The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by little_tom
That doesn't make any sense. What I was trying to say is that its pointless comparing a player in his third season in the PL to a legend that dominated it for 7 consecutive seasons. Until he reaches that level of consistency its not even worth debating.

Ok then. What I'd say firstly is that Arsenal had a better set up than this current City team which I think is tailored between individuals and without any one of those individuals their play is completely flat, you know the players I'm talking about. While I feel that Arsenal were set up much better than the City team.
Henry won the World Cup playing out wide, was converted into a striker where he scored 226 goals and assisted 92 others, and then moved to Barcelona where he played out wide again and scored 19 & 26 goals in his first two seasons. I have yet to see Aguero even start out wide.

So why are you using Henry being able to create and score out wide as part of an argument when Aguero doesn't play out wide and hasn't been made to start out wide by his managers? There was no need to put that in your point as to why Aguero isn't at Henry's level. Aguero currently is a top player, I can see him getting top goalscorer next season for sure.
Original post by 419
Different era

Era not same

#signs

I guess we need people to score 60 goals a season then?
Original post by manchesterunited15
I was clearly saying that your mental state is affecting your ability to not be rude to everyone, rather than your ability to argue,.as shown by the phrase "having a go at everyone" preceding the comment about you having a bad day

Maybe so, but I still believe that's still part of my argument and is still clearly a personal attack that was pretty unwarranted imo.

Original post by yaboy hates you
Got a warning message, guess that's me boys

Gotta say it's been surprisingly entertaining today, would of liked to have stayed longer but you know when the clocks up it's up.

ciao

Time will tell, but you will get raped (unjustly) for this comment.

:rofl:

Original post by Setsuna
Henry is better at taking free kicks

I know, because Aguero takes the majority of free kicks for City?
Reply 5403
Original post by baconbutty
Yea exactly there's better teams and far more money in the league now aguero probably deserves more credit

Don't know what money has to do with when comparing individuals but, defensibly the league is ****. Defensively, current football is basic level to what it was during Henry's era. Henry would be scoring much more. Ronaldo was barely scoring 30 goals in La liga. The greatest striker in recent time is average compared to Messi's and Ronaldo's record.

But obviously taking that into context doesn't help with your antiArsenal circlejerk.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 419
Don't know what money has to do with when comparing individuals but, defensibly the league is ****. Defensively, current football is basic level to what it was during Henry's era. Henry would be scoring much more. Ronaldo was barely scoring 30 goals in La liga. The greatest striker in recent time is average compared to Messi's and Ronaldo's record.

But obviously, that doesn't help with your Arsenal circlejerk.

How do you know the league is defensively worse right now than In Henry's time.......I could easily say the attackers are better now

And the money part obviously means the league is stronger because everyone can afford to strengthen easily......
Original post by jam278
Maybe so, but I still believe that's still part of my argument and is still clearly a personal attack that was pretty unwarranted imo.

I see. Well you calling me a troll was also an unwarranted personal attack so I guess we're even.
Original post by jam278
Ok then. What I'd say firstly is that Arsenal had a better set up than this current City team which I think is tailored between individuals and without any one of those individuals their play is completely flat, you know the players I'm talking about. While I feel that Arsenal were set up much better than the City team.

meh, you're making it out as if Aguero plays for Crystal Palace, he has enough players around him to get the best out of him, regardless if certain people are involved in the squad or not

point still stands about the consistency, Baconbutty just quoted the inevitable "aguero has the best minutes to goals ratio in the Premier League" forgetting that one has over 250 Premier League appearances whilst the other has less than 100

So why are you using Henry being able to create and score out wide as part of an argument when Aguero doesn't play out wide and hasn't been made to start out wide by his managers? There was no need to put that in your point as to why Aguero isn't at Henry's level. Aguero currently is a top player, I can see him getting top goalscorer next season for sure.

Because it shows that he's intelligent, versatile and can play anywhere?
Don't get this **** about Vela. he failed before, we need a Cavani or a Falcao, not him. Then again, if as a squad player maybe but NOT our main striker.
Reply 5408
How do you know the league is defensively worse right now than In Henry's time.......I could easily say the attackers are better now

And the money part obviously means the league is stronger because everyone can afford to strengthen easily......

It's called eye test analysis. It's not even an original statement. Everyone that watched football during those era knows the quality of defences has diminished and isn't even comparable.

Don't know how to state any clearer than that.

Your point about money still doesn't hold ground when quality of players teams are buying are of lower standard, and it''s not like money has never dominated football.

I really feel for you people if you can't fail to appreciate that football pre2006-8 is of a much more higher standard than it is at the current level.

Really need to get off this site.
(edited 9 years ago)

beautiful

he's a dope..... Only says **** to be controversial or look cool and edgy... Proves how fickle we Gooners are, he of most celebrity fans was calling for Arsene to be sacked over the past few years, but yeah, it's five days without a trophy, so sack him, too long without a trophy....
Original post by jam278

I know, because Aguero takes the majority of free kicks for City?

There must be a reason why he is not first choice free kick taker. As in the pick first choice taker based on performance at training.
Original post by Setsuna
There must be a reason why he is not first choice free kick taker. As in the pick first choice taker based on performance at training.

But perhaps there was no one of Yaya's (I think he's first choice) quality for Arsenal when Henry was there so it's an unfair comparison.
Original post by little_tom
meh, you're making it out as if Aguero plays for Crystal Palace, he has enough players around him to get the best out of him, regardless if certain people are involved in the squad or not

point still stands about the consistency, Baconbutty just quoted the inevitable "aguero has the best minutes to goals ratio in the Premier League" forgetting that one has over 250 Premier League appearances whilst the other has less than 100

Yeah that's true but it's a problem that City have generally had. They're a team that are more based on the parts of the machine than the actual.machine. While you could probably get any old player in say Atlético make then work hard and they'll do a good job for you(see Adrian e.g.)

Well Aguero was getting a goal a game this season but we'll wait for a few more seasons.

Because it shows that he's intelligent, versatile and can play anywhere?

Basically what I'm saying is that when you don't make somebody play in a position, how can you make judgements on that guys character and how good he is in that position?

You've seen many a time a player changing their position according to age/tactics and adapting it well. Gerrard, Sturridge, Mata, Silva all changing their positions to where they used to be playing the past few years and for the most part have shown they're capable of doing a good job there.
Original post by 419
It's called eye test analysis. It's not even an original statement. Everyone that watched football during those era knows the quality of defences has diminished and isn't even comparable.

Don't know how to state any clearer than that.

Your point about money still doesn't hold ground when quality of players teams are buying are of lower standard, and it''s not like money has never dominated football.

I really feel for you people if you can't fail to appreciate that football pre2006-8 is of a much more higher standard than it is at the current level.

Really need to get off this site.

Oh so you've completely made it up

Something like that would be so hard to measure and if you think I'm going off anyone on this sites memory you can think again. You would of bin about 9 years old so before you spew more bull**** think about what you're saying or me and you might have a serious problem
But perhaps there was no one of Yaya's (I think he's first choice) quality for Arsenal when Henry was there so it's an unfair comparison.

As you sure yaya is first choice? Maybe when it is direct and close to goal, but silva takes the set piece ones?
Original post by Setsuna
As you sure yaya is first choice? Maybe when it is direct and close to goal, but silva takes the set piece ones?

I'm not sure really, I just remember Yaya scoring quite a few
Reply 5416
Oh so you've completely made it up

Something like that would be so hard to measure and if you think I'm going off anyone on this sites memory you can think again. You would of bin about 9 years old so before you spew more bull**** think about what you're saying or me and you might have a serious problem

It really isn't that hard to measure. The preferred formation is a major clue.

I hate gramar nazis but seriously would HAVE
Original post by Setsuna

Anywhere near the goal and not too far to the right, Yaya takes em.

I've not seen anyone else score 10/13 free kicks they've taken so I'll take a leap of faith and say he has better free kicks than Henry.
Original post by 419
It really isn't that hard to measure. The preferred formation is a major clue.

I hate gramar nazis but seriously would HAVE

Stop talking rubbish provide me with some statistical data and then we'll start talking

You know I'm an arsenal fan and id always be the first guy in line to praise Henry but I'd take Aguero over him all day long
Original post by jam278
Yeah that's true but it's a problem that City have generally had. They're a team that are more based on the parts of the machine than the actual.machine. While you could probably get any old player in say Atlético make then work hard and they'll do a good job for you(see Adrian e.g.)

Well Aguero was getting a goal a game this season but we'll wait for a few more seasons.

You could apply that logic to any team. Every team that is built has a core of players that when absent, has an impact on the performance of the team as a whole. It applies to Arsenal back then, Arsenal now, City back then and City now. You look at some of our European performances away from home during the early 2000s without Bergkamp and you could see how much of a struggle it was to win those games.

Basically what I'm saying is that when you don't make somebody play in a position, how can you make judgements on that guys character and how good he is in that position?

You've seen many a time a player changing their position according to age/tactics and adapting it well. Gerrard, Sturridge, Mata, Silva all changing their positions to where they used to be playing the past few years and for the most part have shown they're capable of doing a good job there.

That goes back to my original point that its pointless comparing the two players now, when one hasn't even finished his career yet. If he plays out wide in the future and does a better job than Henry, fair enough, you could call him a complete player, but right now? Its silly to make assertions of what he could do.

Latest