The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AR_95
Not sure if sarcasm

Obviously the SAS is better this season, I was merely contemplating what could have been

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's in a bad mood
Original post by Zürich
We havent actually seen Giroud/Walcott this season at all really. If Giroud can play at the level he did in August-Jan, then you could see them doing really well tbf

Walcott seemed like one of our most impactful players in December anyway.

He'll make things so much easier for Ozil next season

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Not sure if sarcasm

Obviously the SAS is better this season, I was merely contemplating what could have been

Posted from TSR Mobile

No sarcasm or underlying undertones in my statement to you. Potential and what could have happened can easily be extrapolated to what is real.
Anyone think Woj could be our captain one day?
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
Anyone think Woj could be our captain one day?

There's no way to predict this. I strongly think Mertesacker should and will get captaincy if Vermaelen leaves however he's getting quite old (ish) so only has a few years in him.

Schezny still needs to mature a lot but I can see him doing so. One of the best goal keepers in the league imo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Thought Rooney fitted quite well as a false 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's Rooney got to do with anything and everything Arsenal?!
Original post by Doppelgänger
What's Rooney got to do with anything and everything Arsenal?!

You said you don't buy into false 9's so used Rooney as an example. Calm down :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278
So essentially you're saying that RVP is a bigger name, Sturridge hasn't made enough of a name for himself so you use the ****ter team excuse. Suarez played for a ****ter team and I was saying that RVP did better than Suarez last season.

RVP's all round game is ok but nothing amazing. He can hold up the ball when need be and act as a reference point while helping people get forward and his passing is better than Sturridges, but Sturridge's link up play is very underrated and like with Sterling, you see him often making 30-40 yard passes with ease.

RVP is proven international and Sturridge isn't because Hodgson is an idiot, even now he knows that Sturridge is probably a better option than Rooney but he plays him out wide to fit Rooney in a ****ty system, or he plays 4-4-2. Lets not even mention having no goals downing, then having Carroll and Welbeck in the euro 2012 squad. If you have an idiot managing the national team you can't be complaining about Sturridge's lack of international experience.

Maybe we need to see both players have injury free seasons to actually compare who is better. But on the basis of last season, it's clear who had the better season.

Doesn't matter what you think lol, two seasons ago Suarez and Bale were the two best players in the league, van Persie and Mata were behind.

van Persie's all round game is a level above Sturridge's. Don't get gassed Jam. Sturridge can do 30-40 yard passes but they aren't to any great standard. Just as many of them go wrong as they go right, and van Persie's are better, and I don't know why you'd isolate all round game to just 30-40 yard passes. Sturridge's link up play is no better than van Persie's, don't kid yourself.

With regards to international proven, it wasn't just that, it was also more PL proven. van Persie's last 3 and a half seasons in the PL have been largely injury free and outstandingly good, whereas Sturridge has 1 and a half injury free outstanding seasons. van Persie's just done it on a bigger scale, and for that, he definitely gets a higher rating than Sturridge. Proven, lengthy success over one and a half seasons, for sure.

Sturridge had a better season than van Persie last year, but not by much. Look into the stats and you'll see that van Persie scored 18 goals in 23 starts in all competitions, Sturridge got 24 in 31. van Persie played for a horrible, defensive manager who ran him into the ground in training sessions and knew nothing about attacking football, finishing 7th. Sturridge played for the best manager in the league, and was part of a unit which scored 101 goals, finishing second, 30 or so points ahead.

To reduce van Persie's successes since 2010 into 'Sturridge was better last year' is retarded. Grow up, take your blinkers off and lose the Sturridge boner.
Original post by Zürich
We havent actually seen Giroud/Walcott this season at all really. If Giroud can play at the level he did in August-Jan, then you could see them doing really well tbf

Good point, they'd probably match Aguero and Negredo if they were all fit.
Pellergrini > Rodgers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
You said you don't buy into false 9's so used Rooney as an example. Calm down :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Man's calm. I said I don't buy into false 9's at AFC and there's no chance of Rooney transferring to us, so it's harldy relevant to mention him that's why I was confused to why you did.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Slow Jamz
van Persie's all round game is a level above Sturridge's. Don't get gassed Jam. Sturridge can do 30-40 yard passes but they aren't to any great standard. Just as many of them go wrong as they go right, and van Persie's are better, and I don't know why you'd isolate all round game to just 30-40 yard passes. Sturridge's link up play is no better than van Persie's, don't kid yourself. .

Tell me when I said that wasn't the case or are you having problems with semantics? I said Sturridge's link up play is underrated, I said RVP has ok link up play, when did that mean that I said that RVP doesn't have better link up play than Sturridge or are you just trying to argue to suit your point?

Won't even bother replying to the rest of the drivel in your post.
Original post by Doppelgänger
Man's calm. I said I don't buy into false 9's at AFC and there's no chance of Rooney transferring to us, so it's harldy relevant to mention him that's why I was confused to why you did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We both misinterpreted I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
We both misinterpreted I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Pellergrini > Rodgers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good point, one has been to a CL semi final and won a double in his first season in english football while one hasn't won a single trophy since being in the premier league for over 3 years now.

If he keeps it up he'll do a David Moyes.
Original post by jam278
Good point, one has been to a CL semi final and won a double in his first season in english football while one hasn't won a single trophy since being in the premier league for over 3 years now.

If he keeps it up he'll do a David Moyes.

Rodgers hype is unbelievable. Whilst he's a good manager, the hype will get exposed next season along with Martinez

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Have audacity to suggest van Persie is better than Sturridge

Get labelled drivel
Reply 5297
Can confirm doppelgänger is not Zurich

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
Can confirm doppelgänger is not Zurich

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brah why would you need to confirm such a thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5299
Original post by AR_95
Brah why would you need to confirm such a thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're gonna get a reminder of rules for that :colonhash:

Somebody before said that he was Zurich.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest