The Student Room Group

Can someone explain university? (UK)

I am an a level student looking at going to univrsity. There are lots of terms which I don't understand. What is undergraduate, post graduate and freshman etc. I would also like to know what kind of things you do, are all degrees exams? What goes on at uni. Can someone just explain everything.
Generally speaking University is an environment where people hone their research skills and learn independently. If you are unable to answer your own questions then you are probably wasting your time applying to University (which you also misspelt).
Original post by liquidlizard
I am an a level student looking at going to univrsity. There are lots of terms which I don't understand. What is undergraduate, post graduate and freshman etc. I would also like to know what kind of things you do, are all degrees exams? What goes on at uni. Can someone just explain everything.

Hello I'll try to explain as best I can.

Undergraduate is the lowest level at university, it is the level you are on when you finish school/ college (note: in England college is not like american college it is something you do form age 16-18). When you finish your degree is will be graded like this : 1st, 2:1, 2:2 and 3rd. A first is the best grade and third is the worst.

Postgraduate degrees (Masters degrees and PhDs) are degrees you do after you have completed an undergraduate degree. They are at a higher level to undergraduate and are often research based.

I do not know what I freshman is here in terms of levels as I've never heard of our levels being called freshman, but you could be referring to the term "freshers" these are students who are in the their first year of an undergraduate degree, the term is used to refer to an event called freshers were all the new students meet up and go to events.

Pretty much all undergraduate degrees will have exams, though that will depend on your degree and what modules are i the degree, some modules will be 100% exam assessed, others coursework and others a mixture.

What goes on at uni will largely depend on your course, what university you are at and at what level. For the most part in undergraduate degrees students will go to lectures and some seminars and depending on the degree some workshops or practical work. For postgraduate degrees there are far less lectures, more seminars and mainly research.
Original post by SophieSmall

Undergraduate is the lowest level at university, it is the level you are on when you finish school/ college (note: in England college is not like american college it is something you do form age 16-18). When you finish your degree is will be graded like this : 1st, 2:1, 2:2 and 3rd. A first is the best grade and third is the worst.

Postgraduate degrees (Masters degrees and PhDs) are degrees you do after you have completed an undergraduate degree. They are at a higher level to undergraduate and are often research based.

I do not know what I freshman is here in terms of levels as I've never heard of our levels being called freshman, but you could be referring to the term "freshers" these are students who are in the their first year of an undergraduate degree, the term is used to refer to an event called freshers were all the new students meet up and go to events.

Pretty much all undergraduate degrees will have exams, though that will depend on your degree and what modules are i the degree, some modules will be 100% exam assessed, others coursework and others a mixture.

What goes on at uni will largely depend on your course, what university you are at and at what level. For the most part in undergraduate degrees students will go to lectures and some seminars and depending on the degree some workshops or practical work. For postgraduate degrees there are far less lectures, more seminars and mainly research.

Thank you, that was very helpful :-)
Original post by Lotus_Eater
Generally speaking University is an environment where people hone their research skills and learn independently. If you are unable to answer your own questions then you are probably wasting your time applying to University (which you also misspelt).

I was typing this in a hurry so made a mistake with spelling. Also, when I tried to look online, websites just didn't explain in enough detail.
Original post by liquidlizard
Thank you, that was very helpful :-)

you're very welcome :smile:
Original post by SophieSmall

Fresher is short for freshman.

In the US it goes: freshman, sophomore, junior, senior.

Over here we just say fresher, 2nd year, 3rd year etc.
Original post by cole-slaw
Fresher is short for freshman.

In the US it goes: freshman, sophomore, junior, senior.

Over here we just say fresher, 2nd year, 3rd year etc.

Oh I know that, I just meant that I have never heard Freshman being used here in the UK, not in the same ways as sophmore, junior etc.
Original post by Lotus_Eater

A little harsh - me thinks!! I certainly understand the structure of university better since attending it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending