The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5480
Original post by Doppelgänger
You're right on this one, my main point is that we need an out and out striker instead of Draxler. Benzema would be ideal, but as with the Ozil deal it would only happen if Madrid landed Suarez which isn't going to happen. Manzukic is a good shout, but he's too similar to Giroud, I'd rather sign Griezman.

Sure, but we don't need Cesc when we have Wilshere and Ramsey.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, Griezman or Remy.

We saw how good giroud looks when he has a striker with him..

To be honest, I would be really really happy if the following signings went through:-

Remy/Griezman - up to £20m
Vela - £3m
Fabregas - £30ish
Aurier - £7m
GK (Shez cover) - £4-7m

Approximately £65m for all of that is not bad at all
Original post by Setsuna
I read somewhere we are linked with Luiz Gustavo, I never seen him play, is he any good?
he has been reported to have a release clause but he only signed to wolfsburg last summer on a 5 year deal. Wolfsburg have also done very well in the bundesliga this year qualifying for the EL. Doubt he would go this year and Barca have also shown interest I believe.

As a player he's got an eye for a good pass but he has discipline problems to the point of being red carded 3 times in this campaign and hasn't had an amazing defensive workrate for me personally. Offensively he is great and racked up a few goals and assists this season and is also good at keeping possession but would say Lars tops him defensively imo.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SHOO
Yes, Griezman or Remy.

We saw how good giroud looks when he has a striker with him..

To be honest, I would be really really happy if the following signings went through:-

Remy/Griezman - up to £20m
Vela - £3m
Fabregas - £30ish
Aurier - £7m
GK (Shez cover) - £4-7m

Approximately £65m for all of that is not bad at all

Our biggest need is for a DM, would rather that over Cesc as much as I like him.
Reply 5483
Original post by EmperorMustard
Our biggest need is for a DM, would rather that over Cesc as much as I like him.

That's exactly my predicament, what signing might we have to compromise if we do end up getting cesc

Having said that, cesc does chip in with a few goals doesn't he
Original post by SHOO
That's exactly my predicament, what signing might we have to compromise if we do end up getting cesc

He won't really have to chip in as much if Ramsey plays

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SHOO

We already have Ramsey, Özil, Wilshere, Rosicky and Ox to play the two CM/AM roles. I'm hoping Barca keep Cesc, would hate to see him go to one of our rivals. He's just too expensive to have as a luxury though.

Not that I'd complain if he did come back. Dat rotation...
Reply 5486
Original post by AR_95
He won't really have to chip in as much if Ramsey plays

Posted from TSR Mobile

Course he will, we need to up our GD man :frown:
Original post by Setsuna
Wilshere gets minor injuries quite a lot though, plus since ozil fitness level isn't great, cesc can add depth to midfield. If we have a buy-back clause for him at 25m, the. It's defo worth it.

Fair point but then I see the Ox as the back up. It's just unwise to get Cesc in on the that basis since when all our midfielders were fit at start of season when we were top of league all of pundits noted how midfield is the area in which we have depth - "an embarrassment of talent" according to Alan Hansen if I remember rightly. They're quoting £35m for Cesc which isn't worth it imho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmperorMustard

Agree. With all due respect to Flamini and Arteta, Diaby is the closest we have to the type of DM we need but his injury problems are not promising.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Flamini is a good player I wish he started more often than Arteta

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agree. With all due respect to Flamini and Arteta, Diaby is the closest we have to the type of DM we need but his injury problems are not promising.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Diaby is a B2B like Ramsey not a DM but im curious to how it would work with him and Ramsey.
Reply 5491
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
Diaby is a B2B like Ramsey not a DM but im curious to how it would work with him and Ramsey.

Man like Diaby more like a stretcher to stretcher😂😂.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could this Luiz transfer free up Matuidi?!?!? Matuidi is such a quality player. I'd go nuts if we got him
Reply 5493
Oh FFS it's already started :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
apparently Chelsea have already started doing business...

...by selling a player for £40 million
Original post by sevchenko
Could this Luiz transfer free up Matuidi?!?!? Matuidi is such a quality player. I'd go nuts if we got him

I have heard Luiz going to PSG is to allow Marquinhos to go to Spain.
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest

He's perfectly capable of sitting deep and shielding back four whilst still having the technical ability to keep the game ticking over. I see him being a disciplined threat like Fernandiho at City and freeing up Ramsey in the process.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
Man like Diaby more like a stretcher to stretcher😂😂.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha that's actually a good one! Shame though, a full season from him would be a blessing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shawn_o1
apparently Chelsea have already started doing business...

...by selling a player for £40 million

£50M
He's perfectly capable of sitting deep and shielding back four whilst still having the technical ability to keep the game ticking over. I see him being a disciplined threat like Fernandiho at City and freeing up Ramsey in the process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope, hes said himself that he particularly doesn't like being played as a DM and prefers to have a holding midfielder with him. This allows him to glide across the field and get by players with ease (we can dream), without having to commit time to defending as much.

Diaby is very much a dribbler of the ball, just because of his build many assume that he should be some sort of destroyer at DM (people think this about players like Khedira too), this isn't the case really and while being compared to Vieira at times, he's more offensive than him with less of a physical impact on games. Arsene also says he shouldnt be played as a holding/defensive player, and even at Auxerre he was played as a Striker sometimes.

Latest