The Student Room Group

Lifting noob gets strong

Scroll to see replies

tried 140kg at the end of my back session... didn't go well
What's people thoughts on doing decline DB press and incline DB flies for full chest development? Rather than decline + incline DB press in same session.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reps4Jesus
What's people thoughts on doing decline DB press and incline DB flies for full chest development? Rather than decline + incline DB press in same session.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Negligible difference tbh I'd just stick to either incline or flat and only do that tbh, no need for that much more volume, you'll be able to progress harder aswell. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Angry cucumber
Negligible difference tbh I'd just stick to either incline or flat and only do that tbh, no need for that much more volume, you'll be able to progress harder aswell. :smile:

Decline feels pretty much the same as flat except it removes my shoulder a wee bit from the equation, really want to keep doing it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
24/5/14

DB decline bench - 25kg (1x8) rep PB then 27.5kg (3x5) PB :biggrin:
Barbell rows - 52.5kg (1x5)
T-bar rows - bar + 30kg (5x5) felt a back pump :biggrin:
Shrugs - 75kg (3x8) PB
Pushdowns
Hammer curls - 10kg (9,9,10) PB

Happy to get into the 27.5kg dumbbells for benching :biggrin:
Gonna do T-bar rows from now on and move onto the 12.5kg dumbbells for curls

Posted from TSR Mobile
24/5/14

DB decline bench - 25kg (1x8) rep PB then 27.5kg (3x5) PB :biggrin:
Barbell rows - 52.5kg (1x5)
T-bar rows - bar + 30kg (5x5) felt a back pump :biggrin:
Shrugs - 75kg (3x8) PB
Pushdowns
Hammer curls - 10kg (9,9,10) PB

Happy to get into the 27.5kg dumbbells for benching :biggrin:
Gonna do T-bar rows from now on and move onto the 12.5kg dumbbells for curls

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why are you moving to T-bar rows? I assume they're a pendlay row.

A pump means nothing. Muscle activation is everything.
Original post by tehforum
Why are you moving to T-bar rows? I assume they're a pendlay row.

A pump means nothing. Muscle activation is everything.

Nah T-bar rows are basically bent ore rows except you have a super narrow neutral grip..

Muscle activation >>>pump
I can actually feel my back muscles working while doing T - Bar rows, barbell rows I don't feel are doing much for my back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nah T-bar rows are basically bent ore rows except you have a super narrow neutral grip..

Muscle activation >>>pump
I can actually feel my back muscles working while doing T - Bar rows, barbell rows I don't feel are doing much for my back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The form is off then.
The form is off then.

It's not..

I just can't engage my back as much as I can with t-bar rows.

It's not gonna make much difference anyway they're both overall back builders.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The form is off then.

Have you ever even done a T bar?
Have you ever even done a T bar?

I'm talking about a bent over barbell row.
I do tbar rows but with the usual overhand grip like bb rows. They're great. It's been my main back builder for 3-6months. I can't see my back but I think it's developed quite a bit lol

Sent from my HTC One
I'm talking about a bent over barbell row.

I am aware

Your answer is no by the lack of an answer..... pro tip 101 - there's more ways of building a back than barbell rows.

R4J.. do whatever the **** you wanna do, T bars are a bit more lat dominant imo however there's nothing wrong with them.

Original post by silent ninja
I do tbar rows but with the usual overhand grip like bb rows. They're great. It's been my main back builder for 3-6months

Sent from my HTC One

Ah you're lucky and have a machine, at uni I have to shove a barbell in the corner.. not that there are any corners anymore since a reshuffle... hence I now do barbell rows.
Gym I go to at home though has a amazing T bar machine.. I'll be using it lots :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
I am aware

Your answer is no by the lack of an answer..... pro tip 101 - there's more ways of building a back than barbell rows.

R4J.. do whatever the **** you wanna do, T bars are a bit more lat dominant imo however there's nothing wrong with them.

I know there's multiple ways of building a back.
I was questioning the dubious change to a T bar row.
I know there's multiple ways of building a back.
I was questioning the dubious change to a T bar row.

Just a general observation here but you seem to have the mindset that ICF is the be all and end all of beginner programs. Firstly there's nothing special about it and secondly the exercises in it can be substituted for other ones. Everyone is different, has different body part sizes/ratios and as a result some movements work better for one person than another.

If he feels a different exercise works better for him, then he should do that exercise. It doesn't mean his form is off.

Personally I never get back doms/feel rows hit my back all that much.
Original post by illusionz
Just a general observation here but you seem to have the mindset that ICF is the be all and end all of beginner programs. Firstly there's nothing special about it and secondly the exercises in it can be substituted for other ones. Everyone is different, has different body part sizes/ratios and as a result some movements work better for one person than another.

If he feels a different exercise works better for him, then he should do that exercise. It doesn't mean his form is off.

Personally I never get back doms/feel rows hit my back all that much.

All that evidence is really intriguing.

I note that I don't need to provide evidence because it's a personal view that changes to the program are unnecessary.

You've asserted something that relates to the body, and biomechanics which requires, in turn, evidence.

You've asserted something that relates to the body, and biomechanics which requires, in turn, evidence.

Are you really trying to deny that different bodies with different mechanics are better suited to different exercises?
Original post by illusionz
Are you really trying to deny that different bodies with different mechanics are better suited to different exercises?

An appeal to common sense is hardly evidence.
If you enjoy an exercise, do it. Simple advice which usually results in good results.

I think you just need to lift consistently, hit the relevant compounds and body parts and you're good. I've had no routine in 2 years if you look at my blog. I just lift, sometimes as little as once a week. It isn't optimum, but it's enjoyable and it still brings gains. It's not complicated. Switching exercises is okay if you vaguely know what you're doing eg switching bb rows for seated rows is kinda dumb. It's also good to learn new movements. It adds to your knowledge database and experience. Most fixed routines can get kinda boring

Sent from my HTC One
(edited 9 years ago)
An appeal to common sense is hardly evidence.

lol you're just being awkward and you know it.

Quick Reply

Latest