The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Physics P1 June 2014 (19/05/2014)

What did everyone think of the paper?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Footyrulez

Piece of cake
Reply 2
I found it pretty hard
Reply 3
what did you put for the voltage question?
Reply 4
Original post by ew509
what did you put for the voltage question?

0.5 V
Reply 5
Original post by Footyrulez

What was the answer to the MCQ with all the graphs?
I thought it was okay, but just that... What did everyone think of the 6 markers?
Reply 7
Original post by clareeey
I thought it was okay, but just that... What did everyone think of the 6 markers?

The second 6-marker (red shift) should have been a 4 marker IMO. There isn't 6 marks worth of elaborated information that links red shift to the expansion of space. Black spectra shift towards the red end of the spectrum (so the wavelengths become longer) of the observed galaxies... this is proportional with the distance between the centre of the observable universe (Earth) and the distant galaxy. There isn't much else you can write for it.

I just added how this supports both the Steady State and Big Bang theory, and described the differences between the two - (Steady State says new matter is being created whilst the fabric of space expands and the Big Bang theory states that matter has expanded from a super-dense singularity.)
Original post by Parallex
The second 6-marker (red shift) should have been a 4 marker IMO. There isn't 6 marks worth of elaborated information that links red shift to the expansion of space. Black spectra shift towards the red end of the spectrum (so the wavelengths become longer) of the observed galaxies... this is proportional with the distance between the centre of the observable universe (Earth) and the distant galaxy. There isn't much else you can write for it.

I just added how this supports both the Steady State and Big Bang theory, and described the differences between the two - (Steady State says new matter is being created whilst the fabric of space expands and the Big Bang theory states that matter has expanded from a super-dense singularity.)

That's what I thought... I didn't have all that much for the other 6 marker too. In desperation I decided to draw some little diagrams too. Much of my class didn't really like the paper :cool:
Reply 9
Original post by clareeey
That's what I thought... I didn't have all that much for the other 6 marker too. In desperation I decided to draw some little diagrams too. Much of my class didn't really like the paper :cool:

It was a nasty paper, I agree. The shock absorber and spring questions... minor topics in the specification made into a lot of questions. I feel as though I've done well in it, but it was a nasty paper. I reckon the grade boundaries will be lowered too this year.
It was a nasty paper, I agree. The shock absorber and spring questions... minor topics in the specification made into a lot of questions. I feel as though I've done well in it, but it was a nasty paper. I reckon the grade boundaries will be lowered too this year.

I'm trying to compare how I thought about it to how I felt after my mock, really would like an a* so I hope the boundaries are quite low. There was definately an excessive amount of the shock absorber :mad:

That is exactly how i feel about the paper in general. Hopefully as you said the grade boundaries are very low.
Original post by iamjavier

I put a but i am not sure what the actual answer was.
I put c with the two vertical lines but idk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iamjavier

I thought that c looked the most alternating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
It was b because the device was a step up tranaformer
It was B because: A and D were eliminated as they went back in time and C was eliminated (not sure of the reasoning but I know it's not) because the voltage completely stopped at one point.

P1 exam totally destroyed me lol, I prefer P3
Reply 17
I know omg, it required quite a lot of thought :c
Everyone's progress is like P1 = full marks, then it starts levelling off at P3, I'm the complete opposite, can't do P1 for my life. :mad:
Original post by Jorann
I know omg, it required quite a lot of thought :c

Lol Jorann S'up :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending