The Student Room Group

Unit 2: Sources of Law 2nd June 2014

Hi guys,

I hope ELS went well for everyone if not then don't worry because we still have sources of law to do. Just putting this thread out for anyone taking this exam so we can discuss and help each other out with certain topics.

Good Luck and I hope you find this thread useful :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Anyone got any predictions on what might come up???
Reply 3
Original post by Nath67890
Anyone got any predictions on what might come up???

I think it will be Stat Int and Judicial Precedent & Law Reform?

What does everyone else think?
Doubt it will be Del Leg and EU as that came up last year, so Jud Prec will most likely come up. A question solely on how an Act of Parliament is made would be lovely (yyyy)
Reply 5
Definitely Statutory Interpretation and Judicial Precedent for sure!
Original post by 08vihe
Definitely Statutory Interpretation and Judicial Precedent for sure!

If it is those topics, what are the questions most likely to be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Either part A or Cii may be to describe the four methods of interpretation? Or just focus on one. The Ci question on stat int will probably be something like the disadvantages of the literal rule or something x
Reply 8
Original post by JessLouise_x
Either part A or Cii may be to describe the four methods of interpretation? Or just focus on one. The Ci question on stat int will probably be something like the disadvantages of the literal rule or something x

do u think its likely if they ask for q1 describe the literal rule
Well if Ci is describe literal rule then Cii will probably be to explain the advantages and disadvantages of literal also. Q1 may be describe the 4 methods, or just golden/mischief/purposive. Q1 will not be literal if C is literal

What latin phrases are used for Stat int? I've completely forgotten
Well if Ci is describe literal rule then Cii will probably be to explain the advantages and disadvantages of literal also. Q1 may be describe the 4 methods, or just golden/mischief/purposive. Q1 will not be literal if C is literal

What latin phrases are used for Stat int? I've completely forgotten

So is it very likely that Cii will be the advantages and disadvantages of whatever C is about?(:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swagyolo420
So is it very likely that Cii will be the advantages and disadvantages of whatever C is about?(:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I assume so, I mean they may change it up and make a really hard C question but I cant see what else C questions could be:smile: Most describe questions will be either on the methods or ways to avoid stat.interpretation
I assume so, I mean they may change it up and make a really hard C question but I cant see what else C questions could be:smile: Most describe questions will be either on the methods or ways to avoid stat.interpretation

Ah okay! :smile: yeah an act of parliament describe Q would be lovely hahaha, are you not revising judicial precedent at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swagyolo420
Ah okay! :smile: yeah an act of parliament describe Q would be lovely hahaha, are you not revising judicial precedent at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I will go over key terms and key cases but I am mainly going to revise stat int in depth, briefly go over acts of parliament and law reform. I am pretty strong of del leg so if that ends up coming up then I will be fine. I assume it will be stat. and judicial precedent coming up in which case i will do stat int so no, I probably wont revise jud.prec in detail x
Well I will go over key terms and key cases but I am mainly going to revise stat int in depth, briefly go over acts of parliament and law reform. I am pretty strong of del leg so if that ends up coming up then I will be fine. I assume it will be stat. and judicial precedent coming up in which case i will do stat int so no, I probably wont revise jud.prec in detail x

Im in a similar situation, delegated legislation is very straightforward . I might do the same as you!(:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
i know its a sources of law thread but for the question on lay magistrates on ELS, it said describe recruitment, appointment and training process.

was i meant to write about the qualification you need in order to become a lay mag? E.g 18- 65 years old.

Or was i just meant to start from like the interview process is conducted by the local advisory committee?
Original post by lolly12
i know its a sources of law thread but for the question on lay magistrates on ELS, it said describe recruitment, appointment and training process.

was i meant to write about the qualification you need in order to become a lay mag? E.g 18- 65 years old.

Or was i just meant to start from like the interview process is conducted by the local advisory committee?

I posted a response for you in te ELS thread(:
Originally Posted by lolly12

<font color="#505050">was i meant to write about the qualification you need in order to become a lay mag? E.g 18- 65 years old.

<font color="#505050">Or was i just meant to start from like the interview process is conducted by the local advisory committee?

I posted a response for u in the ELS Thread(:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
I think i'm the only one who prefers statutory Interpretation to delegated legislation!
Im not going to bother revising del leg as i find it boring and stat is much more likely to come up as it wasn't on last year :smile:
Also going to revise judicial precedent and law reform
Hey this is a massive request so I'm not going to be surprised if no one does it haha but I really need help with structure etc. since It's not too clear what I have to do to get 100% of the marks on a statutory interpretation question... It would be amazing if someone could attempt answering this question for me (how they would in an exam): "Describe the Literal Rule using source A and cases to illustrate your answer"

(The Exam Paper: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/66771-question-paper-unit-g152-sources-of-law.pdf )
(The Mark Scheme: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65446-mark-scheme-unit-g152-sources-of-law-january.pdf )

Its the January 2011 Paper which had questions on Statutory Interpretation and Judicial Precedent so its probably quite useful since those are the two most likely this year.

Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Aaronfm2
Hey this is a massive request so I'm not going to be surprised if no one does it haha but I really need help with structure etc. since It's not too clear what I have to do to get 100% of the marks on a statutory interpretation question... It would be amazing if someone could attempt answering this question for me (how they would in an exam): "Describe the Literal Rule using source A and cases to illustrate your answer"

(The Exam Paper: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/66771-question-paper-unit-g152-sources-of-law.pdf )
(The Mark Scheme: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65446-mark-scheme-unit-g152-sources-of-law-january.pdf )

Its the January 2011 Paper which had questions on Statutory Interpretation and Judicial Precedent so its probably quite useful since those are the two most likely this year.

Thanks guys :smile:

I've been getting 15 out of 15 for all my stat essays in class so i'll take a picture of how to get 100% on a literal rule one :smile:
My law teacher has been marking for OCR for around 7 years so she knows what shes doing.
The struture for any of the 'Describe ...... rule' is a definiton, extended definition, quote and 3 well explained cases :smile:

Quick Reply