The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5440
Original post by Doppelgänger
The other problem is we can't afford to take the risk of "converting " players from one position to another, especially given next season having 7 teams aiming for top 4. We need all players hitting the ground running and besides Wenger still hasn't converted Walcott into a Striker so what makes you think he would Draxler anytime soon?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thing is, I'm really drawn into this possible return of Fabregas, and was weighing up what would be more of a sacrifice.. Not buying a striker or not buying an established CDM. But having said that, we do need a pacey left winger because for some reason, Wenger doesn't play Ox there :/ if Wenger can move Ox to the left then we'll have the pace that ozil needs to shine (Walcott + Ox on the wings).

I'm just really curious about what Wenger will do in the market, he won't do anything expected- he'll completely defy the norm, and do something bizzare. I just hope that it bizzarly works out
(edited 9 years ago)
What happens if we blow away most of our budget on Fabregas? We'll be in the same position next year crumbling at the big away games because we don't have that solid steel in CDM. Again next year we'll be saying " if we just sign a + b" we can win the league but we'll end up signing " c + d " on players we don't need. He might be worth 35m but there's no reason for us to go for that amount. We already have Ramsey who is on the verge of being a much better player than Fabregas.
Original post by SHOO
Thing is, I'm really drawn into this possible return of Fabregas, and was weighing up what would be more of a sacrifice.. Not buying a striker or not buying an established CDM. But having said that, we do need a pacey left winger because for some reason, Wenger doesn't play Ox there :/ if Wenger can move Ox to the left then we'll have the pace that ozil needs to shine (Walcott + Ox on the wings).

I'm just really curious about what Wenger will do in the market, he won't do anything expected- he'll completely defy the norm, and do something bizzare. I just hope that it bizzarly works out

Rambo & Fabregas double pivot :coma: As much as I want a big scary 6'3+ animal in the midfield to **** **** up, I love Cesc and would move heaven and earth to get him back!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
What happens if we blow away most of our budget on Fabregas? We'll be in the same position next year crumbling at the big away games because we don't have that solid steel in CDM. Again next year we'll be saying " if we just sign a + b" we can win the league but we'll end up signing " c + d " on players we don't need. He might be worth 35m but there's no reason for us to go for that amount. We already have Ramsey who is on the verge of being a much better player than Fabregas.

We have so much more money than the club are saying. The AST went over the books and claimed we have £130m that could be spent on transfers alone (not including wages/agent fees)

We are minted ffs, about time we showed it rather than stockpiling it for Kroenke.

Plus we need depth, because for all of this talk about our midfield being stacked, it's not, we constantly get injures so need as much quality depth there as possible. We could afford Cesc and a DM, RB,GK, CB , ST and even a LW if we wanted to spend that kind of cash. To incorporate the likes of Rambo, Ozil and Cesc (if he were to come back) and a DM we'd have to change formation and possibly not even need to purchase a new LW.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peggles_*
We have so much more money than the club are saying. The AST went over the books and claimed we have £130m that could be spent on transfers alone (not including wages/agent fees)

We are minted ffs, about time we showed it rather than stockpiling it for Kroenke.

Plus we need depth, because for all of this talk about our midfield being stacked, it's not, we constantly get injures so need as much quality depth there as possible. We could afford Cesc and a DM, RB,GK, CB , ST and even a LW if we wanted to spend that kind of cash. To incorporate the likes of Rambo, Ozil and Cesc (if he were to come back) and a DM we'd have to change formation and possibly not even need to purchase a new LW.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you talking about? We all know Wenger has full control of transfers. It's about time people start sticking up for Kroenke. He's a good owner.
Original post by shawn_o1
Yep, looks like it'll be thread number 20 before the start of the season

I doubt it tbh. Think we can stretch it to thread 21.
Original post by sevchenko
What are you talking about? We all know Wenger has full control of transfers. It's about time people start sticking up for Kroenke. He's a good owner.

Lool at Kroenke being a good owner, tell that to fans of The Nuggets and Rams!

He's is the type of owner who doesn't care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SHOO

Now is not the time to be making sacrifices and Fabregas is a luxury player we don't need. We've made a statement by signing Ozil, signing Cesc would be a mistake. Regard the Ox, Wenger has a long-term plan of converting the Ox into a midfielder so this is the next phase in his development not the left wing.

I'm hoping nothing bizarre happens. Sign Serge Aurier, Benzema, a defensive midfielder (Yaya aha) and one player who makes a name for themselves at the World Cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd still have Soldado, don't let this season fool you he's still a top striker.
Original post by Kruz
I'd still have Soldado, don't let this season fool you he's still a top striker.

Can't tell if serious?

Personally while I like him he's too slow, not the most amazing in the air and relies on width too much, his link up play is good but I think that's the Torres curse, you start looking at his attributes because he's been so **** and make it look like they've done a decent job. He'd fit Manchester United personally.
Original post by baconbutty
I quit uni ages ago I respect a man that can knuckle down at uni but I've only got the motivation to go out

Lease surprising thing you have posted in this forum so far..
Original post by fallen_acorns

Quite harsh and insensitive tbh.
Lool at Kroenke being a good owner, tell that to fans of The Nuggets and Rams!

He's is the type of owner who doesn't care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't follow American sport so I wouldn't know what going on with them.

What do you mean he doesn't care? He's obviously passionate about sport. Why else would he buy multiple sports teams?

He doesn't take an active role at Arsenal which I like. He leave the football to the football experts and doesn't get involved in things he doesn't understand. Look all around the league and the dodgy owners then you'll realise we have a good one who is committed to running Arsenal the sensible way, the Arsenal way.

Oh Lemme guess you want Usmanov to be our owner. He is literally Abramovich's best mate and they share the same less than reputable past. His money means nothing in a FFP environment. What angers me the most is that he want to take dividends out of Arsenal. Do you even know what that means? Do you realise that goes against everything Arsenal football club stand for?

I can proudly say Kroenke has never taken a single penny out of Arsenal. Something which nobody ever mentions. For that reason alone he's a good owner.
Original post by jam278
Quite harsh and insensitive tbh.

dw, the blunt/confrontational/harsh, style is what he claims to like, and that its 'to much for arsenal fans' so im sure he will be fine..
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes we are minted but do you honestly think we're going on a spending spree this summer? FFP still applies to us so if we spend around 35/40m on Fabregas I really don't see Wenger buying another player of around the same price. We need depth but we need a world class CDM more than a world class anything because it has been our weak spot this season, and adding another CM like Fabregas will only strengthen were we are already quite strong at but leave our weaknesses unattended to. Correct me if I'm wrong and that he is good at tracking back/playing a defensive role then I will take everything I've said back and happily accept him as a signing

LW + RB would have only cost around 10/12m for us what with Vela/Aurier however apparently Wenger isn't interested in Vela?
Original post by jam278
Can't tell if serious?

Personally while I like him he's too slow, not the most amazing in the air and relies on width too much, his link up play is good but I think that's the Torres curse, you start looking at his attributes because he's been so **** and make it look like they've done a decent job. He'd fit Manchester United personally.

Lol I'm being serious, Tottenham just didn't play to his strengths. If he was at Arsenal he would've bagged more than 15 goals this season. I don't care about his outside the box stuff, I just want him to finish.

Original post by fallen_acorns

loooooooooooooool :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
Yes we are minted but do you honestly think we're going on a spending spree this summer? FFP still applies to us so if we spend around 35/40m on Fabregas I really don't see Wenger buying another player of around the same price. We need depth but we need a world class CDM more than a world class anything because it has been our weak spot this season, and adding another CM like Fabregas will only strengthen were we are already quite strong at but leave our weaknesses unattended to. Correct me if I'm wrong and that he is good at tracking back/playing a defensive role then I will take everything I've said back and happily accept him as a signing

LW + RB would have only cost around 10/12m for us what with Vela/Aurier however apparently Wenger isn't interested in Vela?

Arsenal and Utd have the biggest stadiums and revenue streams so as long as we can limit spending to percentage of turnover, which is quit easy for us because of the first 2 points then FFP cant touch us. We don't have massive owner investment so there is no need to be worried, its the same reason why Utd can splash out £100m this year and not think about breaking any regulations.

We can potentially sign anyone we want bar the Ronaldos and Messis this summer. I would prefer to sort out our other priorities before looking at Fabregas though.
Reply 5457
Original post by Doppelgänger
Now is not the time to be making sacrifices and Fabregas is a luxury player we don't need. We've made a statement by signing Ozil, signing Cesc would be a mistake. Regard the Ox, Wenger has a long-term plan of converting the Ox into a midfielder so this is the next phase in his development not the left wing.

I'm hoping nothing bizarre happens. Sign Serge Aurier, Benzema, a defensive midfielder (Yaya aha) and one player who makes a name for themselves at the World Cup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As much as I want the benzema deal to go through, it seems like it won't happen. Madrid will not let him go unless they find a suitable replacement, or if they wanna go balls out on someone else and need the cash, and even then they'll probably sell Di Maria and not benzema.

Suarez does not look like he'll leave Liverpool so that defo can't initiate the benzema deal. Maybe if they get Manzukic? But then again we could get him too..

I think we can accommodate Fabregas for sure..
Reply 5458
Rambo & Fabregas double pivot :coma: As much as I want a big scary 6'3+ animal in the midfield to **** **** up, I love Cesc and would move heaven and earth to get him back!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I don't see why we wouldn't ever need cesc. I think he would do well playing a deeper role, converting defence into attack :P
Reply 5459
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Arsenal and Utd have the biggest stadiums and revenue streams so as long as we can limit spending to percentage of turnover, which is quit easy for us because of the first 2 points then FFP cant touch us. We don't have massive owner investment so there is no need to be worried, its the same reason why Utd can splash out £100m this year and not think about breaking any regulations.

We can potentially sign anyone we want bar the Ronaldos and Messis this summer. I would prefer to sort out our other priorities before looking at Fabregas though.

That's exactly what lord Harris said..

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/9321845/arsenal-director-lord-harris-of-peckham-insists-arsene-wenger-will-have-money-to-spend

We generate more than enough income to compensate and justify our spending, should we go on a ruthless spending spree that is
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest