The Student Room Group

English Language AQA GCSE Exam 3rd June 2014 Discussion

I just set up this page to talk about the English Language exam at the start of June that I'm revising for right now!
If anybody has any questions, wants their work to be marked, predictions or tips just put it down below!
AQA for some reason think it's acceptable to give us just 2 hours and 15 minutes to write 6 essays... timing is a big issue for me and many others in my class! So how is everyone feeling about the upcoming exam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Confident for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by azaaza
Confident for an A

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great, what's your coursework grade?
Reply 3
71/80 is that an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I sat it in November, got 50/80 which was an A, which was quite low in my opinion.
Reply 5
Original post by azaaza
71/80 is that an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

72 is
Reply 6
Original post by BeccaBurrell
I sat it in November, got 50/80 which was an A, which was quite low in my opinion.

50 is a C??
Reply 7
Original post by yamyam77
72 is

I got 79/80, lost 1 mark in Spoken Language study, teacher wouldn't give it to me:frown:
Original post by yamyam77
50 is a C??

no it wasn't, I got an A on coursework then 50/80 on my exam, which was an A. So I got an A overall.
Reply 9
What is it out of 160 for an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

Yeah the grade boundaries aren't that high but that's fair since the time they give us for the exam is completely unfair! So are you retaking then?:confused:
Reply 11
Any tips for any questions or any advice? I got 68/80 in my coursework which is a solid A, I'm aiming for an A overall in English Language so does anyone know what I'd have to get in the exam to get that A?
I think 2 hrs and 15 mins is more than enough. It's certainly better than the 1 hr and 30 mins we got for English Lit. I'm confident I'll be able to get an A*; I find English Language way too easy but very very dull. Can't wait to get it over and done with!
Reply 13
Original post by Madmatician
I think 2 hrs and 15 mins is more than enough. It's certainly better than the 1 hr and 30 mins we got for English Lit. I'm confident I'll be able to get an A*; I find English Language way too easy but very very dull. Can't wait to get it over and done with!

I think it's way too little time to get the top marks but then again the grade boundaries are quite low. How long do you plan on spending on each question?:smile:
Original post by ad222
Yeah the grade boundaries aren't that high but that's fair since the time they give us for the exam is completely unfair! So are you retaking then?:confused:

My school made us retake if we didn't get an a*...but if I'm honest, like you said with the awful timings, I think an a is the realistic maximum I can achieve
Reply 15
Original post by ad222
I think it's way too little time to get the top marks but then again the grade boundaries are quite low. How long do you plan on spending on each question?:smile:

I do 15 mins for the first 3 then 30 mins and just split the remaining hour between the last two, around 35/25
Original post by ad222

My teacher's told us to spend 12 mins on the 8 markers, 24 mins on the 16 markers and 36 mins on the 24 marker.

That should add up to 2 hrs perfectly, and then you'll have 15 mins spare :smile:
Reply 17
What is an A* out of 160?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll be practising with past papers a for this exam. Fairly confident of doing well just the timings I have got to look out for as they are my major pitfalls.
Reply 19
My school made us retake if we didn't get an a*...but if I'm honest, like you said with the awful timings, I think an a is the realistic maximum I can achieve

Woah your school must be strict! I'm the same to be honest; my coursework is a solid A but the timing in this exam will stop me from getting an A* so I'm hoping for an A!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending