The Student Room Group

Do girls like hairy men?

Poll

(GIRLS ONLY) Do you like hairy men?

So basically i'm fairly damn hairy, I got a hairy chest, belly, lowerback, some on my upper back (mostly near the end of my neck) and I was wondering if girls find it attractive.

It causes me to have a lot of self-esteem issues because of the amount of comments I get like 'Eww that's gross!' or 'Why don't you shave it?'.

I was thinking of getting some laser treatment simply because it's permanent and shaving would mean it'd grow back thicker and waxing would hurt a lot.

My ex actually loved the hair and thought it was very manly, but i'm thinking she's an extreme minority - so, what's your opinion?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I love hairy guys. Raw, rugged, masculine men are the best :gah: Don't like overly feminized/shaved/gelled-hair pretty boy types for some reason :tongue:
So do, some don't.
Original post by Talipso
I love hairy guys. Raw, rugged, masculine men are the best :gah: Don't like overly feminized/shaved/gelled-hair pretty boy types for some reason :tongue:

:eek: So there are others!
Reply 4
My boyfriend is also hairy and I definitely love it. His chest is very hairy and there's cute little tufts on his upper back and he usually has stubble. His arms and legs aren't extremely hairy, just normal I suppose. I think I prefer it to largely hairless, because it's a sign of maturity as most young men don't have so much. I'm not sure about the majority of women's preferences, but us hairy-lovers do exist.
Reply 5
Original post by MichaelYEAH
:eek: So there are others!

Other what? :tongue:

I'd just leave it the way it is TBH. This is very much personal preference but I don't like it when guys are overly smooth/shaved, it makes them look gay.
Reply 6
Original post by Talipso

Guess I'll check out then :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Talipso
Other what? :tongue:

I'd just leave it the way it is TBH. This is very much personal preference but I don't like it when guys are overly smooth/shaved, it makes them look gay.

Hair lovers, haha. Yeah, I hear you, it's just a huge confidence blow when someone says something about it.

Example: I was at Glastonbury festival last year with my top off (something I don't do often) my body is in fairly decent shape (not trying to sound arrogant) but when I met one of my girl-friends she said 'Jesus christ your f****** hairy'. It's that kinda stuff which really pushes down my self-esteem.
Original post by Per
My boyfriend is also hairy and I definitely love it. His chest is very hairy and there's cute little tufts on his upper back and he usually has stubble. His arms and legs aren't extremely hairy, just normal I suppose. I think I prefer it to largely hairless, because it's a sign of maturity as most young men don't have so much. I'm not sure about the majority of women's preferences, but us hairy-lovers do exist.

It's good to know, I just think that you're probably a minority :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by FKLW
Guess I'll check out then :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my experience, most girls nowadays prefer the latter, I never see "pretty boys" have a problem dating :lol:. However, I'm quite feminine myself so I prefer a guy who's a bit more manly.
Reply 10
Hair lovers, haha. Yeah, I hear you, it's just a huge confidence blow when someone says something about it.

Example: I was at Glastonbury festival last year with my top off (something I don't do often) my body is in fairly decent shape (not trying to sound arrogant) but when I met one of my girl-friends she said 'Jesus christ your f****** hairy'. It's that kinda stuff which really pushes down my self-esteem.

Well, if people say mean stuff, that sucks but maybe just call them out on it, the way you would if they criticised anything else :s-smilie:

How hairy are we talking btw? Like this?

Because personally I find that more attractive than the "smooth" look like this:

Original post by Talipso
Well, if people say mean stuff, that sucks but maybe just call them out on it, the way you would if they criticised anything else :s-smilie:

How hairy are we talking btw? Like this?

Because personally I find that more attractive than the "smooth" look like this:

Uhh, belly and chest in the first one, not so much where the shoulder hair meets the arm hair. Also as i've said, lowerback and a bit around the bottom of my neck is hairy too.
Reply 12
Uhh, belly and chest in the first one, not so much where the shoulder hair meets the arm hair. Also as i've said, lowerback and a bit around the bottom of my neck is hairy too.

Honestly sounds fine to me :dontknow: Also, I thought most guys shaved their necks? I guess if you really wanted to get rid of it you could do it there. (Or if you really want to get rid of hair, you could always just book in for a full body wax, do what you personally feel comfortable with lol) :smile:
Reply 13
It's good to know, I just think that you're probably a minority :tongue:

I think what you really need to figure out is whether you like it or not. You shouldn't feel the need to change yourself so people might like you better. If you like the hair, then keep it and rock it. Develop confidence in yourself and don't dwell on comments from others which might not be meant negatively anyway.
If you don't like it, then remove it. The whole shaving makes it grow back thicker is a myth, it appears thicker temporarily because the end of the hair is blunt instead of sharp after it grows in after being shaved. But shaving is not a very efficient way of hair removal, as the effects don't last long especially on men whose hair grows quicker than most women. Waxing is fairly painful, not agonising, but becomes gradually less painful each time you do it. The effects last much longer than shaving. There is also epilating, which has similar effects to waxing, is quite painful especially the first time and you will have to take measure to prevent ingrown hairs afterwards. Laser removal is of course very effective, my friend's boyfriend had it on his back as he had a very hairy back, but be aware it will take several treatments and each time you will need to remove the hair manually so the laser can penetrate the follicle. If you have white skin you could consider bleaching, to make hair less noticeable.
Original post by Talipso
Honestly sounds fine to me :dontknow: Also, I thought most guys shaved their necks? I guess if you really wanted to get rid of it you could do it there. (Or if you really want to get rid of hair, you could always just book in for a full body wax, do what you personally feel comfortable with lol) :smile:

Haha, I don't know anyone in my whole year as hairy as me, so I wouldn't know what they do. But yeah, might get laser on the bottom of my neck/upper back - it's really embarrassing when my hair dressing the back of my collar down to shave that bit :P
Original post by Per
I think what you really need to figure out is whether you like it or not. You shouldn't feel the need to change yourself so people might like you better. If you like the hair, then keep it and rock it. Develop confidence in yourself and don't dwell on comments from others which might not be meant negatively anyway.
If you don't like it, then remove it. The whole shaving makes it grow back thicker is a myth, it appears thicker temporarily because the end of the hair is blunt instead of sharp after it grows in after being shaved. But shaving is not a very efficient way of hair removal, as the effects don't last long especially on men whose hair grows quicker than most women. Waxing is fairly painful, not agonising, but becomes gradually less painful each time you do it. The effects last much longer than shaving. There is also epilating, which has similar effects to waxing, is quite painful especially the first time and you will have to take measure to prevent ingrown hairs afterwards. Laser removal is of course very effective, my friend's boyfriend had it on his back as he had a very hairy back, but be aware it will take several treatments and each time you will need to remove the hair manually so the laser can penetrate the follicle. If you have white skin you could consider bleaching, to make hair less noticeable.

Yeah, think i'll either wax or laser it - although lasering costs a lot.. Thanks for the advice!
Reply 16
Original post by Talipso
In my experience, most girls nowadays prefer the latter, I never see "pretty boys" have a problem dating :lol:. However, I'm quite feminine myself so I prefer a guy who's a bit more manly.

I have a beard :puppyeyes: Just waxed quiff and no body hair :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by FKLW
I have a beard :puppyeyes: Just waxed quiff and no body hair :cool:Posted from TSR Mobile

I read "waxed quiff" and thought that you were waxing your scalp for a second :eek: :nope:

Beards are always good :sexface:

Reply 18
Original post by Talipso
I read "waxed quiff" and thought that you were waxing your scalp for a second :eek: :nope:

Beards are always good :sexface:

:rofl: it's not a huge beard, can't grow one :sad:

And hahaha no way I love my hair. Just meant that it's not gelled I.e it doesn't look wet :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by FKLW
:rofl: it's not a huge beard, can't grow one :sad:

And hahaha no way I love my hair. Just meant that it's not gelled I.e it doesn't look wet :tongue:Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not the size that counts... :lol:

Ah, I see what you mean. I honestly can't tell the difference when guys gel or wax their hair, though :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending