The Student Room Group

AS Physics PHYA2: Mechanics, Materials & Waves

Anyone else got this exam coming up in the summer? It's on 09/06/14.
Please feel free to share any revision resources or links you find useful!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Okay so this is coming up three weeks on Monday - who's got last minute tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Who has tips to revise this unit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by CD223
Who has tips to revise this unit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just finished History today. So, I'll start revising physics now. I need to make some revision notes so it'll probably take me a few days to do that. Then, I'll be doing past papers. What are you doing for revision?

By the way, how did you find Unit 1?
Reply 5
Original post by Quantaˌ
I just finished History today. So, I'll start revising physics now. I need to make some revision notes so it'll probably take me a few days to do that. Then, I'll be doing past papers. What are you doing for revision?

By the way, how did you find Unit 1?

I just had Core 2 and History today too!

I'm making paper notes even thought I takes me longer I just like writing it out! How do you do yours? :smile:

I'm gonna start revising properly for this tomorrow, just wondered how to start!

Unit 1 was tough but fair I think. That power dissipated question was quite hard but yeah... How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by CD223
I just had Core 2 and History today too!

I'm making paper notes even thought I takes me longer I just like writing it out! How do you do yours? :smile:

I'm gonna start revising properly for this tomorrow, just wondered how to start!

Unit 1 was tough but fair I think. That power dissipated question was quite hard but yeah... How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How was C2 and History? Which exam boards did you do?

I didn't do that well in Unit 1. It's been my worst exam so far. It was mainly due to a lack of revision and exam practice. I could have done much better...

My ISA was that great either. So, I really need to do well in Unit 2.

I'll be making paper notes as well. I can't really learn from typed notes. But, perhaps nearer the exam, we could use this thread in order to test each other and discuss exam questions. I've always found that quite useful...
How did everyone's unit 1 physics go
Reply 8
Original post by Quantaˌ
How was C2 and History? Which exam boards did you do?

I didn't do that well in Unit 1. It's been my worst exam so far. It was mainly due to a lack of revision and exam practice. I could have done much better...

My ISA was that great either. So, I really need to do well in Unit 2.

I'll be making paper notes as well. I can't really learn from typed notes. But, perhaps nearer the exam, we could use this thread in order to test each other and discuss exam questions. I've always found that quite useful...

AQA for Core 2 and Edexcel for history - it was my source based Britain exam:smile:

Core 2 was okay up to the last 5 mark question and history was fairly average - hoping it went better than it felt haha! How about you?

Unit 1 was weird. No resistors in parallel, no photoelectric effect... Weird.

My EMPA didn't go well, so I'm hoping Unit 2 is easier!

Yeah sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by chewbaccer16
How did everyone's unit 1 physics go

Okay but not great! Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
AQA for Core 2 and Edexcel for history - it was my source based Britain exam:smile:

Core 2 was okay up to the last 5 mark question and history was fairly average - hoping it went better than it felt haha! How about you?

Unit 1 was weird. No resistors in parallel, no photoelectric effect... Weird.

My EMPA didn't go well, so I'm hoping Unit 2 is easier!

Yeah sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had OCR for History. And Edexcel for Maths. I've lost quite a few marks on maths. But, it should, hopefully, still be an A. And others found the paper quite difficult so that should help in regards to grade boundaries.

But, History went really well: I had practised writing the essays that come up in the exam. In the end, I was really pleased with both history exams.

It's quite strange: I'm doing much better in my weaker subjects than in the subjects that I should be good at...
Reply 11
Original post by Quantaˌ
I had OCR for History. And Edexcel for Maths. I've lost quite a few marks on maths. But, it should, hopefully, still be an A. And others found the paper quite difficult so that should help in regards to grade boundaries.

But, History went really well: I had practised writing the essays that come up in the exam. In the end, I was really pleased with both history exams.

It's quite strange: I'm doing much better in my weaker subjects than in the subjects that I should be good at...

I know what you mean! Grade boundaries tend to be lower on unit 2 I've noticed...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any help with SUVAT guys? I get it wrong no matter what I do :frown:
Reply 13
Hey guys, should we do some practice 5/6 markers? and anyone got any predictions of what they might be?
Reply 14
Original post by nerdynatalie
Any help with SUVAT guys? I get it wrong no matter what I do :frown:

Projectiles or normal SUVAT equations?:smile: I personally just write a list of SUVAT letters and then you're always gonna be told three (ones not always obvious until you reread the question) so you look at the equations they give you and spot which one has the 3 known and one unknown letter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by noseypo
Hey guys, should we do some practice 5/6 markers? and anyone got any predictions of what they might be?

I reckon either how to find the Young's modulus or the Young's double slit experiment will come up. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1401128056.147737.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1401128067.706351.jpg

This is gonna sound really basic but do you think you guys could help me work out the angles?! Can't do basic geometry here!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the calculations (the mechanics and motion stuff) I'm going to be working through some of the stuff that comes up in M1 using Exam Solutions. I also believe projectiles come up in M2 but am unsure how in depth they go as M2 is an A2 unit. Just need to be able to pick out what comes up in physics and what doesn't.

Any predictions for grade boundaries on unit 1? Exam didn't actually have that many circuit calculations which was weird. I think 54/55 for an A
Reply 18
Original post by TajwarC
For the calculations (the mechanics and motion stuff) I'm going to be working through some of the stuff that comes up in M1 using Exam Solutions. I also believe projectiles come up in M2 but am unsure how in depth they go as M2 is an A2 unit. Just need to be able to pick out what comes up in physics and what doesn't.

Any predictions for grade boundaries on unit 1? Exam didn't actually have that many circuit calculations which was weird. I think 54/55 for an A

M1 covers Projectiles for AQA Maths? Other than that you're right. Unit 1 was weird! I hope you're about right for the grade boundaries because I can see myself losing at least 14 marks:L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
M1 covers Projectiles for AQA Maths? Other than that you're right. Unit 1 was weird! I hope you're about right for the grade boundaries because I can see myself losing at least 14 marks:L

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing Edexcel maths so I only checked the spec for Edexcel M1 but yeah. Last year's unit 2 was quite difficult I think and the grade boundaries reflect that; 51 for an A, so I have a hunch that it might be easier this year but who knows. Probably a lot of people in the same situation as me; only got like 28 UMS out of my ISA so I need 106 UMS in both exams to get an A overall :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending