The Student Room Group

Edexcel C1/C2 June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rapunzelsa
yeah that's what I mean, it is 180

Yeah that's what I wrote?
Original post by Muj786
I got banned on another thread because I asked someone to explain how to answer a question. So im assuming if u explain how to do any question before midnight/stating answers then u can get banned.

Yes that was the impression I got from the update.
Discussion allowed; posting working out to questions, not allowed.
Original post by XI Ki11JoY IX
It was not a hard question, I am certain I have 80% of the marks, Trapezium surface area = 9600cm^2 , length y = 320/x^2 just by basic dvision of the surface area, surface area is just adding the area of all 6 sides which is just (9+6+5+4)x y + 60x^2 , then differentiate it to get minium for x, then diff it again to get +ve gradient, making it a minimum

It wasn't hard, it was long. Long at the end of a test paper.
How on earth do you do the 3tanx - 2sinx=0 question??
I did 3(sinx/cosx) -2sinx=0
But i just could not get rid of the cos....
that was awful. My mind went blank 2347 times.
Original post by ChordaeTendineae
From a couple of days ago:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2686937

"It’s really simple: once your exam has finished, you can come onto TSR and talk about the detail of it straight away. Previously, we had a rule in place that prevented you from discussing the specifics of certain exams until a set amount of time had passed. We think TSR can be much more helpful than that, and so that rule has now gone."

But no detailed mark schemes allowed until midnight.

ah ok, Thanks for providing this source. but won't this still give an unfair advantage?
Original post by ChordaeTendineae
From a couple of days ago:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2686937

"It’s really simple: once your exam has finished, you can come onto TSR and talk about the detail of it straight away. Previously, we had a rule in place that prevented you from discussing the specifics of certain exams until a set amount of time had passed. We think TSR can be much more helpful than that, and so that rule has now gone."

But no detailed mark schemes allowed until midnight.

If this thread was "illegal" It would be closed on sight from one of the admins. Speaking of which if you're about to take the exam you will not need f(ax-b) = f(b/a) remainder or any of the log laws and the combination 1 6 15 20 15 6 1 for the binomial question
Original post by Rosie1418

I got stuck on the question because I had been studying c3 -c4 (that doesn't make sense does it?) anyway you are required to rearrange, I can't go into anymore details than that because people are talking about bans, but take sinx onto the other side and work from there.
Original post by Muj786
I got banned on another thread because I asked someone to explain how to answer a question. So im assuming if u explain how to do any question before midnight/stating answers then u can get banned.

Was this for C1? I got a yellow card on the 19th and the rules were updated on the 20th....
Brutal, absolutely horrible. Aced some of the questions and fortunately that includes the last one. The shape, the tan, the circle and a couple more questions were very dodgy though. Also my algebra kept failing so I ended up using trial and error for the Sn one, can that get me full marks if it doesn't specify the need for equations in the question? Also if I would need to show working would half crossed out work be markable? I remember one of my GCSE teachers saying markers marked the crossed out work too.

Also this is an acceptable amount of detail right? I've been as vague as I can be without remembering the question numbers.
(edited 9 years ago)

you didn't have to get rid of the cos you were supposed to multiply both sides by cosx then factorise
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 430
Original post by Master722
Was this for C1? I got a yellow card on the 19th and the rules were updated on the 20th....

Yes it was haha. Guess that explains our yellow cards then. Im guessing we can discuss now? Because the update occured 1 day after our yellow cards?
Original post by SpartanN7
Brutal, absolutely horrible. Aced some of the questions and fortunately that includes the last one. The shape, the tan, the circle and a couple more questions were very dodgy though. Also my algebra kept failing so I ended up using trial and error for the Sn one, can that get me full marks if it doesn't specify the need for equations in the question? Also if I would need to show working would half crossed out work be markable? I remember one of my GCSE teachers saying markers marked the crossed out work too.

Also this is an acceptable amount of detail right? I've been as vague as I can be without remembering the question numbers.

I used my good old calc for a few questions lol, the one question I tried to be nice with bit back. So I took the gloves off ... 2 mins before the exam ended.
Original post by Brohawk
you didn't have to get rid of the cos you were supposed to factorise haha

3tanx=2sinx

3sinx/cosx = 2sinx

3sinx = 2 sinxcosx

3/2 = cosx

not sure if 2 and the 3 are the other way round but whatever
So annoyed with myself :frown:
do you think I would've got method mark(s) for rewriting tan as (Sinx\cosx) or were you not supposed to do that?
Also for the calculus on the last question.. did you get x=4?
Completely didn't see how you had to find k on the circle one, did so much working which I knew had to be too much for a 3 mark question and I must have been missing something obvious. Unfortunately I didn't realise by the end of the exam (now know how simple it in fact was). However for the second part where you had to do the equation I just did it with using k in the equation and hopefully by showing I can construct the equation correctly I might be able to pick up 1 out of the 2 marks for that. We will see, a tough paper certainly.
this exam was mostly calculations. it started with trapezium rule which is an a question that you see at q3/4 usually. usually it starts with a geometric series without any part b but this one had part b which was easy anyways but was extra effort. i think this paper was not hard but there was certainly more to do ti the the marks. grade boundaries will hopefully be like:

c1: 60/75 A
c2: 58/75 A
So annoyed with myself :frown:
do you think I would've got method mark(s) for rewriting tan as (Sinx\cosx) or were you not supposed to do that?
Also for the calculus on the last question.. did you get x=4?

What was the last calculus qs?
Original post by XI Ki11JoY IX
3tanx=2sinx

3sinx/cosx = 2sinx

3sinx = 2 sinxcosx

3/2 = cosx

not sure if 2 and the 3 are the other way round but whatever

You can't cancel sinx like that - you'll miss some values!
I saw so many people on question 10 when I was on 7 and I had over 30mins left.... I'm guessing people skipped to the end > _________________________________ >
Is it just me or did anyone find it extremely hard compared to other years?

Quick Reply

Latest