The Student Room Group

Does anyone on here hate reading?

I don't know why but I've grown up hating reading books I've never read one in my life apart from school/college textbooks and even now I've stopped reading the paper as I find it a bit tedious I read news on my phone because they're short articles which gives me insight into whats going on in the world. I'm a lover for football but wouldn't even read the back pages. Don't get me wrong I used to love reading the paper. My dad even works for the paper so seems a bit silly that I don't read them at all now. Anyone else feel like this about reading?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can imagine the pain I am inflicting on you by replying and therefore making you read some more.
Oops
You're missing out on one of the most enjoyable aspects of life, imo. Nothing better than being immersed in a good book.
Reply 3
I'm the same. I don't even read newspapers.
No, but if you hate it so much why did you sign up to TSR?
Nah. Love reading fantasy books. Transports you to another world :biggrin:
Reply 6
I hate reading but instead of reading I listen to the radio and audio books.
Original post by Lawrenc spa
I don't know why but I've grown up hating reading books I've never read one in my life apart from school/college textbooks and even now I've stopped reading the paper as I find it a bit tedious I read news on my phone because they're short articles which gives me insight into whats going on in the world. I'm a lover for football but wouldn't even read the back pages. Don't get me wrong I used to love reading the paper. My dad even works for the paper so seems a bit silly that I don't read them at all now. Anyone else feel like this about reading?

Well it's either your personal preference on books like i have read about 3 books outside school in my whole life LOL (17years) whereas my sister who is 10 has read well over 20 books like thick books lmao. Or it just can be technology advancement like you said everything is easier visually to read on the internet so books and newspapers just become extremely dull to even look at after a while
Original post by TheSweatyNerd
No, but if you hate it so much why did you sign up to TSR?

I don't hate reading anything. I like to express myself on these forums and hear other peoples opinions. It's hard to explain really it's just newspapers and books I don't like. I wasn't ever pressured into reading fiction books so never really wanted to. As for papers I don't think I'll be missing anything by not reading them and I prefer using technology to get the latest news such as sky news and sky sports apps. I wouldn't even read the paper on their website. Last time I read a paper was to seek a job in the local paper and read an article about someone I know.
I don't hate reading anything. I like to express myself on these forums and hear other peoples opinions. It's hard to explain really it's just newspapers and books I don't like. I wasn't ever pressured into reading fiction books so never really wanted to. As for papers I don't think I'll be missing anything by not reading them and I prefer using technology to get the latest news such as sky news and sky sports apps. I wouldn't even read the paper on their website. Last time I read a paper was to seek a job in the local paper and read an article about someone I know.

What about revising?
Maybe I am closed minded but I just don't get how someone can not enjoy reading - unless they find it difficult to read of course.

On a side note if you have never read a book then how do you know that you don't like it?
I think passion for reading stems from childhood really, if you didn't enjoy reading as a child I'd doubt you'd enjoy it now.
Original post by TheSweatyNerd
What about revising?

Like I said in my first post that's easy. If I enjoy the subject and don't find it too difficult then I'm more than happy to read it. I suppose that's more because I have to rather than choosing to. I recently read a whole textbook and understood all of it and my course doesn't even start till September

Original post by Georgie_M
Maybe I am closed minded but I just don't get how someone can not enjoy reading - unless they find it difficult to read of course.

On a side note if you have never read a book then how do you know that you don't like it?

I don't know good question. I've tried reading books before every so often I may try and read a book. I get through a couple of pages before losing interest I put the book down promising I'll read some more but the next day I'm just like nah. Some books are too out of my depth aswell not that I don't understand the language or have difficulty reading just some can have me completely lost about whats going on as do some films but very rarely
Like I said in my first post that's easy. If I enjoy the subject and don't find it too difficult then I'm more than happy to read it. I suppose that's more because I have to rather than choosing to. I recently read a whole textbook and understood all of it and my course doesn't even start till September

I don't know good question. I've tried reading books before every so often I may try and read a book. I get through a couple of pages before losing interest I put the book down promising I'll read some more but the next day I'm just like nah. Some books are too out of my depth aswell not that I don't understand the language or have difficulty reading just some can have me completely lost about whats going on as do some films but very rarely

Yeah I know it is just one of those things which is just personal but i've always felt like people who don't read are missing out :frown:
Reply 14
I really like reading fiction and I used to read it a lot but for the last few years I've had a lot of problems with concentrating while reading, I get really impatient fast and my mind starts to wonder elsewhere. I don't know why I can't concentrate, I wish I could. When I manage to start reading a book I find it almost impossible to finish it, I can only read like two pages at a time before I can't concentrate anymore and I often just forget that I was trying to read a book :c I also find it hard to read any other longer texts for the same reason
(edited 9 years ago)
I adore reading. I think you should definitely try.
I love it when you really get into the book and you care for the characters. Like one time, I literally sobbed at the ending of a book as it completely killed me. It was delirium, but I've never felt so strongly about a book before. But for me it weirdly makes me happy, as the ending comes and I feel like I've learnt something important in my life, like a wonderful life lesson. So even though I could have spent a long time reading a book, I'll never regret it. You can find a lot of hope in books :h:
I am completely the same. At school, rather than read, I would play chess as we were forced to choose between the two :P
Personally I like to read in the way of what I read being edifying, but I struggle to really enjoy a book.
For instance, I read loads of information on the internet, articles, etc. but I often feel that books are almost a waste of time... though I do force myself to read the occasional one, for the sake of open mindedness... can't really ignore all that great work out there... but I prefer a good film a million times over, usually.

EDIT> interestingly, my girlfriend (who loves the crap out of books) bought me The Walking Dead graphic novels (compendium 1), and I have really really enjoyed it. Would recommend giving something like that a go.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Georgie_M
Yeah I know it is just one of those things which is just personal but i've always felt like people who don't read are missing out :frown:

Don't worry yourself sweetie. I'm sure I'm not missing out too much am I? Reading books just seems a bit old fashion to me no offence. I know I shouldn't view it that way but it practically seems that way to me
:eek:
Nope, I love reading :h:

Original post by xMr_BrightSide
You're missing out on one of the most enjoyable aspects of life, imo. Nothing better than being immersed in a good book.

:five:
Original post by lilangel217
:eek:
Nope, I love reading :h:

:five:

pffft. films ftw! :P

Quick Reply

Latest