The Student Room Group

BBC censors the word ''girl''

I swear this **** gets worse and worse every single day.

The BBC was embroiled in an extraordinary censorship row last night after cutting the word ‘girl’ from a documentary about the Commonwealth Games, fearing it might cause 'offence'.

Broadcaster Mark Beaumont, 31, joked after being hurled to the floor by a judo champion: ‘I am not sure I can live that down being beaten by a 19-year-old girl.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2638404/Now-BBC-bans-G-word-Sports-reporter-joked-hed-beaten-judo-bout-19-year-old-GIRL-sexist-word-cut-broadcast.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thats really pathetic, I guess its the society we live in though, anything that might cause 'offence' is immediately censored, feels a bit like Nazi Germany :lol:
Funny, when young females are in court on charges of anything from petty theft to glassing somebody in a bar, they have no objection being described as a girl.
In fairness there probably are some crazies who'd be offended lol
Reply 4
That's it. I have now exhaled so much there is a new layer to the atmosphere. It's filled with the gaseous form of DONE.
Reply 5
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
That's it. I have now exhaled so much there is a new layer to the atmosphere. It's filled with the gaseous form of DONE.

I can merely stand and admire your relaxed brevity.

The politics of offence have now reached levels of sheer farce and I believe largely at fault for the decline in rigorous discourse both in public and in private. Soon every opinion will have to be prefaced with some kind of disclaimer: "I'm not racist/sexist/homophobic but..."
Reply 6
Original post by Endo
I can merely stand and admire your relaxed brevity.

The politics of offence have now reached levels of sheer farce and I believe largely at fault for the decline in rigorous discourse both in public and in private. Soon every opinion will have to be prefaced with some kind of disclaimer: "I'm not racist/sexist/homophobic but..."

To be honest if you need a disclaimer like that, there's a high chance the comment will be racist/sexist/homophobic.

I'd be blind if I were to say everything is fine now, that we know what not to say and that we won't make accidental sexist remarks casually, it's sort of ingrained and can be difficult to spot before it is said. But it's the way it's dealt with that's also a problem.

If somebody accidentally says something you do not agree with, e.g. casual racism, you shouldn't try to tear their head off, but instead calmly highlight that you felt that sounded racist, and they should respond in a similar manner. Of course this isn't something tumblr is aware of and the angry response is usually the one people expect, hence why they overreact about being PC and do ridiculous things like this, just to avoid that one person being upset.

BBC, you cannot please everybody, if you wish to do that you can only speak the word 'egg'...

.. Then then of course egg is an english word so it may offend the non-english speakers, it may also offend vegans and animal rights activists for exploiting chickens.. careful now BBC.
I think the guy quoted is a bit of a tit for saying it, but the BBC shouldn't be responsible for that.
(edited 9 years ago)
BBC... washing your brain for the bargain price of £145.50 a year
Reply 9
Original post by MangoFreak
I think the guy quoted is a **** for saying it, but the BBC shouldn't be responsible for that.

Huh what?
Original post by forsparta
Thats really pathetic, I guess its the society we live in though, anything that might cause 'offence' is immediately censored, feels a bit like Nazi Germany :lol:

Yes, it's exactly like Nazi Germany. :facepalm:
Original post by Rinsed
Really, you do?

It was a pretty mild joke, at his own expense as much as anything.

Okay, yeah, I probably used a strong word :tongue: But I don't think it was a very good thing to say. Maybe he would have, had the judo champion been male, said "19-year-old boy", but that isn't how it reads. It reads as though he finds it amusingly unthinkable that he could be taken down by a female, judo champion or not.

I'm not saying he's a patriarchy-supporting, gun-toting misogynist (I can hardly get that from one quote), just that he might not have thought it through.
Another Sunday, another story that allows the right to engage in a bit of hyperbole and faux-outrage.
Original post by PythianLegume
Yes, it's exactly like Nazi Germany. :facepalm:

I said ''a bit''

I never said it was exactly like Nazi Germany :lol:
It's ridiculous that people would be offended by that, but I suppose a lot of people would find it sexist :erm:
It is ridiculous that people would be offended by that but I don't blame the BBC they were just trying to protect their broadcaster.
lol.. love the BBC
Anyone wanna bet Thunderf00t picks up on this and makes an awesome video about it?
Are people just so bored that they actively go out looking for something that "offends" them.
Original post by forsparta

Ah yes, Nazi Germany a place renowned for political correctness and being very concerned about offending people

Also, if you don't think it's sexist to make a joke that, in order to work, must make the necessary assumptions that all women are weak and that men should feel ashamed for being beaten by them, then you're probably a bit sexist. She is a trained judo champion and he is not, it should be very easy to live down being thrown to the ground by a trained judo champion. The joke is that because she is a girl he should be embarrassed.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply