The Student Room Group

ccea A2 1 biology may 2014

prose predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rattlingbog
prose predictions?

I have no idea, I was a little sad because I thought the essay in January seemed quite easy, so this one might be harder?

What do you think?
:smile:
Reply 2
not sure, could be on intensive farming
Plant / animal coordination hasn't came up as an essay in years

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
How did people find the exam?
I thought the paper was alright but I know I've made a few mistakes and I could've written more for the essay?
What was the growth substance for the plant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Harkiran :D
I thought the paper was alright but I know I've made a few mistakes and I could've written more for the essay?
What was the growth substance for the plant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The paper was fine (:
I filled all the pages for the essay...
I said auxin cause it was elongation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hormone was gibberellins, eas
Original post by kendellex
The paper was fine (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you get for the bit where you had to comment on the results of the nitrogen effecting lengths of nodes?
Original post by niamh55555
What did you get for the bit where you had to comment on the results of the nitrogen effecting lengths of nodes?

Oh I wasn't sure about that part? I think I put something like as the percentage of nitrogen increased the length of the nodes decreased slightly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Harkiran :D
Oh I wasn't sure about that part? I think I put something like as the percentage of nitrogen increased the length of the nodes decreased slightly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said that nitrogen levels decreased the length of nodes increased due to more nitrifying bacteria converting atmospheric nitrogen into nitrogen containing compounds that the plant used. As nitrogen was removed from the soil, the concentration decreased. Something along those lines

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kendellex
The paper was fine (:

EDIT: I haven't even heard of the other two chemicals. Lol my teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
how did everyone find the paper?
Original post by rattlingbog
how did everyone find the paper?

pretty decent overall, few tricky application questions like the root nodule one and few weird 1 markers
I thought the paper was good, which means I probably did horrendous... Lol
The nodule question, I wrote as nitrogen levels were increased the root nodule size increased since the bacteria converted nitrogen into nitrates which can be used to make amino acids/proteins therefore growth.
I would need to see the question/paragraph again, on how it was worded. I thought they supplied nitrogen at different %s and you had to write what happened to root nodules then.
(Sigh)
(edited 9 years ago)
[QUOTE=
I thought it was very weird. Like the format was nothing like past papers. Almost everything was applying knowledge and then just graphs and tables everywhere with 3 and 4 mark questions!

For the root nodule, as the % of nitrates in soil increased, the mean root nodule length decreased.

I said gibberellins as well as the elongation was between the internode regions?

What did everyone say for the rods questions? I had the same thing for about 3 different parts!
Original post by megan_edwards
I thought it was very weird. Like the format was nothing like past papers. Almost everything was applying knowledge and then just graphs and tables everywhere with 3 and 4 mark questions!

For the root nodule, as the % of nitrates in soil increased, the mean root nodule length decreased.

I said gibberellins as well as the elongation was between the internode regions?

What did everyone say for the rods questions? I had the same thing for about 3 different parts!

I said ATP was for resynthesis of rhodopsin. Then for the graph I talked about how the rhodopsin was entirely bleached in bright light and slowly re-synthesises. For phototransduction I said it is the conversion of light energy to electrical energy to generate impulse which is propagated along optic nerve to visual centre of brain. As for the night sky one I didnt really have a clue but i mentioned retinal convergence and stereoscopic vision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's cause the fovea is in the center of the eye, which contains cones which can't break down during the dull light, so off Centre focused it on the rods.

What did yous say for the % increase question between 5 and 15 minutes? I think i put 42.5 or something, but in the exam I couldn't decide between simply reading the values off, or calculating the percentage increase of the value at 5 minutes.
(I.e if the graph went from 50% to 75%, then that is actually a 50% increase, because 25%, is 50% of 50...)
Original post by Chriispy
I said ATP was for resynthesis of rhodopsin. Then for the graph I talked about how the rhodopsin was entirely bleached in bright light and slowly re-synthesises. For phototransduction I said it is the conversion of light energy to electrical energy to generate impulse which is propagated along optic nerve to visual centre of brain. As for the night sky one I didnt really have a clue but i mentioned retinal convergence and stereoscopic vision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i said the same. Seemed to always be talking about the rhodopsin breaking down into its components though! lol
Yeah I had no idea for the night sky one but a friend told me its because rods are concentrated at the periphery lol.

What did everything think of the essays?

Quick Reply

Latest