The Student Room Group

Is a 2.1 even anything to be proud of anymore?

Maybe I've been on the elitist side of TSR too much but the more I think about it isn't 2.1 just like a…B? As in, second-class student, second-class employee, second-class citizen, second-class partner/date.

If everyone is getting 2.1s and the market is saturated with them, then why should one be proud of being distinctly average? (Yes I'm aware that a 'C'student is what's stereotypically considered average but in reality B is the new C)

I'm getting depressed thinking of my graduation ceremony and going up to get the piece of laminated paper they call a certificate which says 'well done, you, you spent 3 years of your life working for us and as it turns out, you did okay'
(Context: Brother came joint top of his year in MEng at an RG uni, now preparing to broadcast his PhD thesis on international business trips)

Especially in Arts. AFAIK 2.1 STEM> First in Arts :/
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Riku
Maybe I've been on the elitist side of TSR too much but the more I think about it isn't 2.1 just like a…B? As in, second-class student, second-class employee, second-class citizen, second-class partner/date.

If everyone is getting 2.1s and the market is saturated with them, then why should one be proud of being distinctly average? (Yes I'm aware that a 'C'student is what's stereotypically considered average but in reality B is the new C)

I'm getting depressed thinking of my graduation ceremony and going up to get the piece of laminated paper they call a certificate which says 'well done, you, you spent 3 years of your life working for us and as it turns out, you did okay'
(Context: Brother came joint top of his year in MEng at an RG uni, now preparing to broadcast his PhD thesis on international business trips)

Negged.

Refer to your problems, and try to solve them rather than trying to impose non-problems on other's.
Reply 2
Original post by tehforum
Negged.

Refer to your problems, and try to solve them rather than trying to impose non-problems on other's.

I don't follow? :s-smilie:
I'm doing an Arts course btw so I'm not biased
Original post by tehforum
Negged.

How can you neg that? An accredited STEM degree is definitely worth more than a first in Arts.
What you should be proud of should be primarily relevant to your expectations, not others. If you've worked hard for that 2.1 and achieved what you wanted to, then be happy. Stop hoping the STEM-lovers on TSR will comfort you.
Yes.
Well consider that the average person our age doesn't even go to university, a fair few don't even have A-levels but vocational qualifications instead. Still, I do languages and tbh you could get a 2:1 with your eyes closed.
Original post by Riku

you just filibustered your own thread dude
Original post by Riku

As long as it helps you get the job you want, does it really matter if a 2:1 is something to be proud of or not? And lots of 2:1 grads get brilliant jobs every year.
Reply 9
Original post by Abstraction
What you should be proud of should be primarily relevant to your expectations, not others. If you've worked hard for that 2.1 and achieved what you wanted to, then be happy. Stop hoping the STEM-lovers on TSR will comfort you.

Well the way I see it me being proud of a 2.1 in Arts (given everything I have now read about STEM master race) is like me being proud of a gold star I like to wear on my coat after having a good day and wearing it to an interview saying 'hire me please, I got a Gold Star today'-except I worked for 3 years to get the self-imposed gold star

I'm going to get nagged to **** for this. I love my degree/subject but I do question my usefulness to society
Reply 10
Original post by + polarity -
you just filibustered your own thread dude

In that the Arts students are going to come and comfort me saying yes a 2.1 is great only to now loathe me for saying something which I don't really want to believe is true-that my non-academic function is fairly arbitrary?
Reply 11
Original post by Smack
As long as it helps you get the job you want, does it really matter if a 2:1 is something to be proud of or not? And lots of 2:1 grads get brilliant jobs every year.

That's one way of looking at it. But consider that the candidate presenting a First on his CV is more likely to be promoted quicker, and generally be regarded as a superior employee
The grade you get at University does not have to dictate what you will become in life, unless you allow it.
Reply 13
It's quite subjective. Some people think that 2:1s are mediocre and that we should all be attaining firsts. A lot of people aren't capable of graduating with a first and do very well to attain a 2:1. I think it entirely depends on the intellect of the person and the institute at which they studied.
Original post by Riku
Well the way I see it me being proud of a 2.1 in Arts (given everything I have now read about STEM master race) is like me being proud of a gold star I like to wear on my coat after having a good day and wearing it to an interview saying 'hire me please, I got a Gold Star today'-except I worked for 3 years to get the self-imposed gold star

I'm going to get nagged to **** for this. I love my degree/subject but I do question my usefulness to society

Again, you're making the mistake of identifying your worth with how useful you are 'to society'. "Usefulness to society" these days means "how easily an exploitative employer can use you to make profit". Plenty of brilliant human beings who may not be considered very employable. The market does not decide how much human beings are worth. Switch off the TV please.
I know it's a cliche, but try your absolute hardest, and whatever grade you come out with you should feel happy with. If that's a 2:1 or 2:2*, then so be it. You couldn't do any more than that. As for how it will affect your career prospects, I don't know because I'm in my final year too.

*Easier said than done when I'm on track for a 2:2 and I've tried so hard. :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by Abstraction
Again, you're making the mistake of identifying your worth with how useful you are 'to society'. "Usefulness to society" these days means "how easily an exploitative employer can use you to make profit". Plenty of brilliant human beings who may not be considered very employable. The market does not decide how much human beings are worth. Switch off the TV please.

This reminds me of an essay I just read by David Foster Wallace called 'E Ubinus Pluram' where he essentially argues that the iron grip of TV and the media on the minds of the postmodern world is that we all pretend to be aware of its conditioning and above it but secretly we're under its spell, no special snowflake, we will fall too
Reply 17
Original post by Caedus
It's quite subjective. Some people think that 2:1s are mediocre and that we should all be attaining firsts. A lot of people aren't capable of graduating with a first and do very well to attain a 2:1. I think it entirely depends on the intellect of the person and the institute at which they studied.

Ok, using that formula I've got Firsts on about 40% of my coursework, but due to 'circumstances' [cough] ****ed up and lost marks so ended up with a middle-range 2.1 at the moment. I'm at an RG I'm proud of but I'd prefer to keep anon for their sake :redface:
Reply 18
Original post by Caedus

Ok, using that formula I've got Firsts on about 40% of my coursework, but due to 'circumstances' [cough] ****ed up and lost marks so ended up with a middle-range 2.1 at the moment.
I'm at an RG I'm proud of, but I'd prefer to keep anon for their sake :redface:
Original post by Riku
That's one way of looking at it. But consider that the candidate presenting a First on his CV is more likely to be promoted quicker, and generally be regarded as a superior employee

No, that's not true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending