The Student Room Group

Tricky rent/housing benefit situation - Need help please!!

Hi Guys,

I am currently in a privately rented student accommodation. I am a student; but my partner, who is living with me, is no longer a student and therefore claiming housing benefit.

Anyway, we are on a 12-month fixed tenancy agreement. We have been renting three years now. The tenancy technically ends in August, but we are moving out in June. We are going to move all our stuff out of the flat, we are going to check out with the water bill company, and the council and we are going to hand over the keys to the landlord - basically we will never be returning to this property (or even this county!) ever again.

But obviously, since our tenancy agreement TECHNICALLY expires in August, our landlord still wants us to pay him rent until then (even though, June onwards we won't even be living here anymore).

Now my question is... Since we are not technically going to be living in the flat, but we are still technically tenants (since we are forced to pay the rent for the unoccupied months, and our tenancy agreement is still valid); does this mean that my boyfriend will still be able to claim housing benefit until August? Like I said, we are moving out in June; we will be living in another county, with my parents for starters, so obviously we won't be claiming any benefits like that for ourselves there. But we will still have to pay for a flat we do not live in anymore (600 pounds a month btw... what a joke). Housing benefit is meant to help you with rent, but what if you don't live in the property anymore, but you are still a tenant on paper?? So confusing! I'm really puzzled by this... Please help!!!
Original post by kay0981
Hi Guys,

I am currently in a privately rented student accommodation. I am a student; but my partner, who is living with me, is no longer a student and therefore claiming housing benefit.

Anyway, we are on a 12-month fixed tenancy agreement. We have been renting three years now. The tenancy technically ends in August, but we are moving out in June. We are going to move all our stuff out of the flat, we are going to check out with the water bill company, and the council and we are going to hand over the keys to the landlord - basically we will never be returning to this property (or even this county!) ever again.

But obviously, since our tenancy agreement TECHNICALLY expires in August, our landlord still wants us to pay him rent until then (even though, June onwards we won't even be living here anymore).

Now my question is... Since we are not technically going to be living in the flat, but we are still technically tenants (since we are forced to pay the rent for the unoccupied months, and our tenancy agreement is still valid); does this mean that my boyfriend will still be able to claim housing benefit until August? Like I said, we are moving out in June; we will be living in another county, with my parents for starters, so obviously we won't be claiming any benefits like that for ourselves there. But we will still have to pay for a flat we do not live in anymore (600 pounds a month btw... what a joke). Housing benefit is meant to help you with rent, but what if you don't live in the property anymore, but you are still a tenant on paper?? So confusing! I'm really puzzled by this... Please help!!!

You signed the contract, so you have to pay the rent. In terms of HB, this might help:
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_help_if_on_a_low_income_ew/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm#h_how_long_is_housing_benefit_paid_for
Reply 2
Original post by kay0981
Hi Guys,

Hi, I work for a local council in the housing benefit department so I may be able to help! PM me and I'll see if I can help with some more specific advise! Its also worth contacting shelter, the housing charity, as they are always happy to help clear up these situations and advise you on what to do! It may be they can help find a way for you to be released early from your tenancy instead of looking for a way to get your HB paid :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can end the tenancy if you can come to a compromise with the landlord and find replacement tenants to take over the property.

But no, your boyfriend can't claim housing benefit for a property you're not living in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending