The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature LT4 exam

Is anyone who is doing this exam on 6th June doing William Blake and an unseen? I really need some help with it. I'm finding it hard to crack Blake and the unseen. I did a practice essay and got 32 out of 40, which is just an A, I really need to be getting very high marks in each section because I'm trying to get an A* overall. Thanks. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rebeccapally
Is anyone who is doing this exam on 6th June doing William Blake and an unseen? I really need some help with it. I'm finding it hard to crack Blake and the unseen. I did a practice essay and got 32 out of 40, which is just an A, I really need to be getting very high marks in each section because I'm trying to get an A* overall. Thanks. :smile:

Hi- I'm starting to feel like a complete stalker of your threads, haha! I'm not really sure how qualified I am to help you (because I didn't get an A* in the end) but I do have a practice essay in which I got 39/40 and I can give you a copy of that if that will be any help? If you think it will be of any use let me know and I'll give you a copy. The unseen can seem quite daunting to begin with but you only need to skim over it in your discussion, (it can seem quite odd when you are more accustomed to deep analysis) and once you get used to that I am sure you will be fine. I know you are disappointed with 32 out of 40 but that is a really good starting point! Best of luck :smile:
Original post by RainReader
Hi- I'm starting to feel like a complete stalker of your threads, haha! I'm not really sure how qualified I am to help you (because I didn't get an A* in the end) but I do have a practice essay in which I got 39/40 and I can give you a copy of that if that will be any help? If you think it will be of any use let me know and I'll give you a copy. The unseen can seem quite daunting to begin with but you only need to skim over it in your discussion, (it can seem quite odd when you are more accustomed to deep analysis) and once you get used to that I am sure you will be fine. I know you are disappointed with 32 out of 40 but that is a really good starting point! Best of luck :smile:

Haha no you're not :smile: that would be so helpful thank you! Is it possible to send here? If not don't worry. Thanks for your help. :smile:
Haha no you're not :smile: that would be so helpful thank you! Is it possible to send here? If not don't worry. Thanks for your help. :smile:

Hopefully so- there should be some way of sending documents, it's just whether I can find it haha :rolleyes: . I have an exam tomorrow, but I will try and send it after that. If not, I suppose I could just pass it on to you in Classics?
Oh good luck in your exam!
Don't go out of your way to find it if you've got other stuff to do, please. :smile:
Aw no, unfortunately last week was my last Classics lesson, I have an art exam running through this whole week and next week's half term so. :/

Ah, understood. Good luck in you art exam! :smile: (This is actually the first year in ages that I haven't had an art exam- it's a little strange.. )
It's fine honestly- finding the essay was surprisingly easily, I actually meant whether I could find the method of sending it (I'm technologically challenged :tongue:) I'll try and do so tomorrow though. When is your English exam?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5

i'm doing this exam myself! i'm struggling too, was never taught about iambic metres, and trochaic rhythms so im teaching myself all of this haha i think as long as we just remember to do all of the aos in every paragraph (a great deal of emphasis on ao2) then we should be fine, God willing! sorry i couldnt be of anymore help!

aww is it possible for me to see your essay too? :P
Original post by omgitslalita
aww is it possible for me to see your essay too? :P

I would normally say yes, but unfortunately it is handwritten and there is no way of attaching files on here. :redface:
what kind of questions do you think will come up? I am so scared about this exam, especially comparing the unseen with Blake. And I am also scared about the plays - I am doing Hamlet and the Revenger's Tragedy and I am scared I'm going to mess up and not remember critical comments or quotations!

Hii!

Would it be possible for you to send me your essay which got 39/40- I'm really struggling too! :frown: xx
Original post by kingzebra
Hii!

Would it be possible for you to send me your essay which got 39/40- I'm really struggling too! :frown: xx

Unfortunately it is handwritten, and there is no way of attaching files on here :frown:
What in particular are you struggling with? Let me know and I'll try and help :smile:
Oww that's poopies :frown:

Thank you anyway muffin!

Just balancing the Blake poetry with the unseen and how to kind of bring context in, I'm just stuck hahaa :frown: xx
Oww that's poopies :frown:

Thank you anyway muffin!

Just balancing the Blake poetry with the unseen and how to kind of bring context in, I'm just stuck hahaa :frown: xx

With the unseen, you only need to make brief reference to it- ensure your focus is always on Blake. A brief point or link about the unseen per paragraph should be enough. With regards to context, you can normally make a link to the restrictions of Georgian England, Blake's radical yet Christian beliefs etc. If you make a context mind map for every poem you are learning for the exam that is really useful.

Do you by any chance study London or The Tyger? They are both poems that I still remember so I can try to show you an example of integrating context with one of those if that would be helpful?
(edited 9 years ago)
With the unseen, you only need to make brief reference to it- ensure your focus is always on Blake. A brief point or link about the unseen per paragraph should be enough. With regards to context, you can normally make a link to the restrictions of Georgian England, Blake's radical yet Christian beliefs etc. If you make a context mind map for every poem you are learning for the exam that is really useful.

Do you by any chance study London or The Tyger? They are both poems that I still remember so I can try to show you an example of integrating context with one of those if that would be helpful?

I'm also doing Blake! I was wondering if you could guide me...how do i even go about linking the unseen to his poems? For example, say if the question is about nature..i talk about blakes poems concerning nature etcetc....do i then go on to mention nature in the unseen and how its different/the same? ah im confused, thank you!
Anyone doing King Lear? Or John Donne?

That makes so much more sense! I thought you had to do loads on the sunseen and was worried, can you pick any poem from the unseen or does it have to be specific to your question?

Yeah I am familiar with both London and Tyger, that would be really helpful please if you don't mind :smile:

I don't suppose you have any tips on Tempest and Faustus?

Thank you again! :smile: xx
Original post by aliyah08
I'm also doing Blake! I was wondering if you could guide me...how do i even go about linking the unseen to his poems? For example, say if the question is about nature..i talk about blakes poems concerning nature etcetc....do i then go on to mention nature in the unseen and how its different/the same? ah im confused, thank you!

That makes so much more sense! I thought you had to do loads on the sunseen and was worried, can you pick any poem from the unseen or does it have to be specific to your question?

Yeah I am familiar with both London and Tyger, that would be really helpful please if you don't mind :smile:

I don't suppose you have any tips on Tempest and Faustus?

Thank you again! :smile: xx

I tended to just link them together quite loosely, and then expand on the theme highlighted by analysing Blake’s work alone to ensure focus was kept on his poetry (it can be quite easy to get carried away otherwise I think). So, for example, you could say something like:

Both poets attempt to convey the perils of distance through nature (you could mention one short example from your unseen poem e.g ‘name of poet demonstrates this with the line...). However, Blake’s reasons for this can be attributed to wanting to distance himself from what he perceived as the evils of Georgian England. His poem London begins ‘I wander through each charter’d street/ Near where the charter’d Thames does flow’. The speaker of the poem, the ‘I’, can be interpreted as Blake himself, despairing of the rest of London’s inhabitants, particularly those who believe they can own nature (this being illustrated through the description of the Thames as ‘charter’d’, which Blake presents as an alien idea through the contrasting description of the flowing river). In the original version of the poem, Blake had written ‘dirty’ in the place of ‘charter’d’, demonstrating the extent of his disgust towards this idea of ownership, the repetition of the word in the final version however, perhaps reflects despair over how prevalent Charters had become. Whilst Blake’s description can be interpreted as reflecting the ideas demonstrated in the work of Burke and Paine (Paine described charters as ‘a perversion’) it also arguably illustrates a loss of freedom as a result of the disruption and ownership of nature.

I’m sorry that’s quite tenuous- it wasn't the best quote for nature but I was sort of going on what I could remember. I hope it gives you an idea of how to structure your essay though :smile:
I think you can pick any poem for your unseen, but I am far from certain, so the best bet is to check with your teacher.

With regards to the Tempest, try and get a stage direction and a prop integrated with your analysis- it's really important to talk about it as a play.

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I tended to just link them together quite loosely, and then expand on the theme highlighted by analysing Blake’s work alone to ensure focus was kept on his poetry (it can be quite easy to get carried away otherwise I think). So, for example, you could say something like:

Both poets attempt to convey the perils of distance through nature (you could mention one short example from your unseen poem e.g ‘name of poet demonstrates this with the line...). However, Blake’s reasons for this can be attributed to wanting to distance himself from what he perceived as the evils of Georgian England. His poem London begins ‘I wander through each charter’d street/ Near where the charter’d Thames does flow’. The speaker of the poem, the ‘I’, can be interpreted as Blake himself, despairing of the rest of London’s inhabitants, particularly those who believe they can own nature (this being illustrated through the description of the Thames as ‘charter’d’, which Blake presents as an alien idea through the contrasting description of the flowing river). In the original version of the poem, Blake had written ‘dirty’ in the place of ‘charter’d’, demonstrating the extent of his disgust towards this idea of ownership, the repetition of the word in the final version however, perhaps reflects despair over how prevalent Charters had become. Whilst Blake’s description can be interpreted as reflecting the ideas demonstrated in the work of Burke and Paine (Paine described charters as ‘a perversion’) it also arguably illustrates a loss of freedom as a result of the disruption and ownership of nature.

I’m sorry that’s quite tenuous- it wasn't the best quote for nature but I was sort of going on what I could remember. I hope it gives you an idea of how to structure your essay though :smile:
I think you can pick any poem for your unseen, but I am far from certain, so the best bet is to check with your teacher.

With regards to the Tempest, try and get a stage direction and a prop integrated with your analysis- it's really important to talk about it as a play.

Hope that helps :smile:

Thank you so much, it was a huge help! I thought you had to talk about the structure, language in the unseen also, so this kind of eased my mind. That's a really good paragraph, did you get an A*?
Original post by aliyah08
Thank you so much, it was a huge help! I thought you had to talk about the structure, language in the unseen also, so this kind of eased my mind. That's a really good paragraph, did you get an A*?

You don't have to mention it, but you still could in passing. I would suggest putting the link in towards the start of your paragraph, that way it prevents you from talking about it more than is necessary.

No, I missed out on that unfortunately. Are you aiming for an A*? Good luck regardless :smile:
You don't have to mention it, but you still could in passing. I would suggest putting the link in towards the start of your paragraph, that way it prevents you from talking about it more than is necessary.

No, I missed out on that unfortunately. Are you aiming for an A*? Good luck regardless :smile:

No, but I am aiming for an A. History, which is on Monday, is just taking up all my time. I haven't properly even looked at the plays, Measure for Measure and Duchess of Malfi! But thank you =) you've been a great help!

Quick Reply

Latest