The Student Room Group

Teaching about homosexuality in school?

So on This Morning earlier, Luke Alexander, 19, a homosexual and his advocate, Dr Ranj Ringh, were both talking about changing the school curriculum so that it includes advice about homosexuality.

Luke Alexander mentioned he was sexually active since 13/14 (2008-09) and was 'safe' at that time as he described it.

He mentioned when he turned 18 in 2013, he lost his job and claims this then caused him to go 'off the rails' - drinking and doing drugs and eventually he contracted H.I.V. through promiscuity.

He only discovered he had the disease after performing a test last summer at a sexual health clinic at Gay Pride.

He blames his lack of education on the matter at school on his contracting of H.I.V.

He has written to Michael Gove to ask him to make changes to the education of the issue in schools.

"Phillip Schofield asked him - 'What is it that you would you like to see changed in the sex education programme? What was it that you were not taught that would have persuaded you not to have unprotected sex'

'I haven't really thought about that. I don't know.' said Luke, oddly."

He says he didn't feel sex education classes catered for gay people.

Thoughts/opinions?

EDIT:
The video of the interview seems to be on the ITV Player, but here is an article which also appeared on it to give you the idea in a briefer summary.
https://uk.tv.yahoo.com/morning-school-taught-aids-155200138.html
It doesn't give every single detail of what was said, but you will get the idea.

It appears he also gave an interview on Radio 1 yesterday, details much the same:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/27477309
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well schools should, above all, teach the truth. Homosexuality is something that exists in society, so there is no reason why schools shouldn't teach about it during sex education. It also carries risks that it is sensible to teach young people about.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to blame his school for him getting HIV, but of course education should reflect reality.
I haven't seen the interview but I don't think you can use lack of education as an excuse. In his case, if he was having safe sex at 13-14 then he surely was educated about it and he was aware of the fact that he should use contraception. And if he's mentioned that his actions stemmed a result of personal losses and that he 'went of the rails' then I think this has more of a self-destructive element to it. People feel low and turn to other things which often provide instant gratification: he chose to be promiscuous while others might turn to drugs, alcohol etc. I think that it's interesting how we're taught the harmful effects of smoking / drugs / alcohol and still so many people choose to smoke and get pissed out of their wits (at least once a week). We're taught about contraception and teen pregnancies and yet so many young people get pregnant despite being financially, emotionally and mentally incapable of raising a child. In other words, people carry out actions in spite of knowing the damage that they may cause. Even if homosexuality was introduced to the syllabus, I don't think it would have prevented a case such as the said person's.
I don't know how old he is, but from the information you've given it's perfectly possible that not enough was known about HIV at the time - it didn't really become well-noticed until the late 1980s.
Reply 4
I'm against homosexuality so NEVER.
Reply 5
Yes it should be brought up in schools weather you against it or not.
I thought it was part of the syllabus? We learnt a lot about it at my school and that was over a decade ago.
It exists, and wil be relevant to at least two children in any given class, be it through themselves or a good friend or immediately relative. And those who it doesn't, they're less likely to be closed minded idiots if educated.
Reply 8
Original post by anarchism101
I don't know how old he is, but from the information you've given it's perfectly possible that not enough was known about HIV at the time - it didn't really become well-noticed until the late 1980s.

I have updated the original post as I have now found more details including the names of the individuals.

Just found out from elsewhere, he is 19 and was diagnosed 1 year ago - so plenty of information would have been available to him. (Updated the OP to reflect the newly found information).

In the interview they mention when discussing that in the 1980's there was more advertising against homosexuality, so even though it was negative it was informative at the same time.
(edited 9 years ago)
When I received sex education, Section 28 was still in force and homosexuality was a dirty word.

I really hope that sex education has improved since then. Kids should be taught about sexuality and should be taught about sexual health regardless of their sexual orientation.
Reply 10
Original post by Georgie_M
I thought it was part of the syllabus? We learnt a lot about it at my school and that was over a decade ago.

It's a bit patchy really, some schools mention it in sex education whereas others are still using material from the days of section 28.

Personally, I think that homosexuality should be talked about in sex ed - "some people like people of the same sex or indeed both sexes, and that's perfectly okay".
Reply 11
I remember we specifically had a talk by two gay guys who had contracted HIV who told us all about safe sex and the like, is it really that uncommon for people to have virtually no idea about safe sex?
Reply 12
Original post by Comus
It's a bit patchy really, some schools mention it in sex education whereas others are still using material from the days of section 28.

Personally, I think that homosexuality should be talked about in sex ed - "some people like people of the same sex or indeed both sexes, and that's perfectly okay".

Absolutely, there's no point taking the bigoted stance and moaning about the 'gay agenda' or that including homosexuality in sex ed is 'promoting homosexuality' (which it wouldn't be, it would simply be saying there is nothing wrong with being gay), and keep on pretending it doesn't exist. The reality is, it does exist, it always has done and always will do in society, so I think it is vital that this is included into the school curriculum, and it may go somewhat to eradicating the bullying of homosexual students at school as well.
Reply 13
People look inside a prison and see the prisoners dirty, "animals" they say "can't even wash themselves" but the prisoners aren't provided with any soap.

When people say being gay is bad because they are statistically more likely to have AIDS, even though there is no requirement to teach about safe-sex for homosexuals, and then they point out homosexuals are more promiscuous, even though they are/were not allowed to marry.

Once people start teaching safe-sex for homosexuals from a reasonable age, and tolerance and acceptance from a young age, and not marginalizing gay people and start letting them marry, then we might find that gay people no longer have higher rates of sexual diseases, no longer have higher suicide rates, and won't be as promiscuous? Just a thought.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah,why not? Homosexuals are obviously not green aliens from the outer space. Different sex life doesn't mean they are ugly Satan jumping out of the Bible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
yeah sure! People have been educating about drug use and that's working! Jeez, what these people do for 'love'
Reply 16
It needs to be taught in school as everyone in their life will encounter gay people and it is important for those who are gay to know how to practise their sex life in a healthy way. Religious people may object but this should not be a barrier as it's important to be taught. You do not have to agree with something to realise its important to be taught after all atheists are taught about religion.
I totally disagreewith homesexuality, but people should be taught to respect it and not use "gay" as an insult like they do now in schools
Sex education isn't about sexuality, it's about how we reproduce, so I can't imagine why they want people to talk about homosexuality in there, particularly as there's not a lot of science behind it other than the more kids a woman perhaps increases the likelihood her womb makes them gay.

If we talks about gay sex then that's sex for pleasure and as far as I know, we're not taught anal sex or different sex positions because Sex Education is about teaching children how to reproduce, not being taught to be 'straight'.

There won't be much to the homosexuality lessons other than 'people are just gay for no reason'. When was the last thing you were taught in school which had no reasoning (unless you went to an Islamic school)?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Snagprophet
Sex education isn't about sexuality, it's about how we reproduce, so I can't imagine why they want people to talk about homosexuality in there, particularly as there's not a lot of science behind it other than the more kids a woman perhaps increases the likelihood her womb makes them gay.

If we talks about gay sex then that's sex for pleasure and as far as I know, we're not taught anal sex or different sex positions because Sex Education is about teaching children how to reproduce, not being taught to be 'straight'.

There won't be much to the homosexuality lessons other than 'people are just gay for no reason'. When was the last thing you were taught in school which had no reasoning (unless you went to an Islamic school)?

sex education is more than about reproduction, that part is mostly covered in biology. In PSHE (or whatever they call it now) they teach about contraception, STI's and things. That part is probably lacking for teens in general, and even worse for gays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending