The Student Room Group

Is breathing oxygen a social construct?

No one really has a clear and encompassing definition of what a "social construct" is, but this is what makes them so dangerous. How do we know that the very air we breathe is nothing more than a hoax, a lie that society has fed us in a bid to deplete our consciousness?

I think in this age of uncertainty it is wise to question everything. It is what an enlightened person would do, my friends.

Scroll to see replies

I think you might be a social construct. :colone:
From Wikipedia:

(0) In the present state of affairs, X is taken for granted; X appears to be inevitable.
(1) X need not have existed, or need not be at all as it is. X, or X as it is at present, is not determined by the nature of things; it is not inevitable.

The need to breath oxygen is clearly not a social construct, because it fails to meet the second requirement.

Perhaps you should actually read a bit of sociology before you start criticising it because it questions your neat little world view.

:dry:
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh my... This thread has my head spinning, I'm going to leave now :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's all subjective
Reply 5
Yo dont mix science and sociology...
Reply 6
Haha, I L'dOL. +1
Original post by Dark Horse
No one really has a clear and encompassing definition of what a "social construct" is, but this is what makes them so dangerous. How do we know that the very air we breathe is nothing more than a hoax, a lie that society has fed us in a bid to deplete our consciousness?

I think in this age of uncertainty it is wise to question everything. It is what an enlightened person would do, my friends.

Try not breathing for 10 mins- I look forward to not hearing from you.
I can very easily put a sample of air into an IR spectrometer and measure the atomic vibration frequencies, telling me what molecules the air contains :fyi:
Reply 9
yet another quality tsr thread
10/10
Reply 11
Original post by PythianLegume
From Wikipedia:

(0) In the present state of affairs, X is taken for granted; X appears to be inevitable.
(1) X need not have existed, or need not be at all as it is. X, or X as it is at present, is not determined by the nature of things; it is not inevitable.

The need to breath oxygen is clearly not a social construct, because it fails to meet the second requirement.

Perhaps you should actually read a bit of sociology before you start criticising it because it questions your neat little world view.

:dry:

How do I know sociology isn't a social construct?
How do I know sociology isn't a social construct?

It is. :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by PythianLegume
It is. :tongue:

Omg.
You made me laugh OP
Everyone knows its a social construct but we pretend its not to make biology a bit easier :yes:
This thread is inspiring.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Is this some kind of clunky satirical comment on the notion of race as a social construct?
Who cares.
Reply 18
Original post by cambio wechsel
Is this some kind of clunky satirical comment on the notion of race as a social construct?

When I think of social constructs, I see someone dropping the blue pill and being plugged into the matrix. Sociology is the One.
When I think of social constructs, I see someone dropping the blue pill and being plugged into the matrix. Sociology is the One.

Ah. That clears it up, then.

Quick Reply

Latest