The Student Room Group

History (Edexcel) or English Lit (OCR) A2?

Hi so I've just finished my AS exams and I've pretty much chosen to drop either History or English Lit next year because they're both really hard, but I don't know which one to drop.

History is pretty much all source based next year which I am awful at and hate hate hate but the books for English look horrible next year? Also, History is apparently better for uni but I think I may prefer English to a certain extent (I liked it this year).

Any advice?
Take what you love. If you hate it, drop it. English literature is still a very respected subject!

May I ask what books you're studying?
Original post by niamhryle
Take what you love. If you hate it, drop it. English literature is still a very respected subject!

May I ask what books you're studying?

Well at the moment I'm really unsure,,,especially as my history exam yesterday went awful :frown:

Next year I think we're doing Anthony and Cleopatra but I'm not sure what book we're doing...I looked at the OCR syllabus and they look kinda boring
Original post by lightningdoritos
Well at the moment I'm really unsure,,,especially as my history exam yesterday went awful :frown:

Next year I think we're doing Anthony and Cleopatra but I'm not sure what book we're doing...I looked at the OCR syllabus and they look kinda boring

I'd say give English a chance, especially if the exam went badly (although if you sat the Edexcel exam then it may be helpful to know that our History class hated it too).
Which History unit would you be doing? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Which History unit would you be doing? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

From Kaiser to Fuhrer and for the coursework we're doing USA or something
From Kaiser to Fuhrer and for the coursework we're doing USA or something

I'm currently doing that unit and it's amazing! Honestly, it's so interesting :smile: it's not too source based either, the exam consists of a normal 30 mark essay and a 40 mark source essay :smile: I'd definitely recommend it :yep:
I'm currently doing that unit and it's amazing! Honestly, it's so interesting :smile: it's not too source based either, the exam consists of a normal 30 mark essay and a 40 mark source essay :smile: I'd definitely recommend it :yep:

Oh that makes me feel a bit better I thought it was all sources! Well not to sound rude or anything but do you possibly have any notes that I could look at just to have a feel of what I'm getting myself into? :P Our teacher is absolutely rubbish at teaching us source stuff...
Oh that makes me feel a bit better I thought it was all sources! Well not to sound rude or anything but do you possibly have any notes that I could look at just to have a feel of what I'm getting myself into? :P Our teacher is absolutely rubbish at teaching us source stuff...

Thankfully not, I definitely prefer pure essays :tongue: that's not rude at all, but I'd mostly suggest you check out this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1633199 (the first page) because that'll probably give you a better overview than my notes! If not, I'll happily show you a few :smile: ah what a shame! I'm sure you'd be great though :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankfully not, I definitely prefer pure essays :tongue: that's not rude at all, but I'd mostly suggest you check out this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1633199 (the first page) because that'll probably give you a better overview than my notes! If not, I'll happily show you a few :smile: ah what a shame! I'm sure you'd be great though :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too! I liked the unification of Italy and Germany one we just did :smile: Ah that's great, thank you! I'm glad I found someone with experience because nobody seems to do my course (at least not this year!)
Me too! I liked the unification of Italy and Germany one we just did :smile: Ah that's great, thank you! I'm glad I found someone with experience because nobody seems to do my course (at least not this year!)

I'm glad! :smile: you're very welcome :yep: haha aww :tongue: the coursework isn't too bad either, I've actually found A2 easier than AS because there's coursework to help bump up your grade :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm glad! :smile: you're very welcome :yep: haha aww :tongue: the coursework isn't too bad either, I've actually found A2 easier than AS because there's coursework to help bump up your grade :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! that's exactly what I was thinking haha what did you do for coursework? I know that you need to do a lot of wider reading but what's it about? eg. sources/arguments stuff like that?
Yes! that's exactly what I was thinking haha what did you do for coursework? I know that you need to do a lot of wider reading but what's it about? eg. sources/arguments stuff like that?

Hehe :biggrin: I did Civil Rights, one question was "Assess the role of individuals in reducing discrimination between 1865 to 1980", and the source side was "Assess the short term significance of Rosa Parks" :smile: The first is basically just like a 30 mark essay, I had to focus on individuals but then mention other factors that reduced discrimination such as the work of governments, certain events (such as WWI and WWII) and groups such as the NAACP. The second, you have to pick your own sources, I think it was a minimum of six, and then integrate them into your argument! If you ever want to take a look if you need to make a final decision on what to drop, I don't mind sending them :smile:
Hehe :biggrin: I did Civil Rights, one question was "Assess the role of individuals in reducing discrimination between 1865 to 1980", and the source side was "Assess the short term significance of Rosa Parks" :smile: The first is basically just like a 30 mark essay, I had to focus on individuals but then mention other factors that reduced discrimination such as the work of governments, certain events (such as WWI and WWII) and groups such as the NAACP. The second, you have to pick your own sources, I think it was a minimum of six, and then integrate them into your argument! If you ever want to take a look if you need to make a final decision on what to drop, I don't mind sending them :smile:

That sounds interesting! :smile: Yeah for the sources one I'd appreciate some advice or just anything important that I need to know perhaps? Like where would you say I get the sources from and do you have to agree/disagree with them like in English Lit?

Just had a little panic about sources as I've just remembered it's the sources that caused me so much trouble this year! (since our teacher never really taught us how to analyse them properly...) I may redo this unit if it's really bad, but I was wondering if i could just ask you stuff next year if I'm having problems? After all, you seem like a fairly reliable source (pun maybe intended) :wink:
That sounds interesting! :smile: Yeah for the sources one I'd appreciate some advice or just anything important that I need to know perhaps? Like where would you say I get the sources from and do you have to agree/disagree with them like in English Lit?

Just had a little panic about sources as I've just remembered it's the sources that caused me so much trouble this year! (since our teacher never really taught us how to analyse them properly...) I may redo this unit if it's really bad, but I was wondering if i could just ask you stuff next year if I'm having problems? After all, you seem like a fairly reliable source (pun maybe intended) :wink:

It was :biggrin: that's absolutely fine! I'll admit I had to dig quite deep for some decent sources, I just searched Google for things like "letter about Rosa Parks" etc. Ended up with things like an interview with her, a speech by Martin Luther King from a meeting, newspaper extracts and so on. You really do have to just search around! You more have to discuss their reliability and utility, so obviously by looking at who wrote it, their motives :smile:

If you look at the link to the thread I showed you, there's an example of one of my A2 exam source answers (handwritten though!) and there are plenty earlier on in the thread, you could look at them to see how you go about it because it's pretty much identical to the 40 mark AS section B :smile: the best way to do it is to make a point, take a quote from the source that supports that point, and show evidence from your own knowledge from events or whatever :tongue: no harm in redoing if you need to, and I'd be happy to help! I'll be doing half a history degree at the time too, so hopefully I'll be more helpful/knowledgeable :tongue: hahaha aww :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was :biggrin: that's absolutely fine! I'll admit I had to dig quite deep for some decent sources, I just searched Google for things like "letter about Rosa Parks" etc. Ended up with things like an interview with her, a speech by Martin Luther King from a meeting, newspaper extracts and so on. You really do have to just search around! You more have to discuss their reliability and utility, so obviously by looking at who wrote it, their motives :smile:

If you look at the link to the thread I showed you, there's an example of one of my A2 exam source answers (handwritten though!) and there are plenty earlier on in the thread, you could look at them to see how you go about it because it's pretty much identical to the 40 mark AS section B :smile: the best way to do it is to make a point, take a quote from the source that supports that point, and show evidence from your own knowledge from events or whatever :tongue: no harm in redoing if you need to, and I'd be happy to help! I'll be doing half a history degree at the time too, so hopefully I'll be more helpful/knowledgeable :tongue: hahaha aww :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay I'll be sure to do some research! :smile: Did you buy lots of books and stuff? I don't wanna spend too much money on 'extra reading' and stuff...and that thread is really useful! there's so much stuff I swear I'm learning stuff already and I'm just glancing through them hahaha

But I was bad at doing part (b) at AS sobsob so idk maybe it'll turn around at A2 :smile: Thanks for the help though, I'm so glad I have someone to rely on because everyone seems to think that I'll be 'fine' but only a history student knows the worries of studying history, right? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest