The Student Room Group

Were things better back in the day?

Over at TSR Towers we've been having a little bit of a reminisce about our favourite childhood shows and discussing how superior they are to current shows. Even some of our favourites have changed with Postman Pat now owning a helicopter! CRAZY!

But is it just children's shows which have gone downhill? Multitalented me thinks that all TV shows were better in the 90s and 00s! Do you agree? Are you constantly watching your favourite childhood shows on repeat?

What about books? Is your favourite book something from your childhood or something more modern? I'm sure we can all agree with TheStoryteller that Harry Potter definitely holds a special place in our hearts!

And do your top 10 films span a range of release dates or have they all been released not long ago? Dodgy graphics and special effects could put you off a must see movie, but others would argue it adds to their charm!

Motorbiker has also been reminiscing, getting us to think how we came across our favourite band. Come and share your story whether it was a friend playing you it or you heard it in a movie or even you were just randomly clicking through youtube or spotify and suddenly heard the band that would never be off your ipod!

So are your favourites full of golden oldies? Or are you so modern you're practically in the future? Come along to the Entertainment forum and discuss all your favourites both old and new!
Childrens shows where certainly better in then 90's and early 00's.
There where many shows that used to be great. For example: tots tv, rosie and jim, play days, the secret life of toys, noddy, barney, goosebumps, art attack, smart, kerching. As well as many more.
There are certain shows that used to be on such as noddy and postman pat which are still on but have been updated. They arent as good as they used to be.
I agree with children shows but not with films
I think it's more of a case of standards being lower as kids.
Original post by BlackLipBastard
I agree with children shows but not with films

I thought I would agree with you but then some of my favourite films are quite old relatively (e.g. Sliding Doors)
Reply 5
I wouldn't exclude it to television there was other stuff that was better as well!
Original post by greeneyedgirl
I thought I would agree with you but then some of my favourite films are quite old relatively (e.g. Sliding Doors)

Oh my favourite films defo come from that era but I just meant in general
Oh my favourite films defo come from that era but I just meant in general

Ah okay fair enough :yep:
Original post by Emma:-)
Childrens shows where certainly better in then 90's and early 00's.
There where many shows that used to be great. For example: tots tv, rosie and jim, play days, the secret life of toys, noddy, barney, goosebumps, art attack, smart, kerching. As well as many more.
There are certain shows that used to be on such as noddy and postman pat which are still on but have been updated. They arent as good as they used to be.

Am I the only one who hated Art Attack so much?

I loved art attack. It was amazing.
Ive seen the newer version though and thats rubbish. They should never have messed with the old version.
Original post by greeneyedgirl

There are quite a few films i liked from the 90's and early 00's- such as matilda, madeline and bend it like beckham
Original post by Emma:-)
There are quite a few films i liked from the 90's and early 00's- such as matilda, madeline and bend it like beckham

They were showig bend it like beckham on bbc 2
I think some BBC comedy has sometimes improved even when it originally dates to those days. Have I got news for you now has a real surreal warmth between Hislop and Merton. I love Miranda's modern spin on an old school feel- although it might have peaked a series or 2 ago so far I think it still has steam. Not Going Out's fine but it might have run its course now unless it gets Tim Vine back again or a new face. Inside Number 9 with Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton is beautiful as always from them.

Back in the 90s, The Fast Show disappointed me in repeating the same kinds of sketches over and over. It didn't need 2 full series to be a postmodernist comment on the repetition of sketch shows - it's lazy (Ted and Ralph aside).
The first series of Game On was a real gem from the 90s- it really was the first (and last?) truly British 'student' sitcom. It has a real indie sensibility to it that has stayed a great microcosm of that time for urban dwellers.
Reply 13

No, it sucked and I could never make what that ****er made.
"Simply draw a funny face on it"
"Why does mine look like a Goddamn rocket ship?!"

The general rule is, everything was better before Facebook.

You guys may feel some nostalgia from this list.
http://www.imdb.com/list/nkwsjrK9MUA/
Reply 14
Childrens shows were definitely better. But I think games (video games) are a lot better now in terms of graphics and such. And toys. I dont remember the last time I saw a child with an actual physical toy. They all play apps on iPhones or Samsungs now!
I don't think things were better in the old days, so much as time filtering out the garbage. (As an example, no-one really remembers the likes of bow wow and devo). Absolute garbage got to the charts back then just as it does now, but now is fresh in our minds and we remember seeing awful music make the charts, dull films become blockbusters etc.
People saying kids TV was better are driven by nothing but nostalgia. Sit down & objectively compare any of Cartoon Network's old shows with Adventure Time & Adventure Time is just as good if not better.

Quick Reply

Latest