The Student Room Group

OCR History - British Depth Study

Right, I know that the answers are all in the paper because it's the source based paper. So what sort of things should I actually revise, as the historical information is in the paper (I don't get SPaG marks because I have a scribe)? Is it basically just look at a few sources and see what I come up with?
Reply 1
Are you doing British Depth study 1890-1918 or 1939-1975?
Reply 2
Original post by ozie170
Are you doing British Depth study 1890-1918 or 1939-1975?

1890-1918
YES! Finally someone who's doing the 1890-1918 topic :smile:

Erm I think it's a good idea to revise various attitudes towards... things. Like female suffrage, DORA, stuff. Because there may be questions on "does this source prove this thing was popular" and you have to use your own knowledge to say why/why not. Also in the big final questions where it asks if all the sources support this statement, it's probably a better idea to use your own knowledge to make the points and use the sources to back yourself up.

So what I'm saying is. Revise everything. Which is unhelpful.
But it does help to know your stuff. Particularly dates, as the sources will be dated and you'll have to know what stuff in particular is happening at that time.

Having rambled on, I'm not sure myself, I'm just glad to find a kindred historian who isn't doing the later period :')
I'm doing that paper as well, i can't seem to find any source material which give me the explanation errr ...
Anyone doing 1939-1975 really need some advice :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What topic do you think will come up? i think im doing the same exam as you... the three topics are either home front in the first world war, women or liberal reforms, right? my teacher thinks its going to be home front and seems pretty certain but i dont want to risk only revising one topic. any ideas what the topic will be?
Original post by sdklgjfeiorg
I'm doing that paper as well, i can't seem to find any source material which give me the explanation errr ...
historylearningsite and johndclare are normally quite helpful with that
I'm doing 1939-75, here are some key dates and stuff:
Women
-1948 NHS Introduced
-1961 Pill Dispensed under the NHS
-1967 Abortion Act
-1967 Family Planning Act
-1969 Matrimonial Property Act
-1970 Equal Pay Act
-1975 Sex Discrimination Act

Womens Liberation wanted: Equal Pay, Equal opportunities/education, 24-hour Nurseries and free contraception on demand.

Immigration:
-Many people were invited over(NHS & London Transport recruited people)
-1950-75, Irish, Eastern European, West Indies and Indian Sub-Continant(people arrived in England)
-1968 Enoch Powell 'River of Blood' Speech
-1972 Ugandan President Idi Amin expelled 50,000 Asians

Teenagers
Basically just not replicas of their parents as fashion changed, music(e.g The Beatles), Teenage Rebellion (Mods, Rockers, Teddy Boys).
Grammer/Secondary Schools(11 Plus Test)
New Universities and Polytechnics
Reply 10
Original post by DaBenZhong
YES! Finally someone who's doing the 1890-1918 topic :smile:

Erm I think it's a good idea to revise various attitudes towards... things. Like female suffrage, DORA, stuff. Because there may be questions on "does this source prove this thing was popular" and you have to use your own knowledge to say why/why not. Also in the big final questions where it asks if all the sources support this statement, it's probably a better idea to use your own knowledge to make the points and use the sources to back yourself up.

So what I'm saying is. Revise everything. Which is unhelpful.
But it does help to know your stuff. Particularly dates, as the sources will be dated and you'll have to know what stuff in particular is happening at that time.

Having rambled on, I'm not sure myself, I'm just glad to find a kindred historian who isn't doing the later period :')

OK thanks

Original post by sdklgjfeiorg

past papers and mark schemes on OCR website

Original post by gracekenwright
What topic do you think will come up? i think im doing the same exam as you... the three topics are either home front in the first world war, women or liberal reforms, right? my teacher thinks its going to be home front and seems pretty certain but i dont want to risk only revising one topic. any ideas what the topic will be?

Well... I think it might be the home front

Original post by Salsa123
historylearningsite and johndclare are normally quite helpful with that

oh yeah - forgot about them

Original post by Radical Lemon

ah okay thanks for the help everyone - how do you guys think you did?
Original post by Andy98
OK thanks

past papers and mark schemes on OCR website

Well... I think it might be the home front

oh yeah - forgot about them

ah okay thanks for the help everyone - how do you guys think you did?

I mean we were expecting to have questions on Women's Suffrage but we also knew that they might try to change the order to make it less predictable so though we were caught off guard by the questions on propaganda and censorship it wasn't too tricky. Hopefully I'll get an A/A* as did most of my classmates hoped for themselves.
Reply 12
I mean we were expecting to have questions on Women's Suffrage but we also knew that they might try to change the order to make it less predictable so though we were caught off guard by the questions on propaganda and censorship it wasn't too tricky. Hopefully I'll get an A/A* as did most of my classmates hoped for themselves.

Yeah good luck with that - I was sort of expecting the home front because of the centenary
Original post by Andy98
Yeah good luck with that - I was sort of expecting the home front because of the centenary

Yeah and I would've loved to have gone to the battlefields for the centenary because the government was picking 2 students from each school but it coincided with GCSEs so my teacher said that we couldn't be picked, it would have absolutely been an amazing experience.:frown:
Reply 14
Yeah and I would've loved to have gone to the battlefields for the centenary because the government was picking 2 students from each school but it coincided with GCSEs so my teacher said that we couldn't be picked, it would have absolutely been an amazing experience.:frown:

We never got told about that!:angry:
Original post by Andy98
We never got told about that!:angry:

yeah the teachers didn't tell us about it but I found out about it on the news and asked my history teacher.
Reply 16
yeah the teachers didn't tell us about it but I found out about it on the news and asked my history teacher.

oh right

Quick Reply

Latest