The Student Room Group

As biology unit 1 21/5/2014 panic thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trialbyc0mbat
dont you mean U replaces T? :confused:

yes U replaces T,, i dont know about replacing G :biggrin:
guys how's it all going ? are u done studying and solving? how ready do u think u r for the exams ? what r ur doubts? im so nervous :frown:
Original post by fictioned
Go through past papers.
There is a pattern in the questions actually

Posted from TSR Mobile

dude will u say what pattern u r talking about ?
Original post by Husain J.
Uracil replaces Thymine mate, not Guanine

Oh crap! my bad ,sorry!
Reply 124
I'm not sure if its the same as DNA helicase but polymerase is in electrophoresis (A2, dont' worry :wink:)
So to avoid confusion, I'd just say helicase :smile:

Hope this helps
Reply 125
Remember key terms definitions; how to draw molecules of amino acid, triglyceride and glucose; also bonds!

These are easy marks :biggrin: I wish everyone very best of luck
Reply 126
Original post by Katiekatie1
Hey guys, what is DNA polymerase used for? Is it the same as DNA helicase?

I think it's used to form the bonds between mononucleotides - as in vertically, when DNA replication is occuring - same as mRNA polymerase
Reply 127
Guys can someone explain CFTR and how a mutation causes thick mucus.
Reply 128
What is the difference between a point mutation and a chromosomal mutation anyone?
Reply 129
Original post by mr osaka
dude will u say what pattern u r talking about ?

There is a pattern in the core practical questions - well as in no two the same have come up two years in a row - i reckon either enzymes or beetroot should come up this time, and definitely not vit c :smile:
Original post by Catb97
What is the difference between a point mutation and a chromosomal mutation anyone?

Point mutation is caused by miscopying of just one or a small number of nucleotides.
Chromosomal mutations :involves changes in the number or position of genes with the chromosomes
You just said what I was gonna say.

I am sorry, I couldn't tell you earlier, my mom took my phone away so that I study

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 132
Original post by Catb97
There is a pattern in the core practical questions - well as in no two the same have come up two years in a row - i reckon either enzymes or beetroot should come up this time, and definitely not vit c :smile:

I think beetroot one is likely to come up.
I am doing Daphnia and the beetroot one.

Both are idk, seems worthy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 134
please please please can someone give me a brief explanation of transcription and translation? :smile:
Hi guys, quick question, main differences between fibrinogen and fibrin? I am aware that fibrinogen is an insoluble substance whilst fibrin is soluble but I believe there are a few other differences?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Fibrin is a fibrous protein while fibrinogen is a globular protein

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myrmeco12
Hi guys, quick question, main differences between fibrinogen and fibrin? I am aware that fibrinogen is an insoluble substance whilst fibrin is soluble but I believe there are a few other differences?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

fibrinogen - soluble, tertiary, compact
fibrin - insolube, secondary structure

nd so d same points as in for d comparison of globular proteins n fibrous proteins
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 138
Original post by gabriella2193
please please please can someone give me a brief explanation of transcription and translation? :smile:

Transcription (in nucleus):

Double helix unwinds and hydrogen bonds break between bases

One strand is used as a template to make mRNA.

Free RNA line up along this template strand called the antisense by complementary base pairing.

RNA polymerase binds the RNA bases together

3 adjacent mRNA bases forms a codon

Translation (in cytoplasm)

mRNA moves out of nuclear pores and onto ribosomes

a tRNA moves into the mRNA. A tRNA consists of three bases called an anticodon and it has an amino acid too

The anticodon binds with codon by complementary base pairing

When there are two tRNA lining up, the two amino acids join together by peptide bonds

Thats all :smile:
Original post by aliali8
Guys can someone explain CFTR and how a mutation causes thick mucus.

I'm also feeling uneasy about this question,im going to attempt to answer it ,and someone please correct me if im wrong,here it goes
A mutation of the gene or the genes that code for CFTR protein structure hindering its function.
Chloride ions build up in their cells instead of moving out through the CFTR channels and as a result water does not move out to their dilute the mucus on the surface of the membrane.Thus water moves back into cells by osmosis making mucus stickier and thicker

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending