The Student Room Group

As biology unit 1 21/5/2014 panic thread

Scroll to see replies

i dnt get d whole STR concept.. thy r just repeats?
Original post by Catb97
There is a pattern in the core practical questions - well as in no two the same have come up two years in a row - i reckon either enzymes or beetroot should come up this time, and definitely not vit c :smile:

Yeah I'd figured that out as well :smile: let's hope they don't change it around!
Reply 142
Original post by N.Choi
Transcription (in nucleus):

Double helix unwinds and hydrogen bonds break between bases

One strand is used as a template to make mRNA.

Free RNA line up along this template strand called the antisense by complementary base pairing.

RNA polymerase binds the RNA bases together

3 adjacent mRNA bases forms a codon

Translation (in cytoplasm)

mRNA moves out of nuclear pores and onto ribosomes

a tRNA moves into the mRNA. A tRNA consists of three bases called an anticodon and it has an amino acid too

The anticodon binds with codon by complementary base pairing

When there are two tRNA lining up, the two amino acids join together by peptide bonds

Thats all :smile:

Thank you so so much!!!
Original post by crazzysashgirl
i dnt get d whole STR concept.. thy r just repeats?

what exactly do you mean by STR?maybe we can sort something out
Reply 144
when does thymine turn into uruanine?? Transcription/translation???
Original post by gabriella2193

thymine dsnt turn into nyth,, and tz uracil..
mRNA only contain Adeninde, guannine, cytosin n uracil.. which z compatible to Thymine,..

and it is in transcription mRNA is formed.. therfore the answer for ur question wil be transcription,,

in translation, polypeptide is formed.. from d codon on mRNA by tRNA.
guys , can someone pleeeeaaassee explain to me the idea of mass flow ? i dont understand what it is and when to use it :colondollar:
Original post by gabriella2193

during transcription DNA unwinds and strands separate ,and nucleotides line up against complementary bases and RNA polymerase joins nucleotides by condensation reaction (forming phosphodiester bond ).mRNA strands separate from DNA molecule and migrate to ribosomes for translation.So to answer your question thymine=uracil replacement is at transcription
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Alnassenigzig
during transcription DNA unwinds and strands separate ,and nucleotides line up against complementary bases and RNA polymerase joins nucleotides by condensation reaction (forming phosphodiester bond ).mRNA strands separate from DNA molecule and migrate to ribosomes for translation.So to answer your question thymine=uranine replacement is at transcription

u mean URACIL not URANINE
during transcription DNA unwinds and strands separate ,and nucleotides line up against complementary bases and RNA polymerase joins nucleotides by condensation reaction (forming phosphodiester bond ).mRNA strands separate from DNA molecule and migrate to ribosomes for translation.So to answer your question thymine=uranine replacement is at transcription

uranine???? :confused:
Original post by Paras Agarwal
u mean URACIL not URANINE

pfft what are you talking about pfft...you high man?
I edited the post ,thanks for the heads up

uranine is a fluroscent dye which is used for tracing water and we don't learn abt it nd wt u r meaning here is URACIL ; the nitrogenous base!!!
Guys, do we need to learn the structures of adenine, guanine, etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmao go home and revise properly

uranine???? :confused:

exactly my reaction :P confused people on this thread
uranine is a fluorescent dye which is used for tracing water and we didn't learn about it and what you are meaning here is URACIL ; the nitrogenous base!!!

I am aware of the mix up ,I was being sarcastic...I edited my original post to Uracil...geez calm down guys how do you expect to learn with such aggression
lmao go home and revise properly

exactly my reaction :P confused people on this thread

I sense a high level of intellectuality here....you should learn to recognize sarcasm Mr.Know-it-all
What type of questions are people expecting for last question (10 marks) on the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I sense a high level of intellectuality here....you should learn to recognize sarcasm Mr.Know-it-all

lol you and i both know it wasn't sarcasm :smile: thanks for the complement! :smile:
lol you and i both know it wasn't sarcasm :smile: thanks for the complement! :smile:

I put two 'pffft's in that response anyone with half a brain would notice im being sarcastic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending