The Student Room Group

Aqa gcse english literature: Poetry predictions

So we've all got our English Lit exam tomorrow... I've barely revised to be honest. There's not much I can do other than read through each poem.

Do we have any predictions for A) What Relationship poems will be coming up? and B) What will the unseen poem be?

I've heard that for the Relationships section, we'll have To His Coy Mistress and Ghazal? I've heard nothing regarding the unseen piece.

Any help/ideas/hints would be greatly appreciated - Let's hope we all do well. GOOD LUCK :cool:

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing conflict! I don't know how to achieve a good grade on this exam, any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you know which poems we'll get? :confused: :smile:
check out my thread for an A*....
Reply 4
Can people give me any help on the Character and Voice cluster? Anything at all?
Are people really asking for predictions again after all this mr bruff fiasco... Seriously, there is no way of knowing what poems are going to come up, so just revise them all! I really can't understand people who just revise one or two poems based on what they think might come up... Just because a poem hasn't come up recently, doesn't mean it will be in the paper this year, AQA do repeat themselves sometimes, and aren't you going to feel a bit stupid if you get into the exam and the one poem you spent all your time revising doesn't come up?
Original post by georgie266
Are people really asking for predictions again after all this mr bruff fiasco... Seriously, there is no way of knowing what poems are going to come up, so just revise them all! I really can't understand people who just revise one or two poems based on what they think might come up... Just because a poem hasn't come up recently, doesn't mean it will be in the paper this year, AQA do repeat themselves sometimes, and aren't you going to feel a bit stupid if you get into the exam and the one poem you spent all your time revising doesn't come up?

Agreed Mr Bruff got it right two years in a row but he did make it VERY clear that he wasn't guaranteeing that he was right! Personally I've revised 5 poems in lots of details so if any poem comes up I should hopefully have one I have revised to compare it to.
Hey guys :smile: I took this exam last year (Relationships cluster) and managed to predict the poems (Sonnet 116 and Born Yesterday). Finest psychic moment :P I actually compared Sonnet 116 and Born Yesterday, and judging from the experiences of me and my friends, you may well end up deciding to compare two poems that seem to go weirdly together but actually work out :tongue:

Remember, you're far enough through the life of the spec that it's by no means out of the question that a poem will recur. Sister Maude, In Paris with You and Brothers are supposed to just be for foundation, but again they could change that...What I would say is that it's extremely likely that Ghazal will come up. Less so for To His Coy Mistress, because of its difficulty, but it's still plausible that THCM would come up.

I like Hour as a comparison poem with Ghazal.
It shouldn't be a poem that came up last year as this would go completely go against all the paterns that AQA have set out across all of their exams.

Personally, even though Mr Bruff failed us on Tuesday, I believe he will come up with the goods tomorrow and Ghazal and To His Coy Mistress WILL come up.

If I'm wrong it does not matter because I'm not a gambler and I want a good a grade as possible and cutting it short by looking at predictions simply is not good enough!

I urge you to go through all the poems tonight, and if those 2 come up tomorrow, well, that's a bonus!
The poems that haven't come up yet are In Paris With You, Ghazal, Brothers, To His Coy Mistress and Sister Maude. I'd recommend revising mainly for these five as I doubt AQA will use another poem again, they've never done that before in this paper. It pays to be prepared for all of the poems though.
In Paris With You, Brothers and Sister Maude don't come up in the Higher Tier anyway.
I reckon AQA will do Harmonium and the Manhunt just to mix it up a little.
Reply 12
Original post by WillWalker23
I reckon AQA will do Harmonium and the Manhunt just to mix it up a little.

could you compare manhunt with the farmers bride becasue theyre both broken relationships but due to different things
any other suggestions would be helpful
Reply 13
Thanks all for your responses :smile: Ghazal seems highly likely, then. Does anyone know what time the exam is tomorrow? My school is failing to inform me of anything too well... It's really annoying.
Original post by EddyEagal
Thanks all for your responses :smile: Ghazal seems highly likely, then. Does anyone know what time the exam is tomorrow? My school is failing to inform me of anything too well... It's really annoying.

Afternoon I believe.
Reply 15
Original post by Messorem235
The poems that haven't come up yet are In Paris With You, Ghazal, Brothers, To His Coy Mistress and Sister Maude. I'd recommend revising mainly for these five as I doubt AQA will use another poem again, they've never done that before in this paper. It pays to be prepared for all of the poems though.

Go to the third page of this - http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-ENGLIT-W-TRB-TG-U01.PDF

Basically, like somebody said above the following poems will not be NAMED (you could still use them to compare to the named poem) in the Higherr tier: In Paris With You, Brothers and Sister Maude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
anyonekno w about what will come up for place?
Predictions? No. AQA love to **** on predictions.
Original post by Zayna123
could you compare manhunt with the farmers bride becasue theyre both broken relationships but due to different things
any other suggestions would be helpful

Yes that's a good idea. I've tried Ghazal with The Farmer's Bride and they weirdly compare quite well.

I personally would compare The Manhunt with Quickdraw. Nettles and Harmonium are possible too, despite both of them being from a parental perspective, the protection in Nettles is similar, and the description and the distance in Harmonium is also similar, but then again comparing two pieces by the same poet is a bit unheard of. Quickdraw is also about the disintegration of a damaged relationship, probably the best one for Manhunt.

How I've done my essays:
Ghazal - The Farmer's Bride
Manhunt - Quickdraw
Sonnet 116 - Sonnet 43
Harmonium - Praise Song for My Mother
Born Yesterday - Nettles
Hour - To His Coy Mistress

Quick Reply

Latest