The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Geography 2014

Did everyone else find it hard and run out of time?
Reply 1
Yes...what the hell was this exam??? I was so pissed off at the paper i just wanted to get up and leave...What was up with the fieldwork? It was crazy man...nothing compared to the past papers!
that exam so dodgy, my sisters revising rivers and i think i got some questions wrong they might be nice but this is edexcel :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by FritoJane
Failed it for sure. Format was too different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I knowwww! samee! :'( i actually had big hopes for this exam...I thought i was gona get an A*... the format had nothing to do with the past papers :frown:why were there so many fieldwork questions?? and the stupid graphs???
Original post by FritoJane
Yeah edexcel added an extra section! I had high hopes too :frown: 53% was a B and 62% was an A last year. To be honest, i'll get neither:s-smilie: it was actually that bad...

that fieldwork section confused me :frown:
Reply 5
Just silently hope we all pass!!! :sad: I am so angry with edexcel! So when you guys get results if u want share them in this thread.
Reply 6
And that River Regime question! Like WTH are you supposed to write for 6 marks? (If I remember correctly, it was 6 marks)
Reply 7
Original post by imaeatchu
Yes...what the hell was this exam??? I was so pissed off at the paper i just wanted to get up and leave...What was up with the fieldwork? It was crazy man...nothing compared to the past papers!

I messed up a whole section! People were in tears after the paper...
Reply 8
Original post by ezrabuckman
And that River Regime question! Like WTH are you supposed to write for 6 marks? (If I remember correctly, it was 6 marks)

When i read the word "river regime" my mind literally went blank. I checked afterwords and it is only mentioned once in the whole book! Its just a small sentence that is nowhere to be noticed. It was almost cruel asking such a question! :mad:
Reply 9
I messed up a whole section! People were in tears after the paper...

I am not surprised they were in tears. I wanted to start bashing my head on the desk when i saw the paper.
Oh and the field work sections-
It was to choose between:
River environments OR Coastal environments
AND
Fragile environments OR Urban environments

When i came out of the exam i found out the majority of the people did Coastal+River so i thought maybe i got confused and chose the wrong ones.
I chose River environments and Urban environments.
Am i right or am i wrong? What did you choose? :confused:
Reply 10
I am not surprised they were in tears. I wanted to start bashing my head on the desk when i saw the paper.
Oh and the field work sections-
It was to choose between:
River environments OR Coastal environments
AND
Fragile environments OR Urban environments

When i came out of the exam i found out the majority of the people did Coastal+River so i thought maybe i got confused and chose the wrong ones.
I chose River environments and Urban environments.
Am i right or am i wrong? What did you choose? :confused:

You're right! It's supposed to be one from both of them! That's where I messed up! I did Fragile Environments AND Urban so I basically messed up a whole section there...
You're right! It's supposed to be one from both of them! That's where I messed up! I did Fragile Environments AND Urban so I basically messed up a whole section there...

Many people messed up this thing so Edexcel should probably put the grade boundaries down. I skipped two nine mark questions because i didn't get what they were asking and also these stupid graphs on the field work sections...Throughout all my preparation for this exam i have never seen or heard of such graph!

I think this picture pretty much sums up what happened when they were creating our Geography exam...:biggrin:
Reply 12
Many people messed up this thing so Edexcel should probably put the grade boundaries down. I skipped two nine mark questions because i didn't get what they were asking and also these stupid graphs on the field work sections...Throughout all my preparation for this exam i have never seen or heard of such graph!

I think this picture pretty much sums up what happened when they were creating our Geography exam...:biggrin:

I pray to the Grade Boundary Gods xD The 9 mark questions were quite vague so I get where you're coming from! I know! The graph for the River was so hard that it caused me to cut the whole section and do Urban Practical! :'(

Ahahahahaha Yes! I saw that Picture on Facebook and The geography exam popped into my head! :smile:
I prepared for the old specification, I didn't even know about the new section until I saw it during the exam. So I tried to apply what I learnt in other subjects to answer the questions.

I said to measure the depth of a river; take measurements multiple times(science), filter out extreme high and low values by using the interquartile range (Q4-Q1) (mathematics) and then use the mean value as your depth. My answer is probably nothing like the marking scheme.

For safety or whatever the question was about measuring the river depth, I said make sure there are no crocodiles in the river; bet I got nothing for that.

I hated the question that asked me the advantages of my chosen way to display data - I ended up saying it's visual and can easily see correlations.

Then the question about a reindustrialized industry of a country - that wasn't in the book!!! I just made it up and said the UK's shipyards had a lot less work when ww2 ended, and then Nato increased its presence in Europe after 9/11 which reindustrialized the UK's shipyards which got more work repairing and refueling ships. I think that was a 9 mark question.

I really wanted an A+ because the grade boundaries for geography are usually so low (Around 72% for A+, 63% for A, 54 for B) but I would be delighted to get anything better than a B from that exam.

Quick Reply

Latest