The Student Room Group

Applying to medical school with A2 grades after results day?

Hey guys ^_^ Can someone please help me out. I have recently took my maths exams and know I have performed terribly (I've suffered from very bad anxiety and revision has been a mess). I reaaally want to go to get into a London university (Kings) to study medicine but I'm worried I wont meet the offer for as grades. Can I resit a module or two next year, then when I receive my final results, apply with them after results day because I know these will be so much better.
Original post by mehwi
Hey guys ^_^ Can someone please help me out. I have recently took my maths exams and know I have performed terribly (I've suffered from very bad anxiety and revision has been a mess). I reaaally want to go to get into a London university (Kings) to study medicine but I'm worried I wont meet the offer for as grades. Can I resit a module or two next year, then when I receive my final results, apply with them after results day because I know these will be so much better.

You certainly can apply after you've got your final results, but obviously you'd have to find something to do during that year.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
You certainly can apply after you've got your final results, but obviously you'd have to find something to do during that year.

Thanks, but I mean for entry in september, is there any way to get in?
Reply 3
No. Just no.
Original post by mehwi
Thanks, but I mean for entry in september, is there any way to get in?

Applying after your exams for entry in September? No.
Reply 5
Original post by Chlorophile
Applying after your exams for entry in September? No.

ahh okay, what about clearing? Is there a chance for me to get into medicine through clearing?
Original post by mehwi
ahh okay, what about clearing? Is there a chance for me to get into medicine through clearing?

No, there isn't.
Reply 7
Original post by carnationlilyrose
No, there isn't.

there is, turns out I don't need this negative advice tbh
Original post by mehwi

Perhaps you would explain the method for the benefit of others.
Reply 9
Medicine places almost never come up in clearing. In fact I don't think they ever do!
Have you spoken with your exams officer about having a really bad exam?? Have you thought about contacting the uni who've given you an offer to just explain that one of your exams went really badly because you were nervous and weren't feeling very well??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillsy
Medicine places almost never come up in clearing. In fact I don't think they ever do!
Have you spoken with your exams officer about having a really bad exam?? Have you thought about contacting the uni who've given you an offer to just explain that one of your exams went really badly because you were nervous and weren't feeling very well??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure this is well meant, but I'm also sure you can see quite why universities don't accept this kind of information from applicants themselves.
You won't find medicine in clearing as competition for places is so competitive during the first phases of the application cycle, and the average is, iirc, 2 offers for medicine (out of 4 choices). You either apply during Y13 and maybe not get in if your grades aren't good enough (which is more likely as many have the top grades), or wait and have a gap year in which you apply for entry the following September. With that, you have your grades in hand, and can use the year to do work experience, save money and generally strengthen your application.
Original post by mehwi

Why did you ask if there's a way to get into Medicine through clearing if you think you already know the answer? For your information, whilst it's technically possible, it's practically impossible so for all intents and purposes, no, you can't get into Medicine through clearing.
Reply 13
I'm sure this is well meant, but I'm also sure you can see quite why universities don't accept this kind of information from applicants themselves.

Yeah I can see why, could be made up and an excuse for not working hard enough I suppose.
But if you were completely desperate, I'm sure if you had an offer for medicine you've gone through quite a rigorous application process that's proven you to be a honest enough person??
The best thing to do in an exam if you panic is to let the invigilator know and school/exam centre can officially log it :smile: I've had this from my own unfortunate experience of a panic attack during a maths exam funnily enough haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillsy
Yeah I can see why, could be made up and an excuse for not working hard enough I suppose.
But if you were completely desperate, I'm sure if you had an offer for medicine you've gone through quite a rigorous application process that's proven you to be a honest enough person??
The best thing to do in an exam if you panic is to let the invigilator know and school/exam centre can officially log it :smile: I've had this from my own unfortunate experience of a panic attack during a maths exam funnily enough haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Such contact has to be made through school. Otherwise it has no validity. As for the honesty of the applicant, well, your faith in human nature is touching!:smile:
Reply 15
Such contact has to be made through school. Otherwise it has no validity. As for the honesty of the applicant, well, your faith in human nature is touching!:smile:

Haha oh well. We were told that too, to inform the invigilator during the exam and not make special consideration claims after because then it's too late??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tillsy
Haha oh well. We were told that too, to inform the invigilator during the exam and not make special consideration claims after because then it's too late??

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's a very tight time limit for applying for consideration after the event and if the issue isn't even raised at the time of the exam, it's a non starter in most cases. Special consideration is worth very little in any case. A maximum of 5% for the death of a parent or sibling in the immediate exam period, and everything else, much less.
Reply 17
You'll have to wait 1 or 2 years for reapplication and by then we'll be on the same academic level :smile: (I'm doing GCSE) :wink: :wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink:
Clearing doesnt exist for Medicine. Many people misunderstand the process of clearing. Clearing is a process run by UCAS in which universities who have free spaces either advertise their vacancies or call up individual students (sometimes only students who applied there, failed to get an offer, but still got the grades). It is possible to get into medicine on results day, but not through the process of clearing. The student themselves must ring up the universities and ask if they have spaces. The university will NEVER Cold call you. Normally the chances of getting into a university you didnt apply to is very very skim. There is a much higher chance of getting into a university that you applied to but failed to get an offer for. This is all on the assumption that some offer holders didnt get their grades, thus leaving vacencies. There is also a much higher chance if you were interviewed then rejected, then plain rejected. Some universities will offer to interview students the next day, some want to fill their spaces on the same day. If the university is interested in you, they would normally tell you that they will contact you later on in the day. This is so that everyone who wish to call them and ask, are able to. They then offer interviews/offers to the strongest candidate. My friend got no offers last year, but was interviewed at Newcastle. He rang up on results day, they rang him back 5 hours later and gave him an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest