The Student Room Group

Edexcel Additional and Triple Science discussion

I can only see AQA threads on the GCSE board so I thought I'd start an Edexcel one. Is anyone actually doing this exam board? How has revision been going? I do Additional and Triple, I'm super confident with Additional but C3 is a little shaky for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was looking thorough wondering also if there is actually anyone doing science with Edexcel!:smile: I am!

I'm super nervous for the extension exams! In those units the only one I feel mildly confident in is Chemistry, even then I'm panicking over learning all the formulas!

What have you revised so far?
Reply 2
Original post by AbbieEmma
I was looking thorough wondering also if there is actually anyone doing science with Edexcel!:smile: I am!

I'm super nervous for the extension exams! In those units the only one I feel mildly confident in is Chemistry, even then I'm panicking over learning all the formulas!

I started pretty early (Before Easter), so I've made notes on everything by now. My revision consists mostly of past papers now. Unfortunately there are only two for triple which makes it a lot harder. I am struggling to remember some of the equations too, there are way too many for chemistry, at least they give you them in physics.

How much have you revised atm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Knee Grow
I started pretty early (Before Easter), so I've made notes on everything by now. My revision consists mostly of past papers now. Unfortunately there are only two for triple which makes it a lot harder. I am struggling to remember some of the equations too, there are way too many for chemistry, at least they give you them in physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like you've done quite a lot!:s-smilie: For additional, I've so far only made a full set of notes for Biology however we've been doing weekly mocks in lessons and I'm getting consistent A/A* but I know I can't be too reliant on that. For extension I don't even know where to start revising, we only finished learning the course last week and I need to go over and familiarise with it all again:/. Aaaargh!
same :biggrin: I like all the chemistry and biology units but I hate physics :frown:
Reply 5
Sounds like you've done quite a lot!:s-smilie: For additional, I've so far only made a full set of notes for Biology however we've been doing weekly mocks in lessons and I'm getting consistent A/A* but I know I can't be too reliant on that. For extension I don't even know where to start revising, we only finished learning the course last week and I need to go over and familiarise with it all again:/. Aaaargh!

If you're getting high marks in mocks then there's no reason why you can't do it in the real thing

As for Extension, do you have a CGP revision guide ? I just made notes using that and test myself using the question book we got.

Original post by Marcusroye98
same :biggrin: I like all the chemistry and biology units but I hate physics :frown:

Really? I find P2 to be the easiest one, half the marks seem to come from using the formula sheet at the front

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought there was only 1 past paper from June 2013. and there is only 2 formulas for chemistry... i think its mass(g) with rfm (relative formula mass) times moles and the other one is Moles = Concentration (mol dm-3??) x Volume (dm3?) if you struggle remembering the formulas for chemistry draw a triangle, the one before the equals (=) is on top that way its easy to remember
Reply 7
Original post by EpicTroll9300
I thought there was only 1 past paper from June 2013. and there is only 2 formulas for chemistry... i think its mass(g) with rfm (relative formula mass) times moles and the other one is Moles = Concentration (mol dm-3??) x Volume (dm3?) if you struggle remembering the formulas for chemistry draw a triangle, the one before the equals (=) is on top that way its easy to remember

There are two past papers for Extension, the June13 one and the Sample Assessment one. There are a good few more for Additional.

As for the equations, there is also:

Mole-concentration = Mass-concentration/Mr

Mass-concentration = Mass/Volume

Volume at RTP (in dm^3)= Moles * 24

I can remember the equations when I'm relaxed but when I'm in an exam my mind just goes blank
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey guys! i also do edexcel add and trip... ive got key facts sheets that i just went through and finished chem and physics additional yesterday and did a few past papers... got between 54 - 49

Now im doing bilogy2 revision with key facts sheet then past papers then tomorrow is when **** goes down... I will attempt the extension units :OOOO
Reply 9
I saw your fact sheets on another thread and they're pretty good! I've been getting similar marks on my additional mocks. I think I could get higher marks if i didn't make silly mistakes/rush questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I saw your fact sheets on another thread and they're pretty good! I've been getting similar marks on my additional mocks. I think I could get higher marks if i didn't make silly mistakes/rush questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks but we both know thats never gonna happen.... if you made silly mistakes before, you will do silly mistakes forever :3 it has been proven by me :3
I can only see AQA threads on the GCSE board so I thought I'd start an Edexcel one. Is anyone actually doing this exam board? How has revision been going? I do Additional and Triple, I'm super confident with Additional but C3 is a little shaky for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Marcusroye98

Original post by EpicTroll9300

hey guys, please like my blog in favour for key facts sheets... really need my blog to get up and go: http://alifewithmedicine.weebly.com/
Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been noticing that aswell. I think a lot of schools have taken students off edexcel, only my year are still doing edexcel.
I'm only doing additional this year, but after having a couple of really small group sessions with my teacher, I now understand all the topics (I think). I actually enjoying protein synthesis =-O
I've glanced at the extended additional and it looks like things I'd enjoy more. I think I can relate to it better.

I'm only doing additional this year, but my teacher said it's equations, formula etc. I think it's because it's not something you revise you practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm an early reviser aswell. I started in the February half term, because I bad mocks. However, I had been doing revision for other exams we did. I can't cram, so I find doing practice papers 2 weeks before an exam. I probably should off started earlier but we only finished the course on Friday (we had a lot of issues).
Original post by pphilip99
I've been noticing that aswell. I think a lot of schools have taken students off edexcel, only my year are still doing edexcel.
I'm only doing additional this year, but after having a couple of really small group sessions with my teacher, I now understand all the topics (I think). I actually enjoying protein synthesis =-O
I've glanced at the extended additional and it looks like things I'd enjoy more. I think I can relate to it better.

i dont really get proteinsynthesis but i know the steps pretty welll... its just ii dont know what im saying... im doing this for the sake of cramming, no timeto understand, only time to know
If you're getting high marks in mocks then there's no reason why you can't do it in the real thing

As for Extension, do you have a CGP revision guide ? I just made notes using that and test myself using the question book we got.

Really? I find P2 to be the easiest one, half the marks seem to come from using the formula sheet at the front

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't fall into the trap of believing all of your mock marks. I did that last year A's/A* and I cam out with a B (3marks off an A), but still revise.
We use Collins books, I can them a lot better to revise from if you want higher marks.
Original post by Angelo12231
i dont really get proteinsynthesis but i know the steps pretty welll... its just ii dont know what im saying... im doing this for the sake of cramming, no timeto understand, only time to know

I was the same. I was just learning it. It makes it loads clearerwhen you uunderstand.
Do you have any revision sessions? A one-one with a teacher can clear up any confusion.
Original post by pphilip99
I was the same. I was just learning it. It makes it loads clearerwhen you uunderstand.
Do you have any revision sessions? A one-one with a teacher can clear up any confusion.

lol nah i aint got time for that and my teacher really doesn't care less!
Original post by Angelo12231
lol nah i aint got time for that and my teacher really doesn't care less!

Just do what you are doing then.

Quick Reply

Latest