The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CraigWM
Watford have supposedly agreed a three year deal with Lloyd Dyer of Leicester. Surprised about this, I imagine SLF will know more about him than I do, but it seems a good deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Leicester fans love him and are generally gutted to be losing him - was one of those who was with us at our lowest (the league one season). He's a good winger (came up against Zabaleta twice and had his pants down twice) but is very much dependent on his pace. Rapid and will leave full-backs in the dust 9 times out of 10, but his delivery can be rather suspect.

As far as I'm aware its more that we wouldn't offer him a long enough contract - the staff want to keep him, but only a one year contract. If he does end up with you, expect consistent performances, running at defenders and beating them all rnds up, but the final ball to be somewhat erratic. On his day he is down near unplayable mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1221
Original post by ra-ra-ra
Ah, a huge shame you couldn't make it to the final just to top of the season that little bit more for you. Always the ex players that come back to haunt you too, this case with Matty Blair having the crucial goal.

Thanks :smile: Weirdly we're not too disappointed - we were just delighted to be in the play offs.

Wembley is going to be a graveyard. I'd be surprised if there were more than 20k fans for the play off final. Hope fleetwood's money bubble goes pop soon.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Leicester fans love him and are generally gutted to be losing him - was one of those who was with us at our lowest (the league one season). He's a good winger (came up against Zabaleta twice and had his pants down twice) but is very much dependent on his pace. Rapid and will leave full-backs in the dust 9 times out of 10, but his delivery can be rather suspect.

As far as I'm aware its more that we wouldn't offer him a long enough contract - the staff want to keep him, but only a one year contract. If he does end up with you, expect consistent performances, running at defenders and beating them all rnds up, but the final ball to be somewhat erratic. On his day he is down near unplayable mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I heard it was a contract issue also. I think because of his age you only offered him a year, whereas we offered him three years, which is a bit risky bearing his age... I heard he was pacey, I imagine him and Anya will play wingers next year. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quick question, guys. From a neutral point of view, who do you think are the favourites between QPR and ourselves for the PO final?

Most of the bookies seem to have us down as favourites (which I can understand when you consider we finished above them in the table) but, looking at their squad compared to ours, I don't see how we're anything but underdogs. No superstars or household names and the only Wembley experience we have in the squad are ex-Sheffield United and Luton players.

Not trying to talk down our chances but I'd much rather come into this game with all of the pressure on them :lol:
With the squad they have, QPR. That was a squad that should have walked the league. Likewise from the gamea I've seen of them and you (home and away vs us, home vs you) they seemed the better team. But, given you finished ahead of them in the regular season, you should be favourites. Frankly I hope neither win promotion, but seeing 'arry fail would be far more enjoyable (and the media treatment of a Leicester - Derby prem match would have forest absolutely bawling, which would be hilarious)
With the squad they have, QPR. That was a squad that should have walked the league. Likewise from the gamea I've seen of them and you (home and away vs us, home vs you) they seemed the better team. But, given you finished ahead of them in the regular season, you should be favourites. Frankly I hope neither win promotion, but seeing 'arry fail would be far more enjoyable (and the media treatment of a Leicester - Derby prem match would have forest absolutely bawling, which would be hilarious)

:cry2: Why? It will be an easy 6 points for you if we go up!
Want Derby to win, however I think QPR may have too much in terms of experience and may handle the pressure better.
As above- QPR to win but ideally want Derby up.
Watford seem set to get Marek Stech from Yeovil in, presumably meaning Almunia is off. A shame, but his age was showing. Vydra still believes he's earned a 4 year contract with a Premier League club, so I doubt he's coming in, still waiting on Toszer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would much prefer Derby to go up and I'm going to believe it will happen. I want to play both Fulham and QPR next season.
Want Derby to win but yeah, also think QPR will take it unfortunately.

Any Hereford fans on here? Or anyone really, what do you think is gonna happen, got a few outstanding payments and with the meeting soon, other clubs are going to be asking if they're financially stable for the league.
Hopefully Derby will win. You just know if QPR come up they'll go for Cole, Lampard, Ferdinand, Lescott and all the other past it players in their 30's who've been released. Won't add anything to the league.
Original post by Superunknown17
Want Derby to win but yeah, also think QPR will take it unfortunately.

Any Hereford fans on here? Or anyone really, what do you think is gonna happen, got a few outstanding payments and with the meeting soon, other clubs are going to be asking if they're financially stable for the league.

They seem optimistic about getting the immediate debts cleared however it's not looking too promising. I'm quite interested to see how Brizzle Rovers will get on in that league as I expect them to have to make major cutbacks next season.
Original post by sr90
Hopefully Derby will win. You just know if QPR come up they'll go for Cole, Lampard, Ferdinand, Lescott and all the other past it players in their 30's who've been released. Won't add anything to the league.

Supposedly they have already gone in for Lescott and Ferdinand, regardless of division.

Although they will add something to the league - humour.
Original post by billybo_h
Supposedly they have already gone in for Lescott and Ferdinand, regardless of division.

Although they will add something to the league - humour.

Have they just forgotten FFP applies to them?

Anyway, Albrighton signed for Leicester yesterday, so Lloyd is probably on his way now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have they just forgotten FFP applies to them?

Anyway, Albrighton signed for Leicester yesterday, so Lloyd is probably on his way now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Albrighton should be a good signing, apparently we're confirming Lloyd Dyer soon. Just signed Heurehlo Gomes from Tottenham this morning...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CraigWM
Albrighton should be a good signing, apparently we're confirming Lloyd Dyer soon. Just signed Heurehlo Gomes from Tottenham this morning...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gomes? Didn't realise he was still at spurs - got to be years since he last played. Him and Almunia is an impressive set of keepers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got 4 words...
COME ON YOU RAMS!
The Football League: providing no incentives for clubs to be run properly for 125 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27538802

Real football, real fans, real bull****.
Original post by Midlander
The Football League: providing no incentives for clubs to be run properly for 125 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27538802

Real football, real fans, real bull****.

It's worse that the the Premier League won't do anything if QPR do get promoted. Leaving the FL to search the fine out for themselves, rather than just withholding TV/prize money.

Ridiculous.

Quick Reply

Latest