The Student Room Group

Lifting noob gets strong

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pzoDe
Haha fair enough, I've done myself good in my opinion. I'm not primarily looking for size though which makes a difference. It's a secondary goal, primarily I'm improving my strength and fitness. I actually quoted him because he said he saw more improvements with >30 reps contrary to your post.

Do you play any sports, especially those with more running and contact, like rugby? I also found judo was great for my lower body and as a full body fitness session.

I do sprint intervals every day that I go to the gym and that's vastly improved my leg strength. Try running/cycling several times a week. Plyometric leg exercises are good too.

Also partly by following some of the videos on mobilityWOD (look it up) I've seriously improved my range of motion with squats, allowing myself to go really deep with more weight. Might be worth checking it out.

Not really man. I play football with my mates and go skiing every so often.

I can actually get really deep on squats, so always do ATG to get maximum flute activation haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silent ninja
I used to deadlift and can't say they did anything for my traps. The best trap recruitment I get (may vary, this is just ME) is from: farmers walks, kettlebell swings, any type of powerclean movement (which is why KB swings work). I'm on the fence with shrugs but not done them enough.

My traps look minimal square on, but pretty awesome from the side. Attachments and all that vary.

Btw only when I started farmers did my squat bar position improve (through growth of traps).

Good progress. Keep it up

Sent from my HTC One

Cheers man :smile:

I think I'm gonna add in farmers walks to my routine, seem quite fun and would probably improve my grip strength

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by silent ninja
I used to deadlift and can't say they did anything for my traps. The best trap recruitment I get (may vary, this is just ME) is from: farmers walks, kettlebell swings, any type of powerclean movement (which is why KB swings work). I'm on the fence with shrugs but not done them enough.

My traps look minimal square on, but pretty awesome from the side. Attachments and all that vary.

Btw only when I started farmers did my squat bar position improve (through growth of traps).

Good progress. Keep it up

Sent from my HTC One

Farmers walk are from the gods imo... cardio, grip strength and traps all in one.. . as well as a bit of leg involvment and core bracing etc.. everyone should do them tbh...

Agreed, keep the progress up R4J :biggrin:
Original post by Angry cucumber
Farmers walk are from the gods imo... cardio, grip strength and traps all in one.. . as well as a bit of leg involvment and core bracing etc.. everyone should do them tbh...

Agreed, keep the progress up R4J :biggrin:

Absolutely. I was telling a guy at the gym, why you bothering with a 20 min treadmill run when you can do 3 sets of farmers with me? Lol it's true though.

You do need to go HEAVY to get the full feels. The weight needs to be "omg I can just about lift this and now you want me to walk?" heavy.

Sent from my HTC One
What constitutes as 1 set of farmers walks? I don't know the length of my gym so could I just walk the length and back once and count that as a set? And try improve time/increase weight every week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly
Original post by Reps4Jesus
What constitutes as 1 set of farmers walks? I don't know the length of my gym so could I just walk the length and back once and count that as a set? And try improve time/increase weight every week?

Exactly
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 106
Not really man. I play football with my mates and go skiing every so often.

I can actually get really deep on squats, so always do ATG to get maximum flute activation haha

Pick up something like judo - it'll be worth it. What's your fitness like?
Original post by pzoDe
Pick up something like judo - it'll be worth it. What's your fitness like?

Not sure tbh, I go swimming around once a week but rarely do any cardio apart from that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
20/5/14

DB Decline Bench - 25kg (4x7) PB
DB Incline bench - 22.5kg (2x10) Rep PB
Rows - 55kg (5,4) then 20kg DBS (2x8)
Shrugs - 72.5kg (3x8) PB
Pushdowns
Hammer curls - 10kg (9,9,7) PB I think lol
DB Lunges 20kg x lots

Posted from TSR Mobile
What weight do your DBs in your gym go up to?
What weight do your DBs in your gym go up to?

50kg

Posted from TSR Mobile
The decline is only like a 5 degree decline for anyone wondering

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't bother with doing barbell squats then as you have no rack, do Bulgarian split squats, lunges (as I see you're doing) and possibly some split squats. You can progress quite well doing 5 x 5 => 5x 7/8 => 5 x 5 :smile:

For rows.. do you do DB rows on the bench? They're awesome as well once you work out what to do (took me a long time how to get it right, several youtube vids were needed)

Also.. for bench do you have to clean them up to bench or is there a bench rack? I can't remember from what you've said
I wouldn't bother with doing barbell squats then as you have no rack, do Bulgarian split squats, lunges (as I see you're doing) and possibly some split squats. You can progress quite well doing 5 x 5 => 5x 7/8 => 5 x 5 :smile:

For rows.. do you do DB rows on the bench? They're awesome as well once you work out what to do (took me a long time how to get it right, several youtube vids were needed)

Also.. for bench do you have to clean them up to bench or is there a bench rack? I can't remember from what you've said

Bulgarian split squats felt awkward when I tried them so just did lunges today, I'll try them again sometime though cos I've heard good things about them.

Yeh do them on the bench, don't really feel them in my back tbh, same as barbell rows. Get a sick pump in the lats from pulldowns/pull-ups though.

When i did the 70kg barbell bench for one rep I got my friend to pick up the barbell and hand it to me but it was so awkward so I'm sticking with dumbbells until uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bulgarian split squats felt awkward when I tried them so just did lunges today, I'll try them again sometime though cos I've heard good things about them.

Yeah they're as awkward as hell... I was having this discussion on my blog last week lol :tongue:

Yeh do them on the bench, don't really feel them in my back tbh, same as barbell rows. Get a sick pump in the lats from pulldowns/pull-ups though.

Yeah, I've found I need to having my back fully locked out in the same way as I set up for a deadlift, and then pull the DB to my hip area... seems to work lol

When i did the 70kg barbell bench for one rep I got my friend to pick up the barbell and hand it to me but it was so awkward so I'm sticking with dumbbells until uni :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I get you, so today you were benching the 25kg DBs?
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah they're as awkward as hell... I was having this discussion on my blog last week lol :tongue:

[qquote]

Yeah, I've found I need to having my back fully locked out in the same way as I set up for a deadlift, and then pull the DB to my hip area... seems to work lol

I get you, so today you were benching the 25kg DBs?

Yeh :smile:
That's the weight you started with isn't it hahahaha
I'm getting PBs every week with it and seeing chest mass gains so I'll stick with them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh :smile:
That's the weight you started with isn't it hahahaha
I'm getting PBs every week with it and seeing chest mass gains so I'll stick with them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, by the way you've written your blog I thought you were benching the 12.5kgs, whilst you're actually benching the 25s in each hand! :biggrin:

Haha I leave my ego at the door when lifting and lifting chat etc, there's always someone bigger and stronger than you :tongue:

PBs are what it's all about good job :biggrin:
Cool, by the way you've written your blog I thought you were benching the 12.5kgs, whilst you're actually benching the 25s in each hand! :biggrin:

Haha I leave my ego at the door when lifting and lifting chat etc, there's always someone bigger and stronger than you :tongue:

PBs are what it's all about good job :biggrin:

I may be weak but I'm not that weak hahaha :smile:
Tbh for people of similar age in my gym I'm one of the strongest, can you imagine? Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
I may be weak but I'm not that weak hahaha :smile:
Tbh for people of similar age in my gym I'm one of the strongest, can you imagine? Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not surprised lol. I'm one of the strongest guys in my gym and I'm still weak in comparison to anyone who lifts lol. I started becoming one of the strongest when I could bench 35kgs and squat 100kg :tongue:

By the time you're my age... you'll be jacked man, everyone will be mirin :wink:
I'm not surprised lol. I'm one of the strongest guys in my gym and I'm still weak in comparison to anyone who lifts lol. I started becoming one of the strongest when I could bench 35kgs and squat 100kg :tongue:

By the time you're my age... you'll be jacked man, everyone will be mirin :wink:

You are pretty damn strong though - at least in my eyes haha.
Haha hopefully, glad I started nice and early :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest