The Student Room Group

UKIP came 8th and lost the European elections. What earthquake?

You have seen and heard the line. 'UKIP set to win the European elections'. Every other UK news broadcaster and paper is reporting it. But they are just adding to the problem of complete ignorance to the EU parliament election. Leaving me having to constantly explain to my friends and family why voting say the Liberal Democrats or Greens is not pointless. People should vote whatever party, unlike the UK general election the share of seats will more or likely reflect the share of votes thanks to the proportional voting system. But the 'UKIP earthquake' will be nothing but a gentle breeze in EU politics. But I guess reporting they will have less influence than Greens and even the Far left doesn't make an interesting headline.

European Parties are made up of national parties from at least 7 member states. The results:

Note: David Cameron pulled the Conservatives out of the EPP (members include Angela Merkels Christians Conservatives). So only voters in London can vote for EPP.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Spot on it is like the SNP claiming to have won the British general election. But the truth is the British media is in love UKP since they make their job so easy. No need to visit the mainland and report EU policy. In many ways it patronises the general public.
Reply 2
It doesn't matter what the overall results in Europe.

This election is shame. The party most likely to win is the EPP.
In Britain what party is apart of the EPP? The Tories left this group and joined the ECR.

The overall results also don't matter because I tell you who will win.
The European Commission.
So long as UKIP end up forming a pact with the Tories next spring because of this, I don't really care.
What on earth are you on about?

If UKIP get the most votes, they win, as in, they beat all their opponents.

Nobody in their right mind thinks UKIP will have complete control of the EU should they win tonight.
Reply 5
Original post by billydisco
So long as UKIP end up forming a pact with the Tories next spring because of this, I don't really care.

The heck makes you thinkwe want UKIP? I'd sooner prefer a pact with Lib Dem again than with such a moronic, populist party.
Original post by CJKay
The heck makes you thinkwe want UKIP? I'd sooner prefer a pact with Lib Dem again than with such a moronic, populist party.

I didnt say Tories WANT UKIP, I am saying they NEED UKIP because UKIP are clearly stealing Tory votes. There will need to be a pact where UKIP stands in for the Tories in Labour strongholds and Tories stand in (with no UKIP) in the Tory heartlands (south east).
(edited 9 years ago)
I didnt say Tories WANT UKIP, I am saying they NEED UKIP because UKIP are clearly stealing Tory votes. There will need to be a pact where UKIP stands in for the Tories in Labour strongholds and Tories stand in (with no UKIP) in the Tory heartlands (south east).

Actually, if they joined the tories they would lose most of their support. Most Ukippers are actually more left wing than the conservatives and the lib dems. See the link below.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/16/ukip-divided-left-right-cut-labour-support

Then again, clearly this just shows Ukippers have no idea what their party stands for...
Original post by Bulbasaur
Actually, if they joined the tories they would lose most of their support. Most Ukippers are actually more left wing than the conservatives and the lib dems. See the link below.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/16/ukip-divided-left-right-cut-labour-support

Then again, clearly this just shows Ukippers have no idea what their party stands for...

There's a flaw in your logic- you assume most Ukippers identify themselves as right-wing.....
There's a flaw in your logic- you assume most Ukippers identify themselves as right-wing.....

if they don't they don't know much about UKIP or politics. UKIP are as right wing as they come.
Reply 10

I think I can safely say many of us would prefer a sole Labour government than a coalition with UKIP.
Original post by CJKay
I think I can safely say many of us would prefer a sole Labour government than a coalition with UKIP.

Do you enjoy recessions and low-skilled Eastern Europeans overcrowding our country, whilst being denied a referendum on the EU? You're weird.....
Reply 12
Do you enjoy recessions and low-skilled Eastern Europeans overcrowding our country, whilst being denied a referendum on the EU? You're weird.....

I don't reckon leaving the EU is going to do us any better.
Original post by CJKay
I don't reckon leaving the EU is going to do us any better.

So your attitude is do nothing ? Your attitude is we cannot do better for ourselves ? You're spineless
Reply 14
Original post by Green Marble
So your attitude is do nothing ? Your attitude is we cannot do better for ourselves ? You're spineless

Right, because the only possible opinion I could have is bound to a particular party's.
Original post by CJKay
Right, because the only possible opinion I could have is bound to a particular party's.

Yes obviously
Reply 16
Original post by TheBritishArmy
What on earth are you on about?

If UKIP get the most votes, they win, as in, they beat all their opponents.

Nobody in their right mind thinks UKIP will have complete control of the EU should they win tonight.
Labour top the poll in Scotland in the general election, did they win the British election? no. This is a European election to elect MEPs. UKIPs Euro party are smaller than the Liberals!
OP is looking mighty wrong right now :biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
OP is looking mighty wrong right now :biggrin:

Did you read the thread title and not OP's actual post?

UKIP are part of a Eurosceptic bloc (EFD) that in the previous European election, won 32 seats. This time round, with early official projections, they are set to win 33 seats.

OP is exactly right. What 'UKIP' earthquake? Sells paper though, innit.
Original post by goape
Did you read the thread title and not OP's actual post?

UKIP are part of a Eurosceptic bloc (EFD) that in the previous European election, won 32 seats. This time round, with early official projections, they are set to win 33 seats.

OP is exactly right. What 'UKIP' earthquake? Sells paper though, innit.

I'm not sure if he got reelected but there is UKIP Mep that goes for no affiliation as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending