The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AR_95
Imagine if we signed Toure/Vela/Remy

It would the invincibles again with Viera/Pirez/Henry again !

:rofl:

Haha but I don't get why AFC peeps would want Remy, I've yet to encounter a serious Gooner who wants him. He's not capable of Henry type things... he's in his prime and still fails to impress me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We ain't getting Toure, get that pipe dream out of your head !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peggles_*
We ain't getting Toure, get that pipe dream out of your head !

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a feeling you wanted to resign Kolo Toure.
Original post by Doppelgänger
Haha but I don't get why AFC peeps would want Remy, I've yet to encounter a serious Gooner who wants him. He's not capable of Henry type things... he's in his prime and still fails to impress me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

was not being serious at all
Original post by AR_95
Was not being serious

Personally I think you have a point. Remy can play on the wing as well like Henry and he's getting a mad goal return for a guy who plays at Newcastle.

Vela is clearly a better player than Pirez if I'm being honest.

Toure is better than Viera too. It's just imagination and people living in the past for people to think otherwise, Did Viera get those same goal returns and they both play in a 4-4-2.
Original post by jam278
Personally I think you have a point. Remy can play on the wing as well like Henry and he's getting a mad goal return for a guy who plays at Newcastle.

Toure is better than Viera too. It's just imagination and people living in the past for people to think otherwise, Did Viera get those same goal returns and they both play in a 4-4-2.

How old are you? Cant imagine anyone who saw Pires play would say that.

Toure and Vieira close to call, but Vieira offered more all round that Toure does. Was much more defensively involved so its not as simple as to talk about goal returns.
Original post by Zürich
I think Aurier is as good as signed tbh

I hope so. I have a feeling Wenger will delay until after the WC by which time he's price will be 12m and Wenger will refuse to pay. Snap him up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich

Toure and Vieira close to call, but Vieira offered more all round that Toure does. Was much more defensively involved so its not as simple as to talk about goal returns.

I'm 20.

Those goalscoring returns from Vela, a 20 goal a season winger who offers flair and dribbling ability to boot. Pires to me just seemed like one of those highlight reel players if I'm being honest, good player though but I always preferred Llungberg. It can be argued that Robben was probably better at Chelsea when fit and Giggs obviously blows Pires out the water.

The ways of Pires are outdated nowadays as well. He'd work well for Manchester United though, could probably start for them now even though he's 40.
Original post by jam278
I'm 20.

Those goalscoring returns from Vela, a 20 goal a season winger who offers flair and dribbling ability to boot. Pires to me just seemed like one of those highlight reel players if I'm being honest, good player though but I always preferred Llungberg. It can be argued that Robben was probably better at Chelsea when fit and Giggs obviously blows Pires out the water.

The ways of Pires are outdated nowadays as well. He'd work well for Manchester United though, could probably start for them now even though he's 40.

So Pires didnt offer flair and dribbling ability? He was one of the most intelligent players Ive ever seen at AFC, wasnt the fastest but his awareness of space and technique to manipulate it made him world class. Could play him as a CAM easily. He was certainly a goal threat as well, was banging in 15+ a season.

If you're going to compare Pires to modern day wide men, then it's names like Silva you should be bringing up not Vela. Pires is the same age as Giggs, and 2000-2006 Pires was the far far superior player. As was Overmars 1997-2000 for that matter.

Ljungberg wasn't the most gifted player overall, but he had brilliant timing and scored the same type of goal over and over again. Hang on the RW jogging on the spot, see Henry peeling away, space opens in the middle, Bergkamp plays it into the space, goal. 2002 he was absolutely terrifying, never the same after his injury tho , lost alot of his pace, even if he hit some of the heights in 2004 too. By 2006 he was finished though, dont know why Pires came off over him in the CL final really.

Interesting to listen to Lehmann the other day on Ljungberg. Said that after 2005 when the team was built around Cesc and possession more, that Ljungerg couldnt hack it because his instinct was entirely based on one touch football and releasing him early.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
So Pires didnt offer flair and dribbling ability? He was one of the most intelligent players Ive ever seen at AFC, wasnt the fastest but his awareness of space and technique to manipulate it made him world class. Could play him as a CAM easily. He was certainly a goal threat as well, was banging in 15+ a season.

If you're going to compare Pires to modern day wide men, then it's names like Silva you should be bringing up not Vela. Pires is the same age as Giggs, and 2000-2006 Pires was the far far superior player. As was Overmars 1997-2000 for that matter.

Ljungberg wasn't the most gifted player overall, but he had brilliant timing and scored the same type of goal over and over again. Hang on the RW jogging on the spot, see Henry peeling away, space opens in the middle, Bergkamp plays it into the space, goal. 2002 he was absolutely terrifying, never the same after his injury tho even if he hit some of the heights in 2004 too. By 2006 he was finished though, dont know why Pires came off over him in the CL final really.

That's great to know.
Original post by jam278

Original post by Zürich

It was subtle bait, jam style, I think

Come on Zurich :colonhash:
(edited 9 years ago)
Cesc as a false 9?
Cesc ain't going anywhere
Original post by shawn_o1
Cesc ain't going anywhere

Are you his agent?
Original post by Stalin
Are you his agent?

No, but why would he leave his home town club when he's already had the chance to prove himself there?

(If you're so sure he would leave, provide a source please.)

lol..... not sure if srs. look at d8
Reply 5177
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest

And isn't that Fab signing for Barca anyway lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
And isn't that Fab signing for Barca anyway lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest

Guys if you think thats a big transfer story then this one will blow your mind, Arsenal going for a club record signing! apparently this kid could become a top striker, always a gamble though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/410855.stm
Reply 5179
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
Guys if you think thats a big transfer story then this one will blow your mind, Arsenal going for a club record signing! apparently this kid could become a top striker, always a gamble though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/410855.stm

:colonhash: can't believe I fell for that. +1.

Latest