The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AR_95
Why the last part?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I honestly dont think Ive ever seen Benzema truly impress me. Even if he scores 2 he'll have missed 4 chances he should have scored.

Mandzukic is a striker who'll go to war for you in the big games. Hard working, strong, good finisher etc. We can do good things with him.

Bony is a very competent striker as well. Not top class but could get 20+ goals for us easily.
Original post by Numan786
Big debate going on over benzema and balotelli as much as I see what do you lot reckon?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Either. Benzema has a better attitude I guess but he can be seen as lazy as well. He usually gets a lot of assists so the play can go through him and he'll set up Walcott/AOC and get a good goal tally as well. Ozil feeding him ofc would help too.
Reply 5702
Original post by jam278
Lol, Mourinho did spend a lot but don't be blinkered look how much Ancelotti spent this season, why are you using ad hominem and slander as well?

Mourinho wouldn't have lost twice to Barcelona in the league and he wouldn't have lost at home to Atlético with that Real squad.

Coming from a guy who likes Ancelotti, the league performance was poor game from him. Out of the three seasons Mourinho was there he only once got a lower points total than what Ancelotti got and had a worse team. Unless you think Ozil>Bale? Won't be surprised if you do though. :rolleyes:

Where did I use ad hom?

These are just silly claims. How can you guarantee that he wouldn't have lost? The last 3 games he played against Atletico- 1D 2L- both losses were home game for him as well. He had pretty much the same squad and lets not forget that Ancellotti had to deal without having Khedira and Alonso for a large period.

You're making too many silly claims lately.
Original post by Zürich
I honestly dont think Ive ever seen Benzema truly impress me. Even if he scores 2 he'll have missed 4 chances he should have scored.

Mandzukic is a striker who'll go to war for you in the big games. Hard working, strong, good finisher etc. We can do good things with him.

Bony is a very competent striker as well. Not top class but could get 20+ goals for us easily.

What about Ballotelli (leaving the mentality aside)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278
Either. Benzema has a better attitude I guess but he can be seen as lazy as well. He usually gets a lot of assists so the play can go through him and he'll set up Walcott/AOC and get a good goal tally as well. Ozil feeding him ofc would help too.

Yh but one could argue balotellis peak is much higher and he's quicker too. While benzema does provide good link up play we'd be relying on Walcott being fit again for that pace in the final third. Plus benzema has proved he goes missing in big games and we have enough of those players whereas balotelli has performed in the big games.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
What about Ballotelli (leaving the mentality aside)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd take him, definitely more of a big game player than Giroud. But you wont get the required level out of him over a season. Would pay £25m probably, no more.
Original post by 419
Where did I use ad hom?

These are just silly claims. How can you guarantee that he wouldn't have lost? The last 3 games he played against Atletico- 1D 2L- both losses were home game for him as well. He had pretty much the same squad and lets not forget that Ancellotti had to deal without having Khedira and Alonso for a large period.

You're making too many silly claims lately.

You saying that I can't take any Mourinho criticism as I'm a Chelsea fan.

Not really, you're picking up stats when Mourinho is using Chelsea for two of those games. Don't be ridiculous here, there is a clear difference in quality between Chelsea and Real Madrid, you know it and I know it too. Also aren't you the one who was saying that Chelsea didn't beat Bayern at home because it was a CL final or was it Sevchenko? So why are you using a cup final as to how Mourinho messed up against Atlético?

Lets face it you're in the wrong and you're chatting nonsense. I provided facts that are relevant, you've provided facts that are not relevant to the discussion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 419
The so called ITK say he had zero say in Jonker's appointment. So that's that but it's silly to say we should stop brining in unknown name. There's no problem with brining in unknown names is when they're not complemented by bringing established players that creates problems.

Yeah ofc we can't rely on those type of players anymore and it would be incompetent to, especially with our financial position now.

Jonkers appointment is well done tbh, particularly with Brady staying to ease the transition. Thats the way I envision Arsene leaving, him fading away would be better for the club imo since atm he is in control of a lot and I can't help but feel that would overwhelm a new manager with other added expectations too. Either Wenger stays in the background for a while or works with the new manager to implement more delegation straight away.

Original post by Zürich
Wenger speaks more freely about a player when they're unlikely to join. Who heard anything about Ozil, Monreal, Cazorla etc before they signed? Not a peep. Very little information actually leaks out of Arsenal compared with most clubs, probably because Wenger himself is in control of almost everything and keeps his cards close to his chest.

Also, I'd much prefer Mandzukic to Benzema. Maybe even Bony.

I've always wondered how he manages to keep it on the down-low. Reckon the media will end up linking us with all available players by the end of the summer just on the off chance they can get one right and can celebrate.

We should be all over Bony, i rate him a lot.
I have a feeling Ballotelli could be a good player for us. With our finances sorted we can afford to pay him good wages and I think all this talk about him mentality is just a scarce. The player is young and has lots of time to mature. I think Wenger could get the best out of him and our squad would just feed him goals. He's been quite low key recently so I don't see him being too expensive (unless he has another good World Cup).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5709
Also, neutral point of view from me. Mourinho would've won the treble with Bale in the team. Think about it, Ancelotti essentially used Mou's counter attacking tactics against Bayern and destroyed them. He would've won the big games and as Jam said would've rolled over the small teams with CR7 and Bale etc. He wouldn't have lost twice to Barca, he wouldn't have got just a point from Atleti. So there's realistically 7 more points there (would've got 4 from both Barca and Atletico) so a comfortable league win. It's not even up for debate tbh.

Madrid are essentially just an upgraded Chelsea bar the defence- essentially Bale and Ronaldo are better versions of Hazard and Willian (though Hazard will reach Bale levels most likely). Mourinho is the best manager in the world imo. He wins the big games and with the right team (and with Costa next year) will win against smaller clubs. Basically next year Chelsea will be how they were in 04-06, maybe slightly down but to the same effect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5710
Original post by jam278
That's true he pissed off the whole of spain. He had to leave because he lost the dressing room though but tbh they'd probably just blow it off. They weren't divided as a dressing room when they got their **** together in the second half of the season. He only completely lost the dressing room after the defeat to Dortmund. They were probably willing to let him go on if they'd won la decima.

Lets be honest here, they could have sacked him right after the Villanova poke but they let him stay on, they won the league and the likes of Casillas were saying he's the best manager in the world, they're a fickle club with fickle players.

Of course they're a fickle club, but the Mou story was a bit more complicated.

Spoiler

So he probably was toxic. And regardless of that, RM had to get rid of him. It was thanks to him that they got the worst reputation in Spain in many many years with regard to fair play, something which RM emphasise LOADS with their el señorío bull****. Décima or not, the board would have rebelled against him.

Saying that, even if he hadn't been sacked, I doubt he would have continued. You could see he absolutely hated being ripped apart by the press for his playing style and philosophy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5711
Original post by jam278

Not really, you're picking up stats when Mourinho is using Chelsea for two of those games. Don't be ridiculous here, there is a clear difference in quality between Chelsea and Real Madrid, you know it and I know it too. Also aren't you the one who was saying that Chelsea didn't beat Bayern at home because it was a CL final or was it Sevchenko? So why are you using a cup final as to how Mourinho messed up against Atlético?

Lets face it you're in the wrong and you're chatting nonsense. I provided facts that are relevant, you've provided facts that are not relevant to the discussion.

If that's as dom, damn! Like oly god DAMN!!!!

Well you'e the one belittling what Ancelotti's done when Mourinho had 3 bites at it. Yet, I'm the one chatting nonsense whilst you're stating fact? Where's the fact that Mourinho wouldn't have lost twice to Barca and wouldn't have lost at home to Atletico. How did his last home game against Atletico go?

Trying to put words in my mouth now eh?

Lol? Bring up where I said that. Tbh if I was you, I wouldn't go down that route of calling people out. You say way too many silly things and I wouldn't have to go too far down. Heck it's on this page.

Logicczkkkkzzzzzzssssss
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 419

Well you'e the one belittling what Ancelotti's done when Mourinho had 3 bites at it. He's also done a 14 goal swing on Bayern. Yet, I'm the one chatting nonsense whilst you're stating fact? Where's the fact that Mourinho wouldn't have lost twice to Barca and wouldn't have lost at home to Atletico. How did his last home game against Atletico go?

Lol? Bring up where I said that. Tbh if I was you, I wouldn't go down that route of calling people out. You say way too many silly things and I wouldn't have to go too far down. Heck it's on this page.

Logicczkkkkzzzzzzssssss

Bayern were way better the year before pep took over I don't know why everyone fooled themselves into thinking otherwise. If something's not broken dont try to fix it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looooooool this thread gives me jokes

My 2 favourite African brothers at it :gfight:
Original post by Zürich
I'd take him, definitely more of a big game player than Giroud. But you wont get the required level out of him over a season. Would pay £25m probably, no more.

He's only 24 so one transition season won't hurt too badly. With the likes of our squad and Ramsey/Walcott back it eases off lots of pressure.
Ballotelli is also PL proven and has the physicality to strive.

Mandzukic is 27 however and unproven in the PL. I can see him costing relatively similar to Ballotelli however one should be worth more than the other.

Ballotelli just seems like the better long term choice IMO and paying up to 25-30m would be more of an investment it seems.

How are AC Milan on financial terms?
It's just weird since they use to be one of the top contenders for the CL but are now finishing 8th.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5715
Bayern were way better the year before pep took over I don't know why everyone fooled themselves into thinking otherwise. If something's not broken dont try to fix it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree, I've made that point myself. I actually got the games mixed up cos Jose obviously didn't manage Barca :faceplam2: :rofl:
Original post by qua
Of course they're a fickle club, but the Mou story was a bit more complicated.

Spoiler

All this is according to Marca rumours of course.

Saying that, even if he hadn't been sacked, I doubt he would have continued. You could see he absolutely hated being ripped apart by the press for his playing style and philosophy.

I agree. He probably wouldn't have stayed on.

But tbh Mourinho's not an idiot even though his statements seem ridiculous. Lets be honest he's not going to get the president to sell Casillas, around that time he was being rumoured to go to Chelsea, he probably knew regardless of what happened he'll have a job in the prem next season, so he probably went meltdown mode because he knew he was getting a job next season. He was most likely hoping for a payoff but didn't they give him gardening leave?

He lost the dressing room, but it was divided for the whole of his reign like that. Tbh I don't see many differences between the way Madrid play now and they did last year. Against teams who park bus and narrow they try less long shots and use the flanks better, but tbh that's what happens when you get Carvajal on the right flank so it's not the predictable pass to Ronaldo(or now Hazard at Chelsea :rolleyes:) but it's essentially exactly the same tactics as last season with a few different personnel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought the previous manager retired

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278

Jose is a great manager (best in the world since Fergie retired) but he makes your team as boring as ****. lol.. If he wants to park the bus, he should apply for a job at Transport for London....

he's getting his just desserts...I don't believe in karma but it IS funny to see his "enemy" win us the FA Cup, and him with a better team pussy up the league and only finish ahead of us on goal difference. lol...
Original post by 419

Well you'e the one belittling what Ancelotti's done when Mourinho had 3 bites at it. Yet, I'm the one chatting nonsense whilst you're stating fact? Where's the fact that Mourinho wouldn't have lost twice to Barca and wouldn't have lost at home to Atletico. How did his last home game against Atletico go?

Logicczkkkkzzzzzzssssss

What does managing Chelsea against Atlético have to do with Managing Real against Atlético? Class A eggs, class A omelettes. If you have chicken and only salt and pepper seasoning, will your chicken taste dry or not?

Call people out, is Sakho starting for france or not? Were Chelsea going to park the bus at the bridge and make it a 0-0 vs Arsenal?
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest