The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 419
It really isn't that hard to measure. The preferred formation is a major clue.

Personally think that's more compensation for the fact every club seems to send their full backs forward all the times.

You're doing modern day defenders a massive injustice, and it's disgusting. Shame on you.
Reply 5421
Original post by baconbutty
Stop talking rubbish provide me with some statistical data and then we'll start talking

You know I'm an arsenal fan and id always be the first guy in line to praise Henry but I'd take Aguero over him all day long

What makes you think igaf about proving something to you?

Weird person.
Stop talking rubbish provide me with some statistical data and then we'll start talking

You know I'm an arsenal fan
and id always be the first guy in line to praise Henry but I'd take Aguero over him all day long

u wot?

Mind = Blown.
How do you know the league is defensively worse right now than In Henry's time.......I could easily say the attackers are better now

And the money part obviously means the league is stronger because everyone can afford to strengthen easily......

There's more money but that doesn't mean there's more talent. Talent is very hard to quantify in monetary terms. You also have a lot of wealthy clubs that have collectively ****ed the structure of the transfer market and inflated the prices of players which isn't representative of the talent that is supposedly being bought. Besides, the Premier League was rich enough in the era we're comparing. If you were comparing 2000-2006 to 1980-1986 you would have a point, but we're not.
Original post by 419
What makes you think igaf about proving something to you?

Weird person.

I've absolutely dominated you
Reply 5425
Original post by little_tom
There's more money but that doesn't mean there's more talent. Talent is very hard to quantify in monetary terms. You also have a lot of wealthy clubs that have collectively ****ed the structure of the transfer market and inflated the prices of players which isn't representative of the talent that is supposedly being bought. Besides, the Premier League was rich enough in the era we're comparing. If you were comparing 2000-2006 to 1980-1986 you would have a point, but we're not.

You'd think that stating this would be stating the obvious. But when it comes to the anti arsenal circle jerk, sense get lost. The little of it he has left.
Football pre 06-08 for england probably was of a higher level, but when you consider the players playing at the time for the english clubs and that there is a current rebuilding phase that's what you'll get weaker players. If strikers are scoring more nowadays because of the weaker defenders it's a case of you're only as good as the last opponent you face.

I'd also like to add that Barcelona are partially the reason why defences have weakened. While I wouldn't go as far to say people try to copy barca, most english teams have gone from pretty defensive humdrum styles of play when people in the prem first started using 3 man midfields(even United used it in 2008 and Chelsea started the 3 man midfield popularity in england) to more attacking styles of play post 2010 which has also coincided with barca's best period in their history(no coincidence here) and due to that you now see teams more attacking based and looking at possession football more. Be it Chelsea, even United.

The reason the standard of defending has slipped is partially because teams are more willing to attack the opposition too. There's also the case of Madrid and Barca basically taking key players off the english clubs around 2009-2011 period which has made the league at the top worse, then there's the other case of Chelsea who didn't replace the old people with youth so had to transition from the old guard to the youngsters in the space of 1/2 seasons. So I believe that all the clubs have had major surgery the past few years or are in the process of having major surgery.
It's depressin knowin it's a student night somewhere and there's a team of lads on the football section on tsr isn't it

What id give to be out on the town with the lads sniffin plant fertiliser right now
It's depressin knowin it's a student night somewhere and there's a team of lads on the football section on tsr isn't it

What id give to be out on the town with the lads sniffin plant fertiliser right now

I hear you man.

Don't you have exams?
Reply 5430
I've absolutely dominated you

Hope it helps you with your life issues.
Original post by yaboy hates you
Don't you have exams?

I quit uni ages ago I respect a man that can knuckle down at uni but I've only got the motivation to go out

Out of my group of mates there about 20 of us only 3 made it on to second year

Some people say it's dumb but when the penny drops you just can't put a price on memories with the lads can you
I quit uni ages ago I respect a man that can knuckle down at uni but I've only got the motivation to go out

Out of my group of mates there about 20 of us only 3 made it on to second year

Some people say it's dumb but when the penny drops you just can't put a price on memories with the lads can you

Education in Uni is tough, don't blame anyone if they leave or call it quits.

At least you aren't gay doing this crap

nomsayin?
(edited 9 years ago)

nomsayin?

Lol'ed so hard at this

nomsayin?

:rofl:

I'm dead fam. That final picture had me in tears.

nomsayin?

Lmao
Yep, looks like it'll be thread number 20 before the start of the season
Reply 5437
Draxler can actually be developed into a striker. The problem is his price, £37m is way too much
Original post by SHOO
Draxler can actually be developed into a striker. The problem is his price, £37m is way too much

The other problem is we can't afford to take the risk of "converting " players from one position to another, especially given next season having 7 teams aiming for top 4. We need all players hitting the ground running and besides Wenger still hasn't converted Walcott into a Striker so what makes you think he would Draxler anytime soon?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd rather get vela over draxler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest