The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LCRMG
You're coming across as very patronising. Thanks anyway for your highlighting of the fact that I was stupid to follow my teachers instructions of "only learn the Nazi essays, they will definitely come up" but I'm pretty sure I realised that I was wrong when I turned the page to find no Nazi questions and not when I came on this and read your 'helpful' advice. :smile:

I never intended to be patronising nor imply that anyone was stupid - which I'm sure you're not. I just highlighted to prospective Higher students for next year that predicting essays and relying on past patterns in papers was not the way to approach the exam, and that this problem was not the responsibility of the SQA - at all. There are six essays that could come up for Germany, so teachers should have taught at least four. Indeed, if anything, my discussion has been directed towards poor attitudes from teachers rather than pupils. Once again, I express deep regret if the exam did not go the way you planned, and likewise for other candidates.

Best of luck in all of your other Highers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AspiringMedic8
I never intended to be patronising nor imply that anyone was stupid - which I'm sure you're not. I just highlighted to prospective Higher students for next year that predicting essays and relying on past patterns in papers was not the way to approach the exam, and that this problem was not the responsibility of the SQA - at all. There are six essays that could come up for Germany, so teachers should have taught at least four. Indeed, if anything, my discussion has been directed towards poor attitudes from teachers rather than pupils. Once again, I express deep regret if the exam did not go the way you planned, and likewise for other candidates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't mean to be rude, but did you even take Higher History?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't find it patronising as it's certainly an interesting argument. I think that there could be an argument for teacher's opinions on the topics coming up could be clouded due to the work being put in looking at the new CfE, for example, however I would add that considering near the end of the year is brinking towards the point where some pupils will be considering their prospects for Advanced Higher subjects, that perhaps in some cases when essays have been missed in class that the pupils should do the research themselves if they want to succeed, certainly researching and revising essays was one of my most enjoyable moments in Higher History this year - although I want to do it at Uni so I could be mad...
Original post by EllaGwenn
I don't mean to be rude, but did you even take Higher History?

What gave you the impression that I didn't take Higher History?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What gave you the impression that I didn't take Higher History?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your username to be honest, sorry.
Yes, I did.
So for Question One I expanded on four source points and then discussed Scots involvement in the Battle of Loos, the Battle of Arras and the fact that propionately Scots had the highest percentage of deaths on the Western Front.
For Question Three I again expanded on four source points and then wrote about shipbuilding on the Clyde, the Dundee jute industry and diversification of businesses (Beardmore ect).
I wish I included slightly more recall just in case (ran out of time), but hopefully I have scored at least 8.
What about you?

this is very reassuring! for q1 I mentioned what you have written plus the 5 victoria crosses given to scots incl piper laidlaw and the fact that scots took part in the third battle of ypres and cambrai. I also mentioned douglas haigs involvement at the somme.

for q3 I mentioned the same as you. I also mentioned fishing and agriculture.

how did you find paper 1?
Your username to be honest, sorry.

Why apologise? I'm not offended, you just made quite a silly assumption. In fact, social subjects are extremely common choices for aspiring clinicians. We need to have more facets to ourselves than just science.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally looked over all my essays and then saw that women had not come up for 2 years so I super focused on that whilst still having sufficient knowledge for other topics. Luckily I hit perfectly and the same question. That I practised came up word for word but tbh you should have had a sound knowledge of everything you studied.
Why apologise? I'm not offended, you just made quite a silly assumption. In fact, social subjects are extremely common choices for aspiring clinicians. We need to have more facets to ourselves than just science.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, I understand - just my ignorance then (:
Original post by jen123456
this is very reassuring! for q1 I mentioned what you have written plus the 5 victoria crosses given to scots incl piper laidlaw and the fact that scots took part in the third battle of ypres and cambrai. I also mentioned douglas haigs involvement at the somme.

for q3 I mentioned the same as you. I also mentioned fishing and agriculture.

how did you find paper 1?

Paper 1 was an absolute godsend for me! I did women's suffrage (British topic) and the growth nationalism (German topic). What about you?
Paper 1 was an absolute godsend for me! I did women's suffrage (British topic) and the growth nationalism (German topic). What about you?

thats exactly the same as me :smile: hoped for nazis rise to power but i had also revised issue 1 so was fine! the women essay was great.
Original post by jen123456
thats exactly the same as me :smile: hoped for nazis rise to power but i had also revised issue 1 so was fine! the women essay was great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I was so relieved!
Original post by EatAndRevise
When we had to make a correction in the paper I took a sneak peak at the Britain section and my heart leaped with joy! I could not believe it! I was ecstatic!!!!!!

I screamed in the exam hall a little and everyone heard! 😂
Original post by claudiascott
I screamed in the exam hall a little and everyone heard! ������

Haha I am sure I heard a few happy people make noises!
Original post by EatAndRevise
Haha I am sure I heard a few happy people make noises!

I remained quiet, although I did fistpump the air in delight.
Original post by CameronPaterson
I remained quiet, although I did fistpump the air in delight.

It was, indeed, a delightful moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not late at all... But sqa definitely loved us in the history exam didn't they!! I couldn't have asked for better questions!👍 anyone sit higher German today?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeschichteJunge
Not late at all... But sqa definitely loved us in the history exam didn't they!! I couldn't have asked for better questions!👍 anyone sit higher German today?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I did.
Yes, I did.

How did u find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeschichteJunge
How did u find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was okay I guess. I found the reading fairly straightforward, I was slightly unprepared for the directed writing but I think it ended up fine. I found the listening pretty bad, but then I always do (I've never gotten higher than 16). The writing could have gone better as I ran out of things to write for the advantages/disadvantages part.
What about you?
Also I think there's a Higher Modern Languages forum somewhere.

Latest

Trending

Trending