails with my student ID and all the details of my situation.
Had no response to either email or calls all day until 5:50pm:
1)They didn't even acknowledge what my problem was. They just said 'Thanks for calling, what can we help you with?'
2)I think it was deliberately cynical - they finally got back to me after outside of their stated office hours so even if I responded to the email immediately they could have claimed they weren't at work etc.

...That's the last communication I've had from them. Luckily I've been extremely lucky that the board of governors I sit on have offered to help me out, which is an incredible gesture, but it was an 11th hour save to be honest. As far as the accommodation office were concerned, I had no way to pay the deposit and they didn't bother getting back to me - even if only to say 'Sorry mate, there's nothing we can do'.

I was honestly tempted not to take halls of residence out of principle but I know I'd just be cutting off my nose to spite my face; but either way once I take up my place I'm going to pester the **** out of the SU and the Welfare & Communities officer in particular to sort it out. It's properly unacceptable tbh.

(Sorry for the rant.)
Original post by May-o2q
Hello, they accepted me 4 days after I applied. Bankside! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done! Can I ask what you got in your AS exams and what it is you plan to study?
Totally unimpressed with them to be honest.

Sent them an email on Sunday 18/05 informing them of my situation.
Rang them twice on Monday 19/05 with no response, left 2 voicemails with my student ID and all the details of my situation.
Had no response to either email or calls all day until 5:50pm:
1)They didn't even acknowledge what my problem was. They just said 'Thanks for calling, what can we help you with?'
2)I think it was deliberately cynical - they finally got back to me after outside of their stated office hours so even if I responded to the email immediately they could have claimed they weren't at work etc.

...That's the last communication I've had from them. Luckily I've been extremely lucky that the board of governors I sit on have offered to help me out, which is an incredible gesture, but it was an 11th hour save to be honest. As far as the accommodation office were concerned, I had no way to pay the deposit and they didn't bother getting back to me - even if only to say 'Sorry mate, there's nothing we can do'.

I was honestly tempted not to take halls of residence out of principle but I know I'd just be cutting off my nose to spite my face; but either way once I take up my place I'm going to pester the **** out of the SU and the Welfare & Communities officer in particular to sort it out. It's properly unacceptable tbh.

(Sorry for the rant.)

Dude you're rant is legitimate. I totally understand where you're coming from and will be doing the same regarding pestering the SU to get this situation addressed. My impression and experience of LSE has been exemplary, but there is an air of neglect/arrogance about the institution for it not to have provisions in place for deposit delays like I know other Unis do. They may well have too, but they must improve their customer service as at the end of the day it is us students who are consumers and our expectations must be met within reason.

Oh and you're fortunate that you have those good kind of friends/connections to bail you out in your hour of need. Glad you at least have some form of resolution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reckon you can do Statistics at LSE without having done further maths? I am studying maths, chemistry, biology and psychology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by viddyITALL
Reckon you can do Statistics at LSE without having done further maths? I am studying maths, chemistry, biology and psychology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I have an offer for BMS :smile:. Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemsitry AS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending