The Student Room Group

Volunteering in Schools

Hi,

Just wondering how I can go about doing this. I need a placement for my uni course (going through OU) so do I just email/call/write a letter to them? Also I know I need a DBS check done, i'm currently waiting for one for my new job which does all the checks for schools (its in a school) so would this one count?

Thanks x
Reply 1
Best thing to do is email, phone or go see them in person. Phone or in person is probably quicker :smile:
Original post by HurdlesToJump
Hi,

Just wondering how I can go about doing this. I need a placement for my uni course (going through OU) so do I just email/call/write a letter to them? Also I know I need a DBS check done, i'm currently waiting for one for my new job which does all the checks for schools (its in a school) so would this one count?

Thanks x

Id go and phone them or see them in person and explain your situation and ask if you would be able to volunteer there. Most wont say no to a volunteer.
Original post by Mav455
Best thing to do is email, phone or go see them in person. Phone or in person is probably quicker :smile:

Original post by Emma:-)
Id go and phone them or see them in person and explain your situation and ask if you would be able to volunteer there. Most wont say no to a volunteer.

Thank you I will do that then :-) will my DBS be ok to use too? X

I was on the understanding that you needed a separate dbs check for every place you went to. But id get in touch with the school to double check that one though.

If you are signed up to the DBS update service, and your DBS check is an enhanced check for a child workforce with the children's barring list check on it, then probably (you'll need to show them the original hard-copy, and give them your DBS Update Subscription Number). If you didn't sign up, it's a standard check, it was for an adult workforce, or it didn't have the children's barring list check on it, then you'll need a new one.
Original post by BlueSam3
If you are signed up to the DBS update service, and your DBS check is an enhanced check for a child workforce with the children's barring list check on it, then probably (you'll need to show them the original hard-copy, and give them your DBS Update Subscription Number). If you didn't sign up, it's a standard check, it was for an adult workforce, or it didn't have the children's barring list check on it, then you'll need a new one.

Thank you for the reply BlueSam3. How do I sign up for this? I am currently waiting for it to come back, it was only put in yesterday by paper form. It is a enhanced with child workforce/barring list on. Thank you again xx
Thank you for the reply BlueSam3. How do I sign up for this? I am currently waiting for it to come back, it was only put in yesterday by paper form. It is a enhanced with child workforce/barring list on. Thank you again xx

Head here: here. It'll cost you £13/year, and you have to do it within 2 weeks of the certificate being issued.
Original post by BlueSam3
Head here: here. It'll cost you £13/year, and you have to do it within 2 weeks of the certificate being issued.

Oh perfect, Thank you :biggrin: xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending