The Student Room Group

Anyone applying for Dietetics 2014?

Scroll to see replies

Oh so you'll definitely be there next year nice. I think I will be firming Nottingham with Dietetics and may be Kings with nutrition as insurance. I got an offer from Robert Gordon for dietetics but their conditions are higher than Nottingham's so I think it is pointless to choose them as insurance. What do you think :d

Original post by Andriana.P
Hi I got an offer for dietetics in Nottingham. Where are you goingo to live - Sutton Bonington or UP ?
Original post by hunter101
i've firmed it, yes!!

Awesome!! :smile: will you be getting accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alphashadows
Awesome!! :smile: will you be getting accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes i've applied for that.. chose linksfield, rosemount, spring gardens, mealmarket, crathie and ramsey. you?
Reply 223
Original post by dieteticsguy
Yeah that's what I've seen too. Ah cool haha yeah hopefully we both make it, good luck with your exams! :smile:

you too!! :biggrin:
Reply 224
I'm coming to Nottingham too! Unconditional so I'll be there waiting for you guys ^^
Good luck with your exams. Can't wait to get started.
Reply 225
Original post by ajarman
I'm coming to Nottingham too! Unconditional so I'll be there waiting for you guys ^^
Good luck with your exams. Can't wait to get started.

Can't wait to begin! See you there :biggrin:
Original post by i'mlaura
I got all my offers and put Plymouth down as my firm for Dietetics! :smile:

Hey! I've just finished my first year of dietetics at Plymouth. You're going to have an AMAZING time!! I wish I could do it all over again.

If you have any questions about anything feel free to ask!
That goes for everyone too who has general concerns over first year dietetics. Just relax, enjoy and DO NOT PANIC!
Original post by iamvick
Hey! I've just finished my first year of dietetics at Plymouth. You're going to have an AMAZING time!! I wish I could do it all over again.

That goes for everyone too who has general concerns over first year dietetics. Just relax, enjoy and DO NOT PANIC!

Aw thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to starting the course looks great! :smile:

How did you find the biochemistry unit because I heard that was meant to be really difficult?
Original post by iamvick

I am really pleased to hear you enjoyed your first year! Could you please tell me a little about your timetable and how many hours you think it is feasible to work alongside the course? Thank you!!
Aw thanks so much! I'm really looking forward to starting the course looks great! :smile:

How did you find the biochemistry unit because I heard that was meant to be really difficult?

I'm glad you're looking forward to it! :biggrin:

Biochem at first seemed really difficult - We had a specific textbook (which will probably be the same for you too, it was David, A. Bender 'Introduction to Nutrition and Metabolism) which we used. When you first look at that book at the start of the module you will be like WHHHHHHHHHHHHHAT!? :eek: But the important thing is to not panic!! As you go through the lectures with Robyn (I'm guessing you'll have the same guy as us) everything falls into place and things start coming together. We had a revision session at the end (most units do) and that's when everything really made sense.
I thought I was going to be screwed with biochem but I've just got a first in it so don't worry. Just pay attention in lectures and make sure you go them all otherwise playing catch-up can be difficult!
Original post by Zoe_333
I am really pleased to hear you enjoyed your first year! Could you please tell me a little about your timetable and how many hours you think it is feasible to work alongside the course? Thank you!!

To begin with our timetable was quite busy compared to most normal courses. Some days would be 9am-4pm and others were 2pm-6pm. We would rarely have a day off apart from 1 odd day up until Christmas time. Also, I can't speak for all Uni timetables, but our weeks were never on a repeated pattern at all. Some weeks would be completely different hours and times to others so there was no regularity.
After Christmas, as some modules were already completed, we had a lot more days off or when we were in it could just be 2-4 hours and that's it. Also our schedule became a lot more consistent with regular times for certain modules.

I would advise you to try and think of Uni as your job in the fact that 9-5pm should be dedicated to your work and learning. However, this isn't so important in the first year (I know I shouldn't be saying that but it's true). You can get away with working more in first year.

Some people on my course worked 18-25 hours a week still but they found it hard and in the end they would be the ones to start slacking off and missing lectures. I would say part-time weekend work would be the best for doing work with one or two mid-week/evening shifts as long as the work is flexible.

The nice thing about first year is that because it ultimately doesn't count towards your final grade you can try different work/uni work combinations out and see what works best for you.
Original post by iamvick
To begin with our timetable was quite busy compared to most normal courses. Some days would be 9am-4pm and others were 2pm-6pm. We would rarely have a day off apart from 1 odd day up until Christmas time. Also, I can't speak for all Uni timetables, but our weeks were never on a repeated pattern at all. Some weeks would be completely different hours and times to others so there was no regularity.
After Christmas, as some modules were already completed, we had a lot more days off or when we were in it could just be 2-4 hours and that's it. Also our schedule became a lot more consistent with regular times for certain modules.

I would advise you to try and think of Uni as your job in the fact that 9-5pm should be dedicated to your work and learning. However, this isn't so important in the first year (I know I shouldn't be saying that but it's true). You can get away with working more in first year.

Some people on my course worked 18-25 hours a week still but they found it hard and in the end they would be the ones to start slacking off and missing lectures. I would say part-time weekend work would be the best for doing work with one or two mid-week/evening shifts as long as the work is flexible.

The nice thing about first year is that because it ultimately doesn't count towards your final grade you can try different work/uni work combinations out and see what works best for you.

Thanks for all the advice (I read both comments about Plymouth) :smile:

How do they test you then the first year?

Is it a big leap from A-levels?

Is it awkward that the course is a mixture of older and younger students?

Do you get weekends off?
Original post by iamvick
I'm glad you're looking forward to it! :biggrin:

Biochem at first seemed really difficult - We had a specific textbook (which will probably be the same for you too, it was David, A. Bender 'Introduction to Nutrition and Metabolism) which we used. When you first look at that book at the start of the module you will be like WHHHHHHHHHHHHHAT!? :eek: But the important thing is to not panic!! As you go through the lectures with Robyn (I'm guessing you'll have the same guy as us) everything falls into place and things start coming together. We had a revision session at the end (most units do) and that's when everything really made sense.
I thought I was going to be screwed with biochem but I've just got a first in it so don't worry. Just pay attention in lectures and make sure you go them all otherwise playing catch-up can be difficult!

Sorry for all the questions, what about joining sports clubs as well? Do you get Wednesday afternoon off for that, how does it work?
Thanks for all the advice (I read both comments about Plymouth) :smile:

1. How do they test you then the first year?

2. Is it a big leap from A-levels?

3. Is it awkward that the course is a mixture of older and younger students?

4. Do you get weekends off?

5. what about joining sports clubs as well? Do you get Wednesday afternoon off for that, how does it work?

1. First year is a mixture of exams, assignments and lab reports. Absolutely everything will be explained in full detail before you're asked to do anything. In the 'Human nutrition & food studies' module you also complete a workbook which is seriously fun to do. You assess your own diet in terms of nutritional content and do comparisons within the class about things such as portion size. It's basically as it sounds - a book of questions and tables that you will work through as a class

2. I can't really answer this as I did an access course to get to Uni. However, I found the step up really quite an easy transition - there's a lot of overlap of things you will have done and some things are quite common sense! There's so much help and support at the Uni as well through different services - you'll find support for almost anything you're worried about such as exams, how to write reports, how to write assignments etc. there's also groups about learning to cope with stress etc. too!

3. Absolutely not! Having a mixture of ages is awesome. We've got people aged 18-46 and absolutely everyone gets on. Different people contribute different things and everyone is there for the same reason so it works really well. I'm 22 and get on really well with the people in their 40s and teens! The only thing that is is that there's not many guys. Out of 37 in my year only 4 are guys which is a shame!

4. Yup! Weekends off - you'll never have lectures on a weekend.

5. Yes you'll always have Wednesday afternoons off. However it's mainly only the top teams that actually have matches on Wednesdays. I play netball but I play just casually and my training is on Sunday with matches on Saturdays. I always try to pop along to the girls matches though on Wednesdays. There's so many sports clubs that you can choose from too! Just make sure you come along to the sports and societies fair - it will be advertised loads during freshers week - it's usually a week or two after freshers.

:smile:
Original post by iamvick
1. First year is a mixture of exams, assignments and lab reports. Absolutely everything will be explained in full detail before you're asked to do anything. In the 'Human nutrition & food studies' module you also complete a workbook which is seriously fun to do. You assess your own diet in terms of nutritional content and do comparisons within the class about things such as portion size. It's basically as it sounds - a book of questions and tables that you will work through as a class

2. I can't really answer this as I did an access course to get to Uni. However, I found the step up really quite an easy transition - there's a lot of overlap of things you will have done and some things are quite common sense! There's so much help and support at the Uni as well through different services - you'll find support for almost anything you're worried about such as exams, how to write reports, how to write assignments etc. there's also groups about learning to cope with stress etc. too!

3. Absolutely not! Having a mixture of ages is awesome. We've got people aged 18-46 and absolutely everyone gets on. Different people contribute different things and everyone is there for the same reason so it works really well. I'm 22 and get on really well with the people in their 40s and teens! The only thing that is is that there's not many guys. Out of 37 in my year only 4 are guys which is a shame!

4. Yup! Weekends off - you'll never have lectures on a weekend.

5. Yes you'll always have Wednesday afternoons off. However it's mainly only the top teams that actually have matches on Wednesdays. I play netball but I play just casually and my training is on Sunday with matches on Saturdays. I always try to pop along to the girls matches though on Wednesdays. There's so many sports clubs that you can choose from too! Just make sure you come along to the sports and societies fair - it will be advertised loads during freshers week - it's usually a week or two after freshers.

:smile:

Thanks so much for the long reply, I'm so excited it sounds great! Just need to make sure I get my grades now, (still 3 weeks left of exams :frown: ).
Thanks so much for the long reply, I'm so excited it sounds great! Just need to make sure I get my grades now, (still 3 weeks left of exams :frown: ).

It's no problem at all lovely :smile: Ahhhhh good luck!! I am sure you will go amazingly and I'll see you in September! :biggrin:
Original post by iamvick

That's is hugely helpful. Thank you so much for all the information! Have you completed your first placement? If so how did you find it?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, I hope so! :biggrin:
Reply 238
Hey Guys, I'm new to the site, even though i've been keeping my eye on this thread for a while!

I have firmed Coventry University for Dietetics as my first choice, was wondering if anyone else had applied/firmed there?

Also a general question, does anyone know the likelihood of getting in if I'm a grade below what they have asked me for? or does it literally depend on university etc?

Thanks!
Original post by Zoe_333
That's is hugely helpful. Thank you so much for all the information! Have you completed your first placement? If so how did you find it?

No problem! I haven't actually done mine yet, our placements could have been anywhere from May 27th- August 24th.

Mine starts on the 4th of August and I'm going to RUH in Bath. My coursemates who have done there's/are doing there's are absolutely loving it though and are just excited that this is going to be their full time job in 2 years time (hopefully!). First year placement is really mainly just shadowing and learning. 2nd year is when we'll all start getting our patients to poke about with! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest