The Student Room Group

Anyone else noticed this?

Has anyone else noticed that English teachers have quite a particular charm to them, especially male English teachers?

I'm just about in love with every English teacher I've ever met, bar the old ones.
Original post by eoj89
Has anyone else noticed that English teachers have quite a particular charm to them, especially male English teachers?

I'm just about in love with every English teacher I've ever met, bar the old ones.

The only thing I remember about my English teachers was the constant complaining and not being able to speak unless instructed to...charming? not so much
Reply 2
Original post by lilypear
The only thing I remember about my English teachers was the constant complaining and not being able to speak unless instructed to...charming? not so much

I do not envy you at all, my teachers are a joy hahaha
Original post by eoj89

Absolutely. All my English teachers throughout all my school years have been my favourite ones. I think it might be because of the *relatively* more laid-back approach with English as a subject, as opposed to science or maths subjects
Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
Absolutely. All my English teachers throughout all my school years have been my favourite ones. I think it might be because of the *relatively* more laid-back approach with English as a subject, as opposed to science or maths subjects

As a trainee English teacher, this made me chuckle. English and Maths and equally harsh pressures put on them and it doesn't ease up at any point in the year. They are the two most important GCSEs people get (as the majority of jobs ask for the grades you got in them) so we get a lot of surveillance by the Senior Leadership Team at school and also there is parental pressure.
Original post by Shelly_x
As a trainee English teacher, this made me chuckle. English and Maths and equally harsh pressures put on them and it doesn't ease up at any point in the year. They are the two most important GCSEs people get (as the majority of jobs ask for the grades you got in them) so we get a lot of surveillance by the Senior Leadership Team at school and also there is parental pressure.

I never said there was less pressure, it's just as a general rule the actual content for maths, whether GCSE or A-level or whatever, is slightly more challenging than that for English. Therefore in class you *generally* don't need to try as hard to get good grades. Hence, allowing room for "messing about" and/or having more fun with the teachers. This has been the case in my experience anyway.
Oh and OP, why is this in Relationships?
I am an English teacher and am utterly charming. My husband is one as well, and he is the same. It's uncanny.
haha no not really, Ive had some really quite terrifying English Teachers ones who send you out for exchanging eye contact with class mates. I've also had ones who are so terribly laid back that they make you feel severely unprepared.
I've also had some great ones, probably because English is a subject which attracts very socially capable and understanding humans. After all reading can certainly make you become more empathetic !
You can't have sex with them, so their charm is wasted imo. Not that I thought English teachers were particularly charming anyway.
Original post by NatashaG
haha no not really, Ive had some really quite terrifying English Teachers ones who send you out for exchanging eye contact with class mates. I've also had ones who are so terribly laid back that they make you feel severely unprepared.
I've also had some great ones, probably because English is a subject which attracts very socially capable and understanding humans. After all reading can certainly make you become more empathetic !

I love you.:smile:
:rofl: come and meet the English teachers at my school espec. the male one
There's only one male at my school and he's fat and balding so...

But the female ones I've been a little attracted to :wink:
There was one English teacher at my school who was like this. Objectively, in hindsight, he was really nothing special to look at, but he dressed very sharply (I remember one lesson when he came in wearing a new suit and jaws literally dropped) and was very knowledgeable and charming. I was very keen and well-behaved and he obviously liked me as a pupil, and rumours started that it was more than that, though they were only ever light-hearted. Nothing would ever have actually happened, but it was entertaining for people to imagine...
I was in love with my college English teacher.. In school however they were terrible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
YES!! My male english teacher is so good-looking and is such a charming person

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really. The only English teacher I've ever liked is my current English teacher. He's really nice and helpful, but still not the most amazing teacher I've ever had. However, he does have a particular "charm" to him. He's a bit like what Helenia described her teacher as: nothing all that special to look at, but always dresses smart - except he comes across as really naive and clumsy and has a really boyish charm to him. My friend hates him though lol, she gets really mad at him. She thinks he favours me, because e.g. she once asked him how to get an A* and he replied "You can't get an A* unless you're Madmatician!" :colondollar: I didn't know about this; I had to find out through someone else (who isn't even in my class... Someone's been busy gossiping :wink:). Now whenever she vents about him, she always brings up the topic about him favouring me over other students. I'm not really sure how he does this though. He's a bit weird around me, but all in all, he's an alright teacher. :smile:
My English teachers are just...very strange and annoying :colonhash:

My maths teacher is really nice though :redface:

Quick Reply