The Student Room Group

gcse english literature edexcel poems exam today

did anyone have this exam today. if you did how did u find the first question on bats and what points did u make. also how did u think u did on the Belfast confetti questions and what did u include in your answer
Reply 1
Hey, I did this exam! I thought it was okay, I was quite pleased that Belfast Confetti came up :smile:

For the Bats poem I wrote about how bats were elegant (imagery with the somersaulting), non-stop (enjambment and one long stanza) and the baby had to adapt quickly (born blind and pale but then has to learn to hang on tightly) with animal instincts. To be honest I wasn't really sure about that question... what did you write?

For Belfast Confetti I wrote about the metaphor with punctuation and how conflict is confusing with no decided fate - fusillade of question marks. I said about how the short lines in the poem kept the reader looking backwards and forwards, like having to keep up with the action but also that the short lines could represent the fact the writer thinks conflict makes no progress (short lines don't go very far). I also mentioned that normal items like bolts and keys are used in conflict which shows that normal items can be turned to weapons in conflict so the writer thinks that conflict changes things. I went on a bit of a weird point about how the poet was Irish and maybe he was 'stuttering' because English isn't his first language so it could also be a clash as well as a collision. Not really sure about my last point to be honest..

What did you do for the comparison question? I chose to compare Invasion rather than Exposure because I felt I could write more about it but everyone else I've spoken to did Exposure. Ah well.
Reply 2
Original post by the traveller
did anyone have this exam today. if you did how did u find the first question on bats and what points did u make. also how did u think u did on the Belfast confetti questions and what did u include in your answer

I wrote about complex use of adjective in the portrayal of his affection for Bats. How he uses imaginary to portrays the Bats by the use of human anatomy 'teeth toes'. Structural perspective of poem etc. alright exam after talking to my friends about it; should get 40/50 (a/a*) and a B overall for the course.
i found bats easy, i wrote about the bond between mother and daughter and how this was personified, i also wrote about how the bats were elegant. I wrote about how raining exclaimation marks were a phathetic phallacy and compared it to exposure.
Original post by curlymess
Hey, I did this exam! I thought it was okay, I was quite pleased that Belfast Confetti came up :smile:

For the Bats poem I wrote about how bats were elegant (imagery with the somersaulting), non-stop (enjambment and one long stanza) and the baby had to adapt quickly (born blind and pale but then has to learn to hang on tightly) with animal instincts. To be honest I wasn't really sure about that question... what did you write?

For Belfast Confetti I wrote about the metaphor with punctuation and how conflict is confusing with no decided fate - fusillade of question marks. I said about how the short lines in the poem kept the reader looking backwards and forwards, like having to keep up with the action but also that the short lines could represent the fact the writer thinks conflict makes no progress (short lines don't go very far). I also mentioned that normal items like bolts and keys are used in conflict which shows that normal items can be turned to weapons in conflict so the writer thinks that conflict changes things. I went on a bit of a weird point about how the poet was Irish and maybe he was 'stuttering' because English isn't his first language so it could also be a clash as well as a collision. Not really sure about my last point to be honest..

What did you do for the comparison question? I chose to compare Invasion rather than Exposure because I felt I could write more about it but everyone else I've spoken to did Exposure. Ah well.

yeah, for bats i wrote about imagery, descriptive language,how they were elegant and that the writer is trying to challenge the common stereotype about how bats are associated with evil e.g vampires

for Belfast confetti i talked mainly about the effects of conflict on the victim, and the language features that are used like short dramatic sentences.

and for the comparative piece i didn't really have much time to be choosing another poem so i stayed with exposure. my friend also did invasion so i guess its not just you.
Original post by Okeyiaj
I wrote about complex use of adjective in the portrayal of his affection for Bats. How he uses imaginary to portrays the Bats by the use of human anatomy 'teeth toes'. Structural perspective of poem etc. alright exam after talking to my friends about it; should get 40/50 (a/a*) and a B overall for the course.

why b, is it becasue controlled assessment is dragging you down, because it is for me.
Reply 6
Original post by the traveller
why b, is it becasue controlled assessment is dragging you down, because it is for me.

Yeah s*it f***ing controlled assessment apparently got me band 4&3. What is a band 3/4 in grades? And WBU?

Quick Reply

Latest