The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FKLW
Hahaha... Same for me man. That's what got me through last season, trust me :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you think got me through the last 8?
zidane vs brazil in 2006 was absolute tekkerz
Original post by Pete_91
It's like a nostalgia trip for me tbh, happy to impart any knowledge I have!

I'm a fan of the game first and foremost, then Arsenal.

Same.

Personally like all avenues of the game though, sometimes the dirty gritty side is cool tbh.
France should have won that final. **** Italy, dirty dirty team that was

srs heart attack when Zidane shot from 30 yards out and it hit the top crossbar. wasn't it like 2-2 during this
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
Same.

Personally like all avenues of the game though, sometimes the dirty gritty side is cool tbh.

Yeah you belong in the Serie A school of catenaccio, your football hipster quiz result would read as this (borrowed from the quiz):

"You say Italian teams in an Italian accent, love stories of tactical innovations of the 1950s and prefer a well-executed lateral five-yard pass to a 30-yard screamer into the top corner"
Original post by AR_95
France should have won that final. **** Italy, dirty dirty team that was

srs heart attack when Zidane from 30 yards out and it hid the top crossbar. wasn't it like 2-2 during this

1-1
Original post by Pete_91
1-1

Yeah my bad. Still, the impact that goal would have had..
Reply 5367
Original post by Pete_91
What do you think got me through the last 8?

:rofl: continued top 4 my friend! Also is anyone here a fan of their team before the game?

Tbh I agree with Jam. I'd rather see a solid defensive performance than a high-goal scoring game- and by that I don't mean a drab 0-0 draw with 3 shots between the teams on target; I mean cagey 1-0 and 2-1 wins where teams defend and attack well. I'm more of a pragmatist than a purist tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pete_91
Yeah you belong in the Serie A school of catenaccio, your football hipster quiz result would read as this (borrowed from the quiz):

"You say Italian teams in an Italian accent, love stories of tactical innovations of the 1950s and prefer a well-executed lateral five-yard pass to a 30-yard screamer into the top corner"

I took the football quiz and it said that I don't know what a false 9 is because I didn't want to watch malmo vs whatever.

Firstly it was originally invented in the 1930s by switzerland but got popular in italy in the 60s.

Funnily enough, I am a big football hipster though and know loads about football history.
Original post by jam278
I took the football quiz and it said that I don't know what a false 9 is because I didn't want to watch malmo vs whatever.

Firstly it was originally invented in the 1930s by switzerland but got popular in italy in the 60s.

Funnily enough, I am a big football hipster though and know loads about football history.

Österreich.

Understandable, if I was a Chelsea fan I'd go looking for history everywhere I could find it.
Original post by Zürich
Österreich.

Understandable, if I was a Chelsea fan I'd go looking for history everywhere I could find it.

Na, was made by an austrian coach though but when he was in charge of Switzerland was when it got big.

Na, it's more down to my character, I like to look at past events and use that to predict the future.
Original post by jam278
Na, was made by an austrian coach though but when he was in charge of Switzerland was when it got big.

Na, it's more down to my character, I like to look at past events and use that to predict the future.

Matthias Sindelar played as a false 9 for Austria at the 1934 world cup. and in a famous friendly vs England in 1932.

At least according to Jonaton Wilson/ :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Matthias Sindelar played as a false 9 for Austria at the 1934 world cup.

Oh na I was talking about Catenaccio not about false 9 there sorry.

Interesting though didn't realise that.
Original post by jam278
Oh na I was talking about Catenaccio not about false 9 there sorry.

Interesting though didn't realise that.

Ah fair enough, read abit about that Swiss team too.
On that Austria team:
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/apr/22/world-cup-stunning-moments-austria-wunderteam

Yeah it is all great stuff.

'Inverting the pyramid' from Jonathan Wilson is a superb book to read on the beach this summer mate, really traces the history of tactics since the year dot :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Man this is actually the hardest tune on road. **** me this tune is on repeat.

Since I'm not used to the CL qualifiers, will this tune get played in august for you guys?
(edited 9 years ago)
Apparently Fabregas may want to move back to Arsenal. It might just be transfer BS but a midfield of Fabregas, Ozil, Ramsey, Cazorla, Wilshire, Flamini would be ridiculously good :|
Original post by jam278
Aguero and Henry aren't really too far apart from each other tbf.

I can see the arguments for each person.

Henry has won everything there is to win in club & international football, had been consistently world class for a decade, spearheaded the attack of the greatest ever team in the PL era, and had the ability to both create goals and score goals from either flank, as a striker or as a center forward. You are talking about one of the most intelligent and most complete players to ever grace the Premier League and comparing him to an injury-prone, bit-part player who has yet to achieve anything Henry did. Compare him to Henry after 5 or so years and I guarantee you this will not even be up for debate.

As for Vela over Pires, lol, Pires in his prime was regarded as probably one of the best natural wingers in the world. There was a reason Madrid wanted him before Figo.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5378
Original post by jam278

Man this is actually the hardest tune on road. **** me this tune is on repeat.

Since I'm not used to the CL qualifiers, will this tune get played in august for you guys?

Didn't you say that you only started watching football around 09? Only way to explain a lot of the ridiculous stuff you've been saying lately.
Original post by 419
Didn't you say that you only started watching football around 09? Only way to explain a lot of the ridiculous stuff you've been saying lately.

You're trying so hard to bait. Read my post in the Chelsea thread.

Latest