The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Telling you this is Brady's last season. I guarantee it. Quote me if it doesn't happen.
Original post by Ash Ketchum
Telling you this is Brady's last season. I guarantee it. Quote me if it doesn't happen.

Bold statement that but not totally out of the question of course. I feel like he might go the one after too, Garappolo makes lots of sense if he is retiring.

1st ballot Hall of Famer for sure?
Reply 8742
Original post by Scott129
Fellow Ram... nice!

Makes a change from all the Patriot fans around here :unimpressed:

Rams love :biggrin:

I really hope Sam Bradford can stay healthy so that we can make it to playoffs this year.

I can't wait to beat 49ers and Seahawks, I despite them so much, also the draft went really well the defense is going to kill some people haha we might even break the sack record with the addition of Donald.

I wonder if Michael Sam will make the team since the defence is really stacked, best of luck to the kid and also if we do decide to cut him we are going to get a lot of **** from the media haha.
Original post by Yax
Rams love :biggrin:

I really hope Sam Bradford can stay healthy so that we can make it to playoffs this year.

Yeah, make or break season for him, I think. If he performs poorly or gets injured yet again, I wouldn't be surprised if we benched him/traded him away.

I'm still not sold on him being a genuine franchise QB either. So much so, there was a miniscule part of me that wanted Manziel to fall just a little bit further and for the Rams to come and get him. I don't know if you've read Michael Silver's article about his exclusive access to the Rams' war room but there was a huge contingent of the Rams' staff begging Fisher and Snead to trade up but they stood firm. Really good read actually.

Original post by Yax
I can't wait to beat 49ers and Seahawks, I despite them so much, also the draft went really well the defense is going to kill some people haha we might even break the sack record with the addition of Donald.

I quite like the Seahawks tbh but hate the 49ers (such a boring team!). I think we'll pick up a few wins in our division though as we always seem to do well against them.

Original post by Yax
I wonder if Michael Sam will make the team since the defence is really stacked, best of luck to the kid and also if we do decide to cut him we are going to get a lot of **** from the media haha.

I think he will. Remember, this is a guy who's won awards for his college production and the only reason he fell that far was because he's gay (controversial statement, I know, but I truly believe that). His only problem is his size - too big/slow for linebacker, too small for DE. I'm sure our conditioning coaches will make a decision and sort him out though. He's a talented player, even if he only plays special teams.
Original post by Wattsy
Bold statement that but not totally out of the question of course. I feel like he might go the one after too, Garappolo makes lots of sense if he is retiring.

1st ballot Hall of Famer for sure?

I dont think its that bold. What is he 37 ? Patriots know its coming to an end the good times with Brady and well credit to them they dont want to go through a season of being utter **** like the Colts were.

1st ballot hall of famer? You aren't kidding! Brady is a first ballot HOF chop, stamp double confirm no doubt!
^SMFH

I think he will. Remember, this is a guy who's won awards for his college production and the only reason he fell that far was because he's gay (controversial statement, I know, but I truly believe that). His only problem is his size - too big/slow for linebacker, too small for DE. I'm sure our conditioning coaches will make a decision and sort him out though. He's a talented player, even if he only plays special teams.

I'm not so sure about that. I agree that his orientation no doubt had some affect on his overall stock, but I can't imagine it would have been *that* much. Sure he was an All American etc., in what is arguably the toughest conference in college ball, but, as I'm sure you're aware, the NFL is on a whole different level. Now, that one problem you mentioned? It's a pretty big deal - just look at his numbers from the combine- he was one of the least impressive guys out there. The majority of linebackers were, as expected, quicker, but also stronger. The majority of DEs were, as expected stronger, but also quicker, so I don't even know where his strengths would lie in either position. I just can't really see him being taken much higher, gay or not.

All of this combined with the fact that he's fighting for a spot in an already stacked and talented Defense makes me think that the chances of him making the team are very slim, as happy as I'd be for him.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8747
Original post by myaccount
I'm not so sure about that. I agree that his orientation no doubt had some affect on his overall stock, but I can't imagine it would have been *that* much. Sure he was an All American etc., in what is arguably the toughest conference in college ball, but, as I'm sure you're aware, the NFL is on a whole different level. Now, that one problem you mentioned? It's a pretty big deal - just look at his numbers from the combine- he was one of the least impressive guys out there. The majority of linebackers were, as expected, quicker, but also stronger. The majority of DEs were, as expected stronger, but also quicker, so I don't even know where his strengths would lie in either position. I just can't really see him being taken much higher, gay or not.

All of this combined with the fact that he's fighting for a spot in an already stacked and talented Defense makes me think that the chances of him making the team are very slim, as happy as I'd be for him.

Even if he hadn't come out, IMO he would have only been taken a round, maybe two earlier. He just doesn't have the numbers.
The combine only just confirmed what people suspected that he just wasn't that great athletically.
Original post by myaccount

No recipient of the award he won has ever fallen past the top of the fifth round. I also read a Facebook comment (so not verified) but only one past winner has gone below the third round. This guy was a handful of picks away from not getting drafted at all.

And now we're also into one of my issues with college scouting - the emphasis on measurables over production. If the technique and instincts are there, surely size and athleticism can be worked on? Especially if it's just a matter of putting on/losing weight. As for combine performances, lots of players had poor shows but still went on to have great careers. Game tape is way more important in judging players, in my opinion.

And now we're also into one of my issues with college scouting - the emphasis on measurables over production. If the technique and instincts are there, surely size and athleticism can be worked on? Especially if it's just a matter of putting on/losing weight. As for combine performances, lots of players had poor shows but still went on to have great careers. Game tape is way more important in judging players, in my opinion.

Pretty much the exact opposite, technique can be taught and "instincts" can be improved by coaching the correct reads. You can make a guy stronger or leaner but you can't make him taller or give him longer arms or bigger hands. Seriously if you see an NFL QB's hands they are like dinner plates, that's how they can get such great control over the ball. These are the things that are out of a coach's control
Original post by Hedgeman49
Pretty much the exact opposite, technique can be taught and "instincts" can be improved by coaching the correct reads. You can make a guy stronger or leaner but you can't make him taller or give him longer arms or bigger hands. Seriously if you see an NFL QB's hands they are like dinner plates, that's how they can get such great control over the ball. These are the things that are out of a coach's control

You can't teach instincts, that's basically the defintion of the word. That it's completely natural or innate. You hear it all the time around the draft, "he has a nose for the end zone", "he always finds a way to get to the QB".

I appreciate the point about arm length/hand size but I was referring more to weight, speed and agility. I think all of those can be improved, especially when you have nutrition and fitness coaches getting paid to help you.
You can't teach instincts, that's basically the defintion of the word. That it's completely natural or innate. You hear it all the time around the draft, "he has a nose for the end zone", "he always finds a way to get to the QB".

I appreciate the point about arm length/hand size but I was referring more to weight, speed and agility. I think all of those can be improved, especially when you have nutrition and fitness coaches getting paid to help you.

If we were to apply this to players, the perfect comparison has just come out of the draft. Jake Matthews and Greg Robinson, Matthews has all the technique and instincts to play the LT position, you can drop him in your team and you'll have a solid starter without a shadow of a doubt. Greg Robinson has the standout measurables, that gives him a higher ceiling at the cost of being a slightly more developmental prospect, everything says the risk isn't high that he is just terrible so Robinson goes higher because he has the potential to be better than Matthews despite not being as polished in NFL ready technique as Matthews is now!
Instincts can be improved upon, that's what drills are for. You do the same thing over and over, or practice a situation over and over until becomes natural to do. Come game day, you don't even think about what you're doing and just react.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tokyoround
Instincts can be improved upon, that's what drills are for. You do the same thing over and over, or practice a situation over and over until becomes natural to do. Come game day, you don't even think about what you're doing and just react.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true, the 'muscle memory' idea makes a particular thing become instinctive.
Think we're gonna see the Patriots add a tight end or two come June the 1st. Namely Dustin Keller :biggrin:

Cannot wait for Revis island though...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8756
****. Well that's the Cowboys' best defensive player out for the year.
Original post by alow
****. Well that's the Cowboys' best defensive player out for the year.

Really feel for lee
Reply 8758
Original post by Malevolent
Really feel for lee

He just couldn't be any more unlucky.
Original post by alow
He just couldn't be any more unlucky.

Tell me about it! Even when he is healthy, he still has to play for the Cowboys! :tongue:

Nah, in all seriousness, one of my favourite linebackers in the game.

Latest