The Student Room Group

AQA History AS HIS2B Church in England: Struggle for Supremacy 1529-1547

How did everyone find this exam on 22nd May 2014? I found the source question really hard and I did the 12 mark on Thomas More and the 24 mark on legislation passed by the parliament which I also found tricky!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AspiringWriter10
How did everyone find this exam on 22nd May 2014? I found the source question really hard and I did the 12 mark on Thomas More and the 24 mark on legislation passed by the parliament which I also found tricky!!

I did the same. I found it ok, as I have done 2010 paper with the same 24 marker. What were your 3 reasons for More's execution? I found that quite hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flipflop1
I did the same. I found it ok, as I have done 2010 paper with the same 24 marker. What were your 3 reasons for More's execution? I found that quite hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found it awful! It wasn't what I was expecting at all, I wanted something on the King's Great Matter or the Dissolution of the Monasteries :frown: I said that More wouldn't sign the Oath of Succession in 1534 so Henry got mad basically, I said that Richard Rich gave evidence at the trial of Thomas More which led to the execution and my last point was that More favoured the Deutronomy argument over the Leviticus (which Henry made) and that made Henry annoyed.. I don't know if they are right at all! What were your 3 points?
That exam was so bad someone kill me now please i have failed
Original post by hereticalpilgrim
That exam was so bad someone kill me now please i have failed

It was absolutely solid
Reply 5
Original post by AspiringWriter10
I found it awful! It wasn't what I was expecting at all, I wanted something on the King's Great Matter or the Dissolution of the Monasteries :frown: I said that More wouldn't sign the Oath of Succession in 1534 so Henry got mad basically, I said that Richard Rich gave evidence at the trial of Thomas More which led to the execution and my last point was that More favoured the Deutronomy argument over the Leviticus (which Henry made) and that made Henry annoyed.. I don't know if they are right at all! What were your 3 points?

Yeah similar although instead of Richard Rich point I said More's underlying religious beliefs clashed with Henry's attempts to the Break With Rome.

Your 3 reasons sound good!! Mine were all too similar

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah similar although instead of Richard Rich point I said More's underlying religious beliefs clashed with Henry's attempts to the Break With Rome.

Your 3 reasons sound good!! Mine were all too similar

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel as though mine were all similar too, it was a hard question!
I did the Thomas More question and didn't find that too bad... everything else though :/
On the legislation question was it ok to argue that some parliamentary legislation didn't have anything to do with the Church?
Reply 8
Original post by twelfthnight
I did the Thomas More question and didn't find that too bad... everything else though :/
On the legislation question was it ok to argue that some parliamentary legislation didn't have anything to do with the Church?

That's exactly what I argued e.g. Act of Succession, Treason act etc
I also argued that the parliamentary changes were not doctrinal changes
Not really sure,..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really sure,..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I did pretty much the same as that :smile:
Undoubtedly the easier paper I've ever sat. The sources were so black and white, I was actually disappointed that it was so straight forward. I had to remind myself halfway through the exam that this was AS Level and not GCSE all over again.
Sources were quite easy.. I seem to be the only person who did questions 5 and 6?! My mind went blank at More's name so I didn't pick it!! If anyone did Q6 what did you write for the 24 marker on 1541-1547??

(PS What was the 12 marker? Q5? completely forgotten the question already!)
Reply 12
Why were the Seymour faction influential? Frustrating that I ran out of time on the source 12 mark question.
Original post by Alexovic
Why were the Seymour faction influential? Frustrating that I ran out of time on the source 12 mark question.

Oh yeah! That wasn't too bad a question - I wrote about why the conservatives fell from power (not sure if that's relevant to the question but oh well!), the dry stamp etc but I ran out of time. Also panicked due to lack of points and said that Dudley was groom of the stool!! :colondollar: What did anyone else write for 5&6?
Reply 14
Yeah I did that question too. Would've preferred to write about the influence of the Howard faction.
Not really sure,..

I also argued that the legislation passed did not neccesarily concern the church as a whole. I argued that the church was not completely changed because legislaiton was passed in response to events such as the divorce proceedings against Catherine.

However, my conclusion was so dodgy that its not very convincing, so max 16/17 out of 24 for me :smile:
I'm expecting nothing short of 100% in this. My school made me take a practice AS last summer in order to push me further after the insult that was GCSE history, and I got 100UMS. I replicated this in the mock this year, and I found this even more straight forward.
I got 100 in this.
any predictions for 2015 exam ?
Original post by paulina1111
any predictions for 2015 exam ?

I think the Acts of Supremacy

Quick Reply