The Student Room Group

Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games

Scroll to see replies

Original post by greeneyedgirl
Trains to and from Glasgow & E'burgh are pretty regular .

Yes, and less than an hour, many school kids do it every day
Reply 321
Anyone know if/when tickets are going back on sale for the commonwealth games? Need tickets for the 7s!
well 94% of all tickets have already been sold, best bet is to register for the newsletter to be informed

http://www.glasgow2014.com/tickets
Anyone else not able to log in to the volunteer portal atm? It keeps just taking me back to the log-on page.
Yes, many have reported a problem, hopefully will be sorted soon
Is there anyone who is still finding it hard to get accommodation?

I got my shifts today, but if I'm staying in Edinburgh, it doesn't seem likely I'm going to be able to get there in time for those 6:30am starts...
Original post by Sugarbelly

I got my shifts today, but if I'm staying in Edinburgh, it doesn't seem likely I'm going to be able to get there in time for those 6:30am starts...

6:30 am...bloody hell that's early! May be worth searching gumtree and stuff to see if people are renting out spaces in their flats etc.

Are you eligible for help from the volunteer support pot? They're sorting (and paying for) my accommodation.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Are you eligible for help from the volunteer support pot? .

http://www.volunteerscotland.net/volunteersupportpot/ closes for applications on June 1st

it doesn't seem likely I'm going to be able to get there in time for those 6:30am starts...

While some transport links are extending their hours, it maybe still impossible to get to your venue for a very early start, But if you can't get there, don't worry, get there as early as you can, explain to your team leader why. Many had the same worries at 2012, BUT, do the games and spectators going to be starting at 6:30? (I don't think so :rolleyes: ) do your best, and don't worry.
(edited 9 years ago)
" volunteer support pot" majority of applications are getting a grant of £30, (different amounts being paid to Scottish residents and a few lucky ones )
Yeah, I've already got my support pot sorted out and all, as a resident of NI I had to apply earlier.
Just still struggling to figure out where to stay, if all else fails, I have a friend who is offering to rent a room from her uni flat in Edinburgh, is anyone else going to be travelling from there?
Reply 332
Yeah, I've already got my support pot sorted out and all, as a resident of NI I had to apply earlier.
Just still struggling to figure out where to stay, if all else fails, I have a friend who is offering to rent a room from her uni flat in Edinburgh, is anyone else going to be travelling from there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm planning on travelling from Edinburgh, its gonna be tight though as some of my shifts end late and I am worried about trains and stuff
Original post by BAZ1NGA
Posted from TSR Mobile I am worried about trains and stuff

It has been said that trains will be running later, and I have heard that if you check out some train time tables over the games period they are showing extra trains, but no Official notification yet.

The route Glasgow to/from Edinburgh will be well used
Reply 334
Original post by Divingbrit
It has been said that trains will be running later, and I have heard that if you check out some train time tables over the games period they are showing extra trains, but no Official notification yet.

The route Glasgow to/from Edinburgh will be well used

I checked the trains on the trainline, I think the latest train was around grand twelve or so though, which is still slightly difficult unfortunately
For those concerned about travel to early/from late shifts ~ here's what we were told at RST today ~ that the transport team are working together with all the transport providers to see what is absolutely necessary in terms of an extension of normal non-games service and we will not be expected to be available for starting/finishing at times where public transport is not available to get us there/home (it's still work in progress & times could be tweaked) be patient peeps ~ the old volunteer adage "hurry up & wait" it will all work out ~ everyone is aware of the logistics and working tirelessly towards a solution
Anyone received their rehearsal tickets for the opening ceremony yet? Got mine in the posts today. A bit disappointed as seats allocated 5 seats apart??????? Think I will give it a miss.
Original post by geminicat
Anyone received their rehearsal tickets for the opening ceremony yet? Got mine in the posts today. A bit disappointed as seats allocated 5 seats apart??????? Think I will give it a miss.

Picked mine up with uniform so we have seats side by side. I'm sure you could swap with people on the day.
It happened at 2012London rehearsal, many found that a polite request too swop seats worked.
Original post by Divingbrit
It happened at 2012London rehearsal, many found that a polite request too swop seats worked.

Unfortunately I don't think I was asked which day I wanted so I am still away on holiday on the Saturday? But I will give them to my mum and dad. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending